Bottled Water Causing Tooth Decay

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mac-er, Sep 19, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

According to this article, bottle water is suspected as a culprit of more tooth decay and cavities due to the lack of flouride.

2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

phew

im tap water all the way, always have been, and as long as the north west keeps it's act together, i always will be

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

So anything you eat or drink that doesn't contain fluoride is a cause of tooth decay... no kidding.

You may as well say aubergines contribute towards cavities.

Instead, why don't we just level our guns at the sugar industry -- surely a major contributor to tooth decay. Oh but wait, they run a massively expensive lobbying effort in Washington and elsewhere, so that's alright then.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well, look at the bright side. This was the first health-related article where the iPod wasn't a culprit (as opposed to hearing loss, mental illness, etc.).

5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Maybe someone should offer flouridated bottled water?

6. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I know folks who avoid tap water because it has flouride!
    Flouride is (I'm told) technically a poison to the body !

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The Great Lakes region of the US (where I live) has some of the highest quality tap water in the world, so why would I want to pay for bottled stuff?

I figured when I saw the title that it would have something to do with the lack of fluoride.

Just brush your teeth, you'll be fine. :D

8. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

9. mpw Guest

That does it, I'm not eating aubergines any more, luckily my local grocer told me he has an alternative to aubergines when I spoke to him about this. Eggplants. They cost about 20% more but I gotta think of my teeth, aparently they taste just the same.
    An d I'm gonna switch from bottle water to Coke too.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

My dentist has been saying this for a couple of years now with everyone getting filters on their water lines. It all reminds me of that episode of Penn Teller Bulls*** that has people tasting out different bottled waters, all being filled from a hose :)

jon

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

how strange. i've been a huge bottled water fan since 2001 (when i saw Paul Daniels at oldham Colosseum :D ), i brush my teeth just once a day and i've got no problems with my teeth.

what about tap water not containing other minerals? like calcium, magnesium, silicon? they have health benefits.

that said the water in here in Saddleworth (north west UK) is divine. they don't call it Springhead for nothing. we have our own spring in our garden but god knows where else its been on its way up

12. AppleAce macrumors regular

Yeah, doesn't everybody know that water fluoridation is the most elaborately contrived communist plot to contaminate our precious bodily fluids? :rolleyes:

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    But didn't they start adding fluoride to water... so if it didn't cause problems before they started adding it, why is it so bad now?

For those who care about their teeth, childhood fluoride treatments and regular brushing will be fine. For those who don't, it's also unlikely that they gulp down gallons of fluorinated water daily either...

And let's face it, drinking bottled water is far better for your teeth than drinking anything with sugar (natural or not) in it.

14. mpw Guest

Crap! You're saying sugar bad now too? :mad:

That's it. From now on it'll be water with my McDonalds, on health grounds.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yes, there are definitely those that avoid fluoridated water. Fluoride is technically a very, very potent neurotoxin, capable of killing in small amounts. In smaller amounts, it's good at keeping enamel strong, of course. But considering how much the rate of cancer, for instance, has risen since fluoridation's inception, you can't call fluoride-avoiders crazy... there's really no proof at all that it's not harmful over time.

personally i avoid tap mostly because it tastes bad here.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Man, if people aren't drinking fluorinated water - what will happen to Christmas. You know that fluorination is a conspiracy to drug us for buying anything. :D

17. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the article is saying that people who aren't drinking tap water, but excusively bottled water are getting more tooth decay. There is a link.

However, cavities and tooth decay are also linked to heredity.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes, but saying that it causes tooth decay is disingenuous, making it sound like drinking mineral water is like drinking soda.

Perhaps fails to prevent would be a better choice of words.

19. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I've got an idea, let's try brushing our teeth after every meal!

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Well said.

There are also fluoride rinses/ mouthwashes that you can purchase over the counter (OTC) at least here in the States. If anyone is curious, it's called ACT. Yup.

:edit: Here's a link to the ACT website. My dentist says that if you use this mouthwash you could actually halt minor cavaties and 'fix' them! :eek:

21. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I am only going to say this once, bottled water is astonishing waste of money, 10000% premium and substandard quality, when i get to work i will post an article if i can find it on bottled water, oh and i work for a water authority :D
    We add things to water to make it healthy, fluoride is one of these things, having said that if you brush your teeth with flurodated toothpaste it probably won't help to much (read: do you all buy non-flurodated toothpaste becasue it might hurt you?), bottled water company's make a fortune of sub-standard products.

22. satty macrumors 6502

Flouridation conspiracy

It just reminds me of Dr. Strangelove...

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Lord, Jack.
    General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.
    General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Maybe the water is lovely to drink where you live.

London tap water is a bit ropy and leaves an aftertaste in your mouth... I use a water filter for drinking water at home -- makes a huge difference.

24. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Thanks but no thanks. Flouridated water was put on the local agenda here and was soundly voted down. Let's save flouride for brushing our teeth in the morning, not cooking our pasta. :D

25. satty macrumors 6502

Sometimes I also have the feeling that it (London tap water) is yellow-ish. Also with that many leaks in the London grid I am not too sure about the quality.

I know in Germany the standards for tap water is higher than bottled water.