Bose. Why do people buy it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by acj, Nov 8, 2003.

1. acj macrumors 6502

Why do people think a speaker system commonly sold at WalMart and Sams Club is good?

2. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: Bose. Why do people buy it?

Go listen to them and find out. Just because they are sold at WalMart and Sams means nothing.

3. acj thread starter macrumors 6502

I've listened

Just because their sound is terrible means everything.

4. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: I've listened

:rolleyes: someone enlighten this guy.....

5. acj thread starter macrumors 6502

So many people are influenced by their tricky advertising and it’s enormous budget, with fancy store displays with motorized speaker arms, or even dedicated “Bose rooms” found at fry’s electronics and the like. They can't even call their "bass module" a subwoofer because it doesn't produce deep bass below 45 Hz. It is a 7th order bandpass design known for high efficiency and uncontrolled bass, made from thin, low-density fiberboard. Their jewl-cube speakers produce nearly nothing above 13,000 Hz. Direct OEM replacement drivers for the jewl-cubes are $35 a pair. The overall frequency response of the system is plagued with giant peaks and valleys. A mid-bass peak and a mid-trebel peak gives the impression of powerful base and crisp highs, but ignores important percussion frequencies, male vocals, and deep base.

The $350 Wave radio is easily beaten in every respect by an old discontinued $180 Cambridge soundworks model 88. The $500 wave radio CD and even the $1079 Acoustic Wave system is blown away by the new, smaller $400 Cambridge Soundworks CD 740 found at www.hifi.com.

6. acj thread starter macrumors 6502

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: I've listened

I've been fighting this battle for a while. Many people only associate the Acoustimass line with Bose. They don't even know how the company made its name far before that line existed.

I have a pair of 901s in front, a VCS-10 at centre, and a pair of 601s for surround. The worst things I've heard about these is that they're not good for the studio--a place where they were never intended to go.

The funny thing is that several people who have knocked Bose think that low quality mp3 and AAC files have good sound. :rolleyes:

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I've listened

Agreed PCM audio all the way. I have a pair of Energy C5's hooked up to my NAD amp and finally my computer and Denon CD player. Would have loved to buy the C7's but couldn't come up with the cash.
    I also had a listen to the Bose 601's when deciding, they sounded pretty dam good but couldn't go as hard as the energy's and were $400AUD more expencive.

would love to own a pair of Dali Euphonia MS5's

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think acj is referring to the consumer modular system that Bose have been touting for a while, not the much more accomplished pro series like the aforementioned 601's.

manitoubalck is right about them being unsuitable for studio work, they simply aren't flat enough for monitor work, but they are certainly good speaker systems for most live and home use.

10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Thanks for spreading the word on Bose. I never knew, but I don't care much for high end audio. My TiBook speakers usually do quite fine. ;) :D

11. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I visited a Bose store at the Mall of America that happens to be just a few feet away from an Apple store. I had been considering purchasing a pair of headphones before I stopped by. The sales rep lied when I asked about the frequency range. He let me try a brand new pair in a closed studio. They really sucked. I was surpised at the number of crackles, pops, and dropouts I heard. I thought that it might of been a problem with the stereo. However, when I politely asked the sales rep about it he gut all huffy and shoved me out the door. Since he was unable to account for the poor sound, apparently Bose just sucks and he knew it. I decided to avoid all Bose products in the future.:mad:

12. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I dunno man, we had some old (~25-30) year old bose speakers in our house that we just put in the basement when we got a surround system, and they had really good sound to them. I'm no expert by any means, but I have a pretty good ear, and I wouldn't say they "sucked"

13. acj thread starter macrumors 6502

Bose speakers are sold at an audiophile price but they do not provide audiophile quality. Especially the ridiculous design of the 901s. The pair has what, a total of 36 4.5” paper midrange drivers? They seem to be proud that their flagship speaker was designed in 1968. I’m really sorry to knock a product you spent so much on, but luckily you could probably sell it and buy something better.

Many people will be very happy with them because they don’t have the ear to tell any difference. They associate powerful sound with good sound.

14. leet1 macrumors 6502

My friend has a bose surround sound, is great. I don't have any real personal experience with them other than watching movies over there with her. They sound excellent, good bass and everything.

I only have an audio system in my car though. Infinity is good :D

15. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Has anyone read about the new type of speakers this guy developed? They emit sound waves at an ultra sonic frequency, which is inaudible, until they resonate through your skull, which causes a frequency shift so that the sound is literally in your head. It has many applications, and seems really cool, but I cant remember what its called...

