Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Diatribe said:
I'm with Abstract on that one. 3 countries in North America and Mexico is definitely one of them. Where'd you go to school? :p :D

Some place where they talked about warshing clothes and where the capital of the U.S. was Warshington, D.C. :D

A lot of things have changed, though. We don't say Asia Minor any more--we say Middle East, too.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
bousozoku said:
Some place where they talked about warshing clothes and where the capital of the U.S. was Warshington, D.C. :D

A lot of things have changed, though. We don't say Asia Minor any more--we say Middle East, too.

True. But then again, Russia is smaller now too, Australia not part of the Commonwealth and in Germany fell the wall... :eek: who'da thunk that? :D

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
floyde said:
The spaniards covered them to help the locals forget their "heathen" Gods? I think I once heard that, but I'm not sure. It still is a lot of dirt though... Anyway, does this mean that there's a forgotten Bosnian civilization that we know nothing about? That'd be pretty cool.

Yeah, let's blame it on the spaniards. :D You're right though they built their churches, etc. on top of/next to the the pyramids, etc. Just think of the Templo Mayor in D.F.
I think in areas like this (Bosnia) it's just natural vegetation that covered the pyramids.
But as you said, I am mighty interested in what civilization built them.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
bousozoku said:
Some place where they talked about warshing clothes and where the capital of the U.S. was Warshington, D.C. :D.
So you know my father? Man, that drives me crazy!

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
dmw007 said:
Makes you wonder what could be buried right underneath
your very own feet. ;) :)
The last git who tried to sell me double glazing - after walking past my double glazing.
This is very interesting - I'd love to know who built them, and if there's anything in them.
The Egyptian pyramids were tombs, the South/ Central/ North American ones were like altars, right? My Inca/ Aztec/ gambling history is a bit rusty. So what were these for? Oh the questions.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Diatribe said:
True. But then again, Russia is smaller now too, Australia not part of the Commonwealth and in Germany fell the wall... :eek: who'da thunk that? :D

Indeed. I knew some Jugoslavians from Macaedonia (then, a Jugoslavian state) but the father was from Albania. The fighting between the different parts of the country was only held down because of the communists. Just hearing the stories that they told about the father being imprisoned by his father-in-law was enough of a clue to see what would happen should communism fall there. At least, no one wanted to destroy these pyramids.

emw said:
So you know my father? Man, that drives me crazy!

I probably don't know him but yeah, it sounds awful. They kept attacking me because I didn't have the accent. Of course, being the only Japanese in a school that was 99 % white didn't help. :p

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
the speculations are that (if they are really buildings) they might be from the stone age. It's hard to imagine such structures not to be mentioned in greek and roman chronicles if they were built or even visible in their times.

maybe egyptian exiles from 2000 BC? :)

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
While it's true that Spaniards destroyed or coopted many temples/monuments/pyramids, they also ended up building sometimes on what they thought was a hill and turned out to be a pyramid that had long been covered over.

And folks, geographical groupings can be defined in different ways. Greenland is part of the North American continent, as is "Central America."

hmmfe

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2003
miloblithe said:
And folks, geographical groupings can be defined in different ways. Greenland is part of the North American continent, as is "Central America."

Thank you. This old geography major was about to take a warm bath with a bottle of vodka and a razor blade...

hmmfe

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2003
dmw007 said:
Darn, sounds like your fun was ruined hmmfe. ;) :)

Noticed you live in Lebanon, PA. Used to live near Harrisburg and miss the bologna. Attended the festival a few times. If it weren't for the bad weather, I'd love to live in that area again.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
hmmfe said:
Noticed you live in Lebanon, PA. Used to live near Harrisburg and miss the bologna. Attended the festival a few times. If it weren't for the bad weather, I'd love to live in that area again.

Yes, the best bologna in the world is made right here in Lebanon, PA! :D

It is a nice area to live in, I don't really mind the weather that much. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
dmw007 said:
:eek: That is very cool- pyramids in Europe. :)

Makes you wonder what could be buried right underneath
your very own feet. ;) :)

Right now I'm in Diggle. I'll just say "Myra Hindley" and not a word more.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Here's a better shot...

Pic attached from another news site...

Attachments

• PH2006041902271.jpg
    PH2006041902271.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 86

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
Onizuka said:
Archeologists have uncovered the outer wall of a massive pyramid in Bosnia. Satelite technology has also suggested that there are two other smaller structures beneath the ground as well. This is the 1st evidence of pyramids in Europe.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12402157/

This sounds fascinating, however we already know about pyramids in Europe. The one found in Greece is concidered to be older than even those of Egypt. Check these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_of_Hellinikon

http://www.ancientgr.com/Unknown_Hellenic_History/Eng/hellinico_pyrmid_eng.htm

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
emaja said:
This NYT article debunks the story as an accident of geology.

It does nothing of the sort. All it does is show that archaeologists are doubtful that such a massive structure could have been built when it was. The physical evidence is quite compelling especially when coupled with the satellite imaging. Especially when you consider that nowhere else in Bosnia, much less the Balkans does such a thing occur.

Of course politics is what this is all about to the naysayers, you wouldn't happen to be Serbian or Croatian would you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.