Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
Just because they don't plaster Dolby and DTS stickers all over their equipment doesn't mean it is not supported. Seeing a Lifestyle with DD and DTS stickers on it would be like a Mac with an Intel sticker on it.
That is not even the same thing. One is all around blasphemous and the other is just meh, sticker.

Last edited:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
So I see all this Bose hate...

Can anyone recommend a dock/speakers set?
I'm looking for one for my dad who is still using the 30pin connector. Something nice.

Airplay is probably a no go, it needs to be VERY simple. An aux input would be nice.

There isn't much Bose hate at all. The people that own Bose like their products. The people that hate them have never owned one nor would ever own one. It is no different then reading about Apple iDevices on a website dedicated to different devices. Believe me they use all the same arguments as the Bose bashers use.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Ahh the Bose Bashers are out in full swing :rolleyes:

Add those piles of crap called Beats to the list....and anything by Monster.

----------

There isn't much Bose hate at all. The people that own Bose like their products. The people that hate them have never owned one nor would ever own one. It is no different then reading about Apple iDevices on a website dedicated to different devices. Believe me they use all the same arguments as the Bose bashers use.

Agreed.

Whilst Bose are certainly not amazingly high end products (i.e Audiophile material) they are decent, and pretty well made. I've got a set of companion 5's, and they do a fine job. Do I claim they are the best? Nope, but they are a funky looking, decent quality set of speakers.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008

I'm looking for one for my dad who is still using the 30pin connector. Something nice.

Airplay is probably a no go, it needs to be VERY simple. An aux input would be nice.
Well I have tried the Sony dock at the Sony store and I really enjoyed it; but, the best suggestion is go to the local electronic store and try out a few and really see what catches your eyes.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008

Please speak for yourself. I have Bose system on my car and can't say I am a real fan of it. While the Bose system in my parents car is better it's still not up to the quality a luxury car should be coming with. I would love to the upgrade the radio in my car, but since it is Bose, it is pretty propitiatory so I can't get new speakers, a common trait of Bose equipped automobiles. :+(

----------

Add those piles of crap called Beats to the list....and anything by Monster.

Just like the people you people said people are bashing Bose because they haven't listen to it, you must have not listen to the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet, or the new Monster Diamond Tears, though gaudy, sound surprisingly really nice for something with the Monster name on it. Even some pro audiophiles are surprised by Monsters latest efforts and are saying they are almost worth the cost if you enjoy your bass a bit on the punchy. Seriously the guys at Head-fi are being surprised that Monster could actually sound worth the price. Now their EX-Beats line is crap.

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Spot on.

Both companies have excellent Marketing. You can purchase an equivalent performing hardware for less. Though people buy apple cause it works. Well fact is, so does BOSE. Though if you know your stuff, just like with computers you can get better performance. Lots of people cannot be arsed and just want a package that is easy to setup, had excellent support and looks good. I actually assume most Apple owners are drawn to Bose products actually.

----------

You are much better off Googling, Bose paper cones ;)

This is the BOSE response to your papergate!

You may ask "Why does Bose use “paper” cones ?

Bose uses cone materials that best achieve the design goals of the specific application, rather than appeal to the latest trend. The material used on the woofers is
better described as “fiber composite.” (Fibers include cellulose [paper], wool, polyester, and several other materials.) The process used to fabricate fiber-consistent composite cones is actually more sophisticated than the molding process typically used to create polymer cones.

The technological advantage provided by fiber composite over most plastics is a higher stiffness-to-mass ratio. The result is smooth, natural bass response with less coloration usually caused by cone deformation. The fiber composite selected by Bose also withstands much higher operating temperatures than commonly used polymers, resulting in added reliability

Funktion One's use paper cones as well. Pretty sure they are the best loud speakers out there.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Wow the Bose haters are out in force!

I have a pair of QC15s which I use for my daily commute. If anybody can show me a better sounding pair of active noise cancelling headphones, with the same build quality and customer support, for less - I'll be incredibly surprised.

The cable broke on them (after 18 months) - Bose next-day shipped a replacement cable to me. Compare that to my experience with Klipsch - the left earbud stopped working. I sent them off to them, they sent them back after 2 weeks saying "we don't repair these, send them back to where you bought them from", except they wouldn't listen since it was over 1 year. I had to send klipsch's refusal to my CC company to get them to refund (and the Klipsch were almost as expensive as the Bose).

To the person who mentioned B&O - <3. Their gear sounds amazing (although a little on the Bassy side), and yes, it's expensive, but it holds its value. 10 year old TVs still sell for way over a grand, whilst similarly aged audio equipment sometimes sells for > RRP. With B&O audio equipment, providing you look after it, it'll be a worthy investment (I have the A8, but they've yet to say anything about the lightning connector :().

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008

I don't know why it doesn't get as much love but I have the Harman Kardon GO+PLAY and it works awesome. They haven't even been updated in awhile though so who knows if something is coming down the pipeline.

If you have the space check it out. Side by side with the Bose (my friend has one) it blows it out of the water IMO.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Oh yeah. Thats a cool story. Cause you clearly know what Steve jobs would or would not have done.

Same thing can be said about people who said "This would not had happened under Steve Jobs." So yea...that doesn't work at all.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
No highs, no lows...must be Bose.

Bose:

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

Bose...selling a $300 surround system to the ill informed for $2200.

Bose...the power of marketing.

"Why don't you buy a Bose system? I hear they are the best."

"Who told you that?"

"They did."