16. iGav macrumors G3

17. mangoduck macrumors regular

from my observation, solid lows are only produced by moving large volumes of air efficiently. there is no way some tiny tiny sub is going to do this. also, midtones aren't going to resonate properly in a space barely big enough for a tweeter. floor speakers or studio monitors are the way to go.

18. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

JBl if all you want is Drum and Bass
    Harmankardon is a sub of JBL,

Top 10 in my view in no particular order
    B&W (classic,)
    KEFF(Big, bold, warm, sound,)
    KRIX (local Adelaide brand that supplies all Movie theaters in AUS,)
    Energy (especally the connoisseur midrange speakers,)
    Dali (Ribbon tweater,)
    B&O (Active tech,)
    Marage (do these guys still exist,)
    Yamaha (the best of the Japs,)
    VAF (local Adelaide brand that makes great Reference speakers,)
    Mackie (Active speakers for all your sound needs >120dB)

There's probabley brands that should be here that aren't but this is just how I see it.

19. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

It does depend what you want your speakers to do, Hifi speakers are generically coloured, they have extended bass and HF response and are boosted at around 4-5Khz to enhance the vocal lines. This is done deliberately to make the listening experience better, no-one wants speakers to sound crap.

Monitor speakers are a different story, they are as flat in their frequency response as they can be designed to be, this is so engineers can assess the state of the audio they are recording "if it sounds crap, then it's crap" as the saying goes. If I play a bad CD on my hifi I would like it to sound OK, on my monitors I want it to be exactly as crap as it is.

Speakers are also very sensetive to the ampifiers they are paired with, hifi amps are again coloured, and are rarely class A, studio amps are flat, and many are designed to complement particular speakers, like Dynaudio and the Chameleon amp range.

For my money, the Dynaudio monitor range is the best in the world, the BM6a nearfields are excellent in small spaces and the M1's are the boss in any studio.

The M4a system is used in AIR Lyndhurst in London, George Martin's studio, and they are the best sounding main m onitors I've ever heard. At £28K (UK) they'd better be.

I have KEF 105.4 reference speakers for the hifi and a pair of B&W 802s in the home studio. Both are powered by Quad amps.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i really like bose, especially in home theater. we have a bose setup through out our living room and it sounds great. my friend has even a better setup in his house and its crazy. such crystal clear and loud sound, and a huge ass sub behingthe big screen, makes me feel like im in a movie theater. i wish bose was a good in cars. My acura tl type s came with a bose stereo, and its pretty good, just good enough for me not want to spend 2g's and put a new system in my car, plus i can control the volume from the steering wheel.

iJon

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

9 drivers in each cabinet. 4 on each angle in the rear, 1 facing forward.

It's unfortunate that you criticise without any real knowledge. It's apparent that you've not listened to anything but the consumer products or you would have a bit more respect for the sound. If you want to bash the Acoustimass line, I'm all for it, though. They have no redeeming qualities other than being small and out of sight.

For that matter, the Wave Radio is basically a clock radio for the rich. It has good, compelling sound but like clock radios costing $50, lacks accuracy and bass.

22. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I read something in Pop Mechanics about this technology. It allows you to broadcast sound like a laser up to 500 feet, I think. The problem with home use is it has to be pointed directly at you to work, so you can't really shift in your seat. However, think about retinal scans and custom tailored advertisements (ie Vanilla Sky).

This would also work great for cell phones when privacy in a room is extremly important. With on the fly encryption and this tech cell phones would be totally silent from 1 inch away.

Another practical application for this technology is military use. Get a bunch of these "speakers" and blast mind-piercing noise at the enemy. They can cover their ears, but the noise will persist. It's hard to fight back when all you can hear is a 500 db screech in your head. You could defeat an army without firing a shot.

I should work for the DOD.....

23. Gyroscope macrumors regular

In my humble opinion, as long as you listen to lot of electronica or techno stuff any pair of low end speakers will do. Seriously!
    Best way to tell difference between crappy/decent/top notch speakers is to listen some acoustic stuff. Here, at least for me Denon comes first. There is just no way other speakers can reproduce that live-like sound of guitar like Denon can.

So if you go with Denon you can't go wrong .

24. maluscanis macrumors member

Sure Denon makes awesome stuff...but so do a number of other companies. I would have a hard time saying that one company is really better than another...oftentimes it is just a matter of finding the best speaker for the money...

trust me when I say that if you spend over 10 thousand for a speaker pair you will be getting pretty good sound quality.

As far as Bose goes...I have a good ear and I believe they offer a good bang for the buck...I wouldn't one personally as I think there are some better alternatives out there...Martin Logan's just because they look cool...Klipsch offers some excellent stuff in the sub-$1500 category...Denon...B&W...and a host of others