Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
I was wondering if anyone has heard how this thing sounds. I was thinking of getting it but I am pretty squeamish about not hearing it first. Any thoughts?

Bose sound dock

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
advres said:
I was wondering if anyone has heard how this thing sounds. I was thinking of getting it but I am pretty squeamish about not hearing it first. Any thoughts?

Bose sound dock

I listened to one at my Apple Store and it sounded fantastic. I'm probably going to get one...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i usually don't like bose products - i feel that they charge a premium for the name with no substance to back up the price.

and $300 is a lot of money for dedicated iPod speakers. as far as i can tell, this speaker isn't compatible with other devices, not to mention there no guarantee at all that the future versions of iPod will fit in their dock.

i think $300 could be better spent elsewhere, getting speakers/receiver combination that are more versatile.

molcas&e'sdad

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2003
Minnesota.
I have not heard the Bose speakers. I have, however, heard the Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks and they are fantastic. They are definitely worth checking out. They are connectable to an iPod (i.e., the headphone port or the audio port on the iPod dock).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
jxyama said:
i usually don't like bose products - i feel that they charge a premium for the name with no substance to back up the price.

and $300 is a lot of money for dedicated iPod speakers. as far as i can tell, this speaker isn't compatible with other devices, not to mention there no guarantee at all that the future versions of iPod will fit in their dock.

i think $300 could be better spent elsewhere, getting speakers/receiver combination that are more versatile.

excellent point! you could get a decent set of speakers, a reciever, and perhaps an airport express for just a bit more, and that would be well worth the money, or at least save the money and put some of it towards a good set of computer speakers and a dock for your ipod, then you have mulit purpose speakers and something very similar becaus of that handy line out on the dock

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
I listened to both the Bose and the little JBL speakers that look like a ring. Both sounded good, but I was more impressed with the JBL. It had by far the best bass that any of those iPod dock speakers while still being very small. The Bose speakers had good sound and base, but they are much larger and more expensive. My only gripe with the JBL ones is that you can't use them with batteries. In case anyone is wondering this link will show you which ones I am talking about: actually forget that I just pasted it and that link is too long :mad: they are called the JBL onstage speakers, you can find them at the online apple store.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
the ipodlounge reviews lumps bose and apple into a similar category by saying that people pay premium for ease of operation, etc. not sure about that... when i buy things from apple, i actually feel like i'm getting a product worth the extra money. i haven't felt that way from bose products. i just don't see where the money is going, except marketing.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
I'd get one in time for christmas, BUT..it costs £249 here, as opposed to $299 there which seems like a huge rip off. Even the guy in the Bose store recommended buying it from the US!

The Media mate and Companion 2 speakers are as bad, £90 and £99 versus approx $100.

Sigh..

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I like Bose, but you definitely pay more for the name. I decided to go with the Altec Lansing InMotion system for my iPod, which I keep at work but have taken on a fishing trip and a long stay in a hospital waiting room (used with PB for DVD's). Reasons:

• The sound is pretty good for something so small and with little separation. The bass is surprisingly good. It fills my 8 x 13 office area with ease, at far less than 1/4 volume.
• It recharges the iPod when plugged into the wall outlet.
• It comes with a plug to connect to the audio out port of a laptop or other personal audio device.
• It also runs on 4 AA batteries, as long as 24 hours.
• Folds flat for easy packing, and comes with a nice bag to stow it in.
• It only cost $100, shipping included.

But I'm sure the Bose is worth three times the price....

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
The Altec lansing ones

I have the Altec landing ipod speakers and I find that they work and sound great. They work on batterys(4 AA's) or you can plug them in. When they are pluged in they charge your ipod. I got mine for about $150 but they just redesigned them i beleave and now they cost more so.

Jaz

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Bose charge for the name first and then the product. They are ok but not the be all that they advertise themselves as. This from people I deal with who are audio experts and pros.

There are better alternatives, and many posts already point to them. I'd suggest the reciever and speakers alternative. Heck even a pair of Altec Lansing 621 and decent receiver would be better and pretty tidy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.