Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Grood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Need to fill a fairly big living room with good quality sound.

It's come down to a straight choice between the Bose SoundDock and Apple Hifi.

Does anyone have any good reasons to recommend one above the other?

Ordering tomorrow so all advice/experiences (rational and otherwise) gratefully received.

(Apologies if this has been covered before - did a search but couldn't find anything this specific.)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I believe MacWorld had a review comparing these two and a few more. Most of the time Apple HiFi came out ahead, but if you serach it on their website you could probably find more info there.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
theBB said:
I believe MacWorld had a review comparing these two and a few more. Most of the time Apple HiFi came out ahead, but if you serach it on their website you could probably find more info there.

I agree. Almost everywhere I have looked, the iPod Hi-Fi came out on top, but not by much. I would pay the extra $49 for looks alone. It had to grow on me, but I really like how it looks. The overall design could be much better, but it's all about the sound, isn't it?

Anyway, check out some reviews. Chances are very good that there will be a comparison to the Bose SoundDock in a few of them. Altec Lansing has an excellent iPod speaker system, by the way. You may want to check that one out also. It's much more portable than the iPod Hi-Fi and SoundDock if that makes any difference.

Edit: Here is a good source. I didn't read the entire thing, but I did notice they instantly compared it to the SoundDock. So that may help. :)

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I've listened to both speakers in person quite a bit (at my local Apple store...)

My mom has the 'Klipsh Speakers' - they're in the same price range, and are competent with the Bose Speakers...

...but the Apple Hi-Fi blows both sets away. It can get extremely loud while retaining very high-quality sound. I know it has been ripped apart a number of times on this board, and I too agree that it in itself did not require a 'media event', it is a very competent and affordable (all things considering) iPod speaker dock.

My Pick: Apple Hi-Fi

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I have the Apple HiFi product, my room mate has the Bose SoundDock product. The Apple product just sounds better. Plus the Bose product feels like a toy in comparison but the sound is good enough.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i dont understand everyones praise of the the apple hifi. i compared them to the JBL creatures and the hifi sounded weak. pretty bad if you compare them to the creatures. however i understand the the hifi speaker system works with the iPod directly so is this why your considering it over other quality products.

Edit: if you want the sound to fill your living room and your looking at an apple hifi i think your going down the wrong road. consider JBL creatures and contect that to your iPod doc and use a remote to control the iPod. the JBL creatures are around $80 and sound way way way better than the hifi. go to the apple store and see for yourself. i think the hifi is for people that want a portable solution for their iPod which its probably good for but side to side comparisons of the creatures to the hifi, there's no contest and your saving boat loads of money.

The Grood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Ta for all the advice - was leaning towards the HiFi... sounded big enough in the store.

Esp thanks pOintblank: link to PCMag article very useful.

Already have soundsticks in the kitchen. Like them, but want fewer cables/components in the living room.

A mate's JBL creatures are OK but just get that little bit tinny at the top end (IMO).

Any more thoughts? Order time 10 hours and counting...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I tried both the Bose SoundDock and the Apple HiFi out side-by-side and the Apple HiFi totally blew the SoundDock away. I just don't like the look of it though.

I had already bought the Altec Lansing iM7 a couple of weeks before the iPod HiFi was released. In terms of overall sound quality and depth, I'd say the Apple offering wins, but the iM7 is a good runner-up. The SoundDock just doesn't cut it and personally I find the sound 'bland' in comparison.

If you'd like any more info about the iM7, please check out the review and pics I posted a while back, which can be found here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.