Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
It's ridiculous that these companies can sue for these vague patents which cover things like "design," "look" or "feel."

Wow, you're fast. You've already read all 36 patents/applications and determined they are only 'design, look or feel'.

What about this one? "United States Patent No. 6,717,537, called “Method and Apparatus for Minimizing Latency in Digital Signal Processing Systems,'

Or this one. "United States Patent No. 6,717,537, “Method and Apparatus for Minimizing Latency in Digital Signal Processing Systems,”.

Or "United States Patent No. 8,073,151: “Dynamically Configurable ANR Filter Block Technology".

I haven't read them but they sure sound like a bit more than just 'design, look or feel'.

(Thanks to TechCrunch for the references to these patents).

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Bose probably should have done this before Apples team of battle hardened patent lawyers were backing Beats up....

agreed. we all know they were going for more money but i mean, a few million right now vs maybe a lot more or a lot less 10 years down the road? is it really worth it? lol. Even if apple quit making products they would still be a legal company because i feel like their lawyers are the Seal Team 6 in White Collar Wonderland

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
not surprised - just another reason Beats is the garbage that everyone with half a brain knows they are

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Bose felt threatened. For the longest time they were the #1 name in expensive sub par audio equipment until Dre came around and took the crown.

Bang and Olufsen is pretty good at selling overpriced audio equipment. Granted, at least they are good quality but still way overpriced for what you get.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I got even money that says none of you could tell the difference between a pair of Bose and a pair of Beats headsets blindfolded.

No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose.

On the other hand Beats has so much Lows that they even ad bass that isn't there.

I'll keep my Audio-Technica M50's

Last edited by a moderator:

LACW

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
Beats used to have crappy noise canceling so i've heard; but I've also heard that their noise cancellation has gotten better with the new version.
which might have explained why.
I wonder if this news will actually help beats to gain a few more customers before the final judgement...

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
LOL, yes, I would have thought the Beats noise cancellation technology was to just turn up the volume.

You apparently haven't used the Bose QuietComfort 20 headphones before. For someone who is on an airplane multiple times every week they are pretty remarkable. I literally tried dozens of headphones before I bought these and these can't be touched.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose.

On the other hand Beats has so much Lows that they even ad bass that isn't there.

I'll keep my Audio-Technica M50's

See I used to buy into the party line and scoffed Beats as being too bass-y. Then I listened to a friend's Studios, granted they're not the best headphones I've ever heard, but they're far from being the bass heavy mess everyone claims them to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.