Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crackintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
On the day of the keynote speech I sadly had to buy a 17" PB. On the morning of the keynote I suggested to my boss that we get a PB for a presentation that we are doing later this month. He thought this was a great idea and told me to buy one. What I didnt know however was that the macbooks werent shipping until FEBRUARY! So here I am stuck with a G4 because of my own greed! I will be on a returning flight from our presentation on the last day of the 14-day return policy. Hopefully I can get apple on the line and get that thing returned in time to get a refund that I can put towards a new macbook. If not I am stuck with this damned thing for the next 5 years.

Everything I had been waiting for is now down the drain.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2005
crackintosh said:
If not I am stuck with this damned thing for the next 5 years.

I get your point and circumstance....BUT, I could think of worse things to be STUCK with!

Even though it is not the Intel it is still a wonderful machine, and as someone else put it, just because a newer machine is released does not make yours suddenly slower or less of a machine. I am using a 667 TiBook from 2002 and besides upgrading the HD and Ram it runs Tiger and all the rest of my stuff just fine.

Another thought is Ebay...market it as the last and best revision of PPC!

dank

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2005
Canada
Don't return

crackintosh said:
On the day of the keynote speech I sadly had to buy a 17" PB. On the morning of the keynote I suggested to my boss that we get a PB for a presentation that we are doing later this month. He thought this was a great idea and told me to buy one. What I didnt know however was that the macbooks werent shipping until FEBRUARY! So here I am stuck with a G4 because of my own greed! I will be on a returning flight from our presentation on the last day of the 14-day return policy. Hopefully I can get apple on the line and get that thing returned in time to get a refund that I can put towards a new macbook. If not I am stuck with this damned thing for the next 5 years.

I have been PowerBook user about 10 years now. I upgraded less than a year all the time (except current 17", almost year and half). Now I will buy 17" PowerBook HR soon since I do not want get MacTel PowerBook, not another year or two. I am using 17" 1.5 Ghz now, so not much to upgrade except finer screen and bigger hard drive but I know all software run rock solid. I want to buy last model of PowerPC PowerBook, so I can wait few years so software and hardware issues are all worked out and run most software native. My job depends on it, I cannot take chance that any software glitch my have with new chip.
Can you imagine crash middle of your presentation?

Dan K.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Well,

These stories do always hurt. It is hard for me to imagine how it must feel, but it is true that you're getting an awesome machine.

If everything else fails, you will still have a great machine, to work with. I'll think you'll like it.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
"The 17" MBP is still not available yet, so you should be happy that you can enjoy the gorgeous screen on the 17" PB today!":rolleyes:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
generik said:
"The 17" MBP is still not available yet, so you should be happy that you can enjoy the gorgeous screen on the 17" PB today!":rolleyes:

Yeah, no complaining. Who paid for it? You or your boss?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Jesus what a lame post - OH MY LIFE SUCKS I HAVE THE BEST APPLE NOTEBOOK YOU CAN CURRENTLY BUY - if it's a work machine you have no reason to complain. The fact that you suggested it to your boss sounds to me like your work paid for it, if they did you really have no reason to complain at all. If you paid for it well you should of waited until the end of the keynote, my work could never get me to buy something for work purposes they would always have to pay. :rolleyes:

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
wattage said:
I get your point and circumstance....BUT, I could think of worse things to be STUCK with!

Hehe, Wife, 10 children and a morgage. heh. :eek: :eek: :D and a giant wart on your nose.

Edit: And a siamese twin stuck to your pepe (Sorry I hope I don't offend too many people here.)

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
crackintosh said:
my boss paid for it. :p

I would be crying myself to sleep every night if I got a deal like yours on this POS computer that you complain about. If you feel that this machine is outdated and worthless I will gladly take it off your hands after you convince your boss in a few months that you need the 17" MacBook Pro.
:D

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
TheMasin9 said:
how true is that, while it may not be the latest and greatest, it IS the next best thing. I sure wouldnt mind having a 17 er.

Actually it is the greatest and latest 17" PowerBook.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
crackintosh said:

Don't feel bad you've got a great machine coming. If you have to return it by all means, but you shouldn't feel slighted that you're going to be using a nice, well-revised Powerbook G4.

Appreciate what you have. :D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Give it to me.

Actually, I am waiting for Revision B and Universal Binaries of CS Suite and Aperture.

Then, my wallet comes out for a 15" model.

You shouldn't be upset, you have a fine machine there.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
That is a fine machine. I plan on keeping this 15" 1.5ghz powerbook until the AppleCare runs out on it in another year and a half. I just hope it runs stuff decently for that long. Then I am going to buy the latest and great MacBook Pro, or whatever it is called then. Anyway, I think that is a great machine, and if my boss bought it for me, I would be stoked about it. Enjoy it, and quite worrying about it.;)

dredakiss

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
we gotta get out of here!
Similar problem with solution

I almost fell into the same boat as you. I couldnt hold out, and ended up buying an iMac g5 before the new year, mostly because I expected apple to upgrade the lower end of their computers first. So I'm sure you can imagine my frustration when I received it on the day of the keynote (yep... not even kidding). I called apple, and they're willing to exchange it, even though it was a custom built one. So now, they're going to get an extra grand or so out of me for the new top of the line macbook pro. Plus Im gonna buy my mom a Mac too. Although they may lose out right now, they got a customer for a long time.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
iGary said:
Give it to me.

Actually, I am waiting for Revision B and Universal Binaries of CS Suite and Aperture.

Then, my wallet comes out for a 15" model.

You shouldn't be upset, you have a fine machine there.
I'm doing the same. I'm holding out for intel's next gen processors. This current new gen (yohan) is pretty crappy when compared to Dothan's stats and speculated battery life. Not only that Yohan chips are only 32 bit chips. Thats going to kind of limit their software selection in future year. I for one am totally satisfied by my 12 inch ibook (I'm so happy with it that I might just keep it till I'm done with college). Its also kind of cool knowing you own one of the last completely original macs with little to no shared hardware.

f1restarter

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
London
Thats one good thing about the current Apple G4 powerbooks i.e they're now a collector's item, especially the 12" G4 Powerbook. :cool:

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
javiercr said:
I am stuc with a Dell d600 for work, no I am not sorry for you! :)

Word! I'm sitting here at work bangin' away on a POS Gateway lappy. I HATE this friggin' machine so much. I would gladly swap it for an iBook or PB no matter what generation it was.

I use to be one who pooh poohed those that say that Mac keep their value longer but aside from WANTING the latest and greatest macs, my 1.25 iMac does just fine with Tiger, iLife, and all the other apps I own. Its three years old and though I sometimes plot its untimely death (only so that I can upgrade to the new iMac) I must admit that it more than meets my current needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.