Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
I'm trying to use my digital optical input to record onto my iMac or my MacBook and neither will recognize a signal. I've tried using 2 separate sources on both computers. I am unable to record in GarageBand or Soundtrack Pro. Is there a step I am missing or a program I need?

Please help!

Thank you!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Is the digital input recognized in System Preferences > Sound > Input?

Has re-connecting them worked?

What specific cables and adapters do you use and from what source do you want to record?

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
I'm using a TOSLINK cable with a 3.5mm adapter. I'm trying to record audio from my DVR for a project with school. I've attempted to connect to two separate DVRs (Same make & model) to both computers to try to get the signal recognized. In system preferences, it shows Digital In as an option under input. I have that selected. When I try to record (thinking perhaps it doesn't allow me to monitor) all I get are clicks and scratches.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm using a TOSLINK cable with a 3.5mm adapter. I'm trying to record audio from my DVR for a project with school. I've attempted to connect to two separate DVRs (Same make & model) to both computers to try to get the signal recognized. In system preferences, it shows Digital In as an option under input. I have that selected. When I try to record (thinking perhaps it doesn't allow me to monitor) all I get are clicks and scratches.

The SPDIF standard has a flag in the data the is called "copy restrict". If what you are trying to record is copyrighted then that bit will be set and you can't copy it.

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
So the Optical In is really just a gimmick from Apple unless you have expensive equipment that will only record vocals? Seems kind of pointless to me.

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
So the Optical In is really just a gimmick from Apple unless you have expensive equipment that will only record vocals? Seems kind of pointless to me.

It's not pointless if your source material output doesn't tell the mac it's copy protected!

jltnol

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
And

it's also possible that if the source is in some encoded form... Dolby perhaps, then it's not a 2 channel stereo track, and therefore won't be recordable any anything.

Try putting a standard audio CD into your DVD player, then try to record it thru the digital input. If you get this step to work, then the audio you are trying to copy is either NOT stereo, IS copy protected, or both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.