I'm very interested in the boldes part. I readily admit I am uninformed on speakers and probably Bose's target audience. Anyway, as for the boldes part, I assume that's in reference to the Bose Lifestyle system (I think that's what it's called). So, what is the $300 equivalent? Very interested.

Or is it a secret?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Add those piles of crap called Beats to the list....and anything by Monster..

Agree with this, ooohhh look at the look at me too headphones... shame the professionals all use Sennhieser and Shure etc, in fact I bet hardly anyone has heard of Shure? Funny how no one realises the people who made the equipment used by the pop stars they are listening to on their Beats make headphones for the same price as those Beats....

But I am also a fan of Bowers and Wilkins.

But sound quality is in the ear of the beholder I guess, everyones tastes are different, but I think too many people are attracted to trends and brand design and throw money away on products.
I think Bose sounds pretty good, a bit out of my price range but nice sounding.

Like I said, I'm just waiting for a Pure or maybe even Sony DAB clock radio with a lightning dock, hopefully by February as that's my birthday :)

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Shure is nice :) regarding the beats audio they sound good also but like popular brands on the overprice side.

I use IEM only anyway, either UE or JH.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I'm very interested in the boldes part. I readily admit I am uninformed on speakers and probably Bose's target audience. Anyway, as for the boldes part, I assume that's in reference to the Bose Lifestyle system (I think that's what it's called). So, what is the $300 equivalent? Very interested.

Or is it a secret?

There is no $300 equivalent. $300 Home Theater in a Box systems don't sound like a Lifestyle or work like one. Now there is no doubt that a person can easily put together a system for around $1,000+ that will sound as good as a Lifestyle if small speakers are used or better if larger ones are used. The Lifestyle actually does very well for what they are attempting to do. Ever look at a Jewel Cube speaker or even a Direct-Reflect array for that matter? They are small and even the bass module is tiny compared to most systems on the market. Bose has done their best to get the most out of those little things and they do well, however at a certain point there is just no compromise for size.

So is there a Bose tax? Well yes sort of like an Apple tax, however both have features and ease of set-up and use that are not found with comparable systems. A Lifestyle system is very intuitive and is simple to operate compared to most Home Theater receivers.

Anyhow most of what I have said will fall on deaf ears for the Bose bashers. They will just keep repeating the same old tired lines over and over again, but then again the Apple bashers will do the same thing. Just buy what you like and enjoy it.

One of my favorite things to listen to music on is still my Bose Wave Radio with the Bluetooth adapter. A lot of people complain the Wave colors the sound and almost makes it sound "too good" if that makes any sense. Well I happen to like how it sounds plus I like the fact it is probably the last Made in the USA radio on the market.

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
Wow the Bose haters are out in force!

I have a pair of QC15s which I use for my daily commute. If anybody can show me a better sounding pair of active noise cancelling headphones, with the same build quality and customer support, for less - I'll be incredibly surprised.

Likely no one will be able to. I flew ~85,000 miles this year and 99.9% of noise canceling headphones I saw were Bose.....I won't fly without mine.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Any of the Bose haters wanna tell me an iPhone dock that costs the same or less, but sounds just as good?

Exactly. Everyone knows you can't be beat Bose. The dock is one of the best there is.

El Burro

Suspended
Sep 7, 2009
I am very informed and I am quite happy with my Lifestyle V20. I have been using it for several years no issues and I will be using it for many more years. Whenever I do have a question or issue I can count on someone that is knowledgeable answering the phone from Framingham, MA that will take care of my issue even if the warranty period is over.

Go ahead and buy whatever you want and then when you have an issue deal with people that can't even speak English and put you on hold for 30 minutes. Been there done that.

When you charge extra premium prices on cheaply made products, you damn well better offer above average customer support.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You must not have read the manual for the T-class or V-class systems very closely. Because it is in there. It does not talk a lot about using them because they are automatically selected depending on what the source material.

Even my last generation V20 supports these audio formats. I even took a picture of it playing both of them, not that you will believe it. Most Bose bashers will never accept that they are wrong even when evidence is presented.

Well, if we are going to accuse each other of not reading, I'll point once again to my original post that said they appear to decode the on-disc codecs and then output their own version of surround. Which you've ignored all day. See, that means I understand that they "support" them. I'm asking what they DO with the audio. And the regulatory portion of the manual really doesn't say anything at all.

They were super-proud for years about how they refused to run Dolby. Now they do everything they can to avoid mentioning it, when they've been forced to include it by bluray and popular demand. I would love to see some actual statement by Bose about ANYthing that wasn't a price.

I'm glad you're happy with your stuff.

----------

Any of the Bose haters wanna tell me an iPhone dock that costs the same or less, but sounds just as good?

Exactly. Everyone knows you can't be beat Bose. The dock is one of the best there is.
There has been very little "hate" for the dock speaker systems. There are a few whining about price, but just ignore that. Pay attention, Bose has many products and people are talking about various different ones.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
[/COLOR]
There has been very little "hate" for the dock speaker systems. There are a few whining about price, but just ignore that. Pay attention, Bose has many products and people are talking about various different ones.

You pay attention, and answer the question I asked, not one you invented in your head. I asked for the name of a comparable/cheaper dock, not a summary of the thread.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
You pay attention, and answer the question I asked, not one you invented in your head. I asked for the name of a comparable/cheaper dock, not a summary of the thread.

Chill mate, that guy was not attacking you :eek:

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008

Or is it a secret?
I would think something from like Klipsch, JBL, even Sony or just Audioengine speakers and a subwoofer would do a job just as good for substantially less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.