Bottle Tops

Discussion in 'Community' started by roadapple, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadapple macrumors regular

Would like your thoughts.

Why do some "premium" beer manufactures use the traditional style bottle caps that require an opener, instead of a twists off cap? I think the twist off would be the premium way to go. And why is the chore of going back to the kitchen to get an opener a sign of a good drink?

Oh, and yes, I do have the day off today :D

2. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Nothing drives me nuts like a scratched hand from a crappy Heineken. Twists off are worth the cost, but still some brewers still will not use them. :confused:

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I always have 2 or 3 church keys on my person so it doesn't really bother me.

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
  5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Other kind of alcohol bottle top....

But tonight I had a slight oops when I picked up a bottle of good NZ Chardonnay, tried to peel off the plastic at the top and then just gave up and stuck the corkscrew in the top - it's one of those Alessi women ones that hid the top of the bottle. The corkscrew didn't go properly into the cork so I unscrewed it and took it off to discover.... a screwtop bottle (doh!) :eek:

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Never bothered me much... I got a metal wall-mounted opener, put a small plastic garbage can under it and just go from the fridge to the opener directly. You have to walk past it to get out of the kitchen anyway, so it's literally only 2 extra seconds to pop that top.

Plus I've had too many bad experiences with alleged twist-offs that cut into my hand anyway.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think the word "tradition" in your question is the key to the answer. They may be selling liquid, but marketing is as much about image. Giving in to modern conveniences like twist caps may be seen to conflict with the traditional image used to promote the products.

Would people like wine bottles to have a Bluetooth-operated top that pops on and off at the touch of a remote control, rather than use a corkscrew? It might be convenient, but it wouldn't have the same elegance, so don't look for it anytime soon. (Hmmm, which wine bottle would James Bond use... hi-tech or traditional?)

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're spot on Doc... many winemakers are considering a switch to a synthetic cork because it prevents some forms of deterioration much better than a traditional cork, but they run into heavy resistance from wine buyers who would rather risk spoiled wine than give up their comfort-inducing cork corks.

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

true. several high-end producers actually bottle with synthetic corks for storage/aging and then re-cork immediately prior to distribution with natural cork.

10. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Tip: To avoid ripping your hand apart with twist-offs, put a dishtowel or even the bottom of your shirt over the top and twist. ;)

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

it doesn't matter to me.... i could never open up the twist-off ones :eek:

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's a good tip, but here's an even better one: get in touch w/ your uber-macho side and bite the top off! I swear, I saw someone do it w/ my own eyeballs. :eek:

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Even better tip for the girls - let the nearest guy (particularly if cute) prove how macho he is by opening it for you, saving your hands. Works for me... ;)

I don't like synthetic corks in wine because my favoured cork-remover doesn't work with them and I have to go hunting for the corkscrew at inopportune moments!

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Woo hoo! A kindred spirit! :D Actually, I can't find a picture online, but there is a pair of men's flip flops (some call them "thongs", others "sandals") made by Reef that have built in bottle openers on the bottom of the soles. :eek:

15. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    dang, i wish you had mentioned it sooner, it would be very useful when im camping this week. :D

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

No kidding - and the one we have that works on synthetic corks is always getting lost in the drawer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.