Bose Companion 3 vs. Altec Lansing FX6021

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by w_parietti22, Jun 25, 2006.

1. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Im thinking of buying either the Bose Companion 3 or the Altec Lansing FX6021. I listen to all different types of music (from country to rap) so these need to be good, all around speakers.

Which ones do you recommend?

2. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Don't know about those particular models but I've found Bose to be completely overated. Some of the best computer speakers I've had in the past have been Altec Lansing. Best bang for the buck I say.

3. jtown macrumors 6502

In my experience, you need to spend 3-6x as much on Bose to get the same quality output as "non-premium" brands. Last time I was shopping for speakers, I ignored prices/brands and went by sound. The best sounding demos were from Bose. $299. The second best (by a slim margin) were from Creative at $49. $39 after mail-in rebate. When you pay $$$ for Bose, you're buying marketing, not engineering.

And those $49 Creative speakers sounded better than the $99 Creative speakers. So don't assume the most expensive set of speakers from any given company will be the best sounding speakers they produce.

Don't pay attention to brands and prices. Go to a store that has a lot of speaker sets lined up and listen to them. After you've decided which ones sound best, you can look at prices. Forget the brands entirely unless your goal is to impress shallow people.

4. Paulhammer macrumors newbie

My brother uses the companion 3's on his computer, and they are surprisingly powerful for their small size... i can't say anything about those particular altecs, but we have a set of fairly high end altecs too, and the bose offer much richer sound in my opinion...

huge bass for a 5 or 6 inch driver! :D

Hope that helps!

5. rupalli.sen macrumors newbie

hey!! quality of bose is far rich than altec lansing!!
    i found altec lansing speakers bit uncomfortable to the ears!!
    no one can doubt the powerful woofers of altecs!!

but the quality of bass is far better in bose than altec lansing!!

6. Pili macrumors regular

I don't buy into Bose's crap most of time but I do own their companion 3's and they aren't bad overall computer speakers. They produce a fairly warm, rich sound imo and sound decent across all types of music and gaming. With that said, I wouldn't consider them to be very accurate or particularly detailed compared to a great set speakers/monitors/headphones (im comparing to my set of akg k701s through dedicated DAC) but overall they are decent. Just don't go crazy with EQ settings, maybe give them a slight treble boost and adjust the bass through the knob on the sub.