Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
one more item to your list: bigger taptic engine with System Haptics. UI elements in iOS will now also provide tactile haptic feedback when you activate them, beside home button. for example, sliding down notification feels like sliding down a door with weight. rotating time clock feels like spinning a wheel with weight.

System Haptics is not available for iphone 6s.
[doublepost=1474848897][/doublepost]if you want to upgrade for different design appearance, the 7 is same old. but if you care about what is under the hood, the 7 is a worthy upgrade.
You're right about the system haptcis. Everything on the 7 feels "alive". I love the sliding notifications analogy. It really is like opening and closing a garage door. Lol. The feel is so real. You can feel the weight of the sliding down window. Very very cool, and typically Apple, done right. What this will bring in future iOS releases is quite exciting.

Last edited:
Reactions: aohus

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
In this case one person's impatience cost them the latest iteration and no matter how much you try to justify it, its just a dumb decision buying old tech. o_O

The "latest iteration" happens to be pretty much the same damn phone for the most part and he got it with 6 times the amount of data allowance and for half the upfront cost. So he might have just outsmarted a lot of you who paid full price for a rebadged (but with a killer new color) 6s ;-)

Reactions: Mr_Killjoy

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
The "latest iteration" happens to be pretty much the same damn phone for the most part and he got it with 6 times the amount of data allowance and for half the upfront cost. So he might have just outsmarted a lot of you who paid full price for a rebadged (but with a killer new color) 6s ;-)

You must have not watched the keynote

Reactions: Ronnoco

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
OP has a point. iPhone 7 Plus at best is a minor upgrade and at worst a downgrade from iPhone 6S Plus if you value the 3.5mm audio jack, no hissing in video recordings, a non-yellow display, reliable reception, ability to go back to stable and non-laggy iOS 9.3.5, familiar home button and swipe to unlock, etc. Not much difference between A9 and A10 when they're still limited by 16nm. No difference between 2GB and 3GB DRAM in real testing might be because the additional 1GB is reserved for camera processing. Secondary camera is f/2.8 so useless for non-optimal lighting and software even disables it automatically for many situations in favor of using primary f/1.8 camera and software zoom. Fake bokeh is a novelty that's already wearing off and there's more to photography than just applying fake bokeh to everything. Stereo speaker is just reusing what was there before, the call speaker, but sound is unbalanced due to one front firing and the other side firing. Doubt anybody really cares about a vibrating home button that drains battery. Better off with the iPhone 6S Plus especially if you can find a good deal on it and wait for the overhauled iPhone 8 Plus.

This is exactly what I did. I had a 6s Plus and an SE. Bought a 7 on launch day ... didn't really feel much difference... took it back actually ran into a great deal on another 6s Plus for $200 and scooped it up... now I've saved $550 and waiting on the real upgrade next year.

Reactions: Maggiep67

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
To you, may be. A few incremental upgrades, a color change and the omission of certain features hardly qualifies for "better in every aspect" in my view.

New is relative, for sure. A better Camera, better battery, better processor, more RAM, exclusive features, refined design, better taptic engine, and front facing, louder speakers is BETTER, you can't argue that. I guess you were expecting the wheel to be reinvented.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Its literally better in almost every aspect...so no, it isn't pretty much the "same." LOL

I'm not going to argue with you that the iPhone 7 isn't better because obviously it's better otherwise it wouldn't have been released as an upgrade...

I will however say that with the deal the OP or myself got on an iPhone 6s Plus ... then I don't blame them for getting the 6s Plus instead...

I physically had an iPhone 7 and took it back to go back to my SE until I ran into a helluva deal in a 6s Plus

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
I'm not going to argue with you that the iPhone 7 isn't better because obviously it's better otherwise it wouldn't have been released as an upgrade...

I will however say that with the deal the OP or myself got on an iPhone 6s Plus ... then I don't blame them for getting the 6s Plus instead...

I physically had an iPhone 7 and took it back to go back to my SE until I ran into a helluva deal in a 6s Plus

I can agree with that. I can't agree with people saying its not an upgrade or a downgrade.....

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
New is relative, for sure. A better Camera, better battery, better processor, more RAM, exclusive features, refined design, better taptic engine, and front facing, louder speakers is BETTER, you can't argue that. I guess you were expecting the wheel to be reinvented.

All those are upgrades as long as you don't look outside of Apple. 3 years in a row with the same screen to body ratio - wow, really?

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
OP has a point. iPhone 7 Plus at best is a minor upgrade and at worst a downgrade from iPhone 6S Plus if you value the 3.5mm audio jack, no hissing in video recordings, a non-yellow display, reliable reception, ability to go back to stable and non-laggy iOS 9.3.5, familiar home button and swipe to unlock, etc. Not much difference between A9 and A10 when they're still limited by 16nm. No difference between 2GB and 3GB DRAM in real testing might be because the additional 1GB is reserved for camera processing. Secondary camera is f/2.8 so useless for non-optimal lighting and software even disables it automatically for many situations in favor of using primary f/1.8 camera and software zoom. Fake bokeh is a novelty that's already wearing off and there's more to photography than just applying fake bokeh to everything. Stereo speaker is just reusing what was there before, the call speaker, but sound is unbalanced due to one front firing and the other side firing. Doubt anybody really cares about a vibrating home button that drains battery. Better off with the iPhone 6S Plus especially if you can find a good deal on it and wait for the overhauled iPhone 8 Plus.

wow, so much misinformed comments. let's me break it down:

- 3.5 mm jack is history. you will never see it again on iphone. so you should plan to stay with iphone 6/6s for many years to come.
- reliable reception: so far there are no reception gate reported yet. Yes, there are some people reporting this issue, especially Verizon. but don't make it sound like all iphone 7 have this issue.
- non-laggy iOS 9.3.5: my iphone 6 plus on ios 9 was laggy but after upgrading it to ios 10. the performance is smooth. also ios 9 is history. if you like it, plan to stay with it forever.
- home button and swipe to unlock: again if you like to live with the past and refuse to move on. you should plan to stay with your iphone 6/6s for a long time. the home button is now history, and it won't come back.
- Not much difference between A9 and A10: seriously? 40% improvement over A9 is not much difference? 2 high performance cores for gaming and 2 high efficiency cores for long battery life.
- No difference between 2GB and 3GB DRAM: might be true now since 3GB hardware is new. give it time and app will use this resource, especially video games. when it comes to gaming, no RAM amount is enough.
- Stereo speaker and vibrating home button - guess what? next year iphone 7s/8 will have these speakers and Taptic engine that you are not so fond of.
-Fake bokeh: for those who don't like to carry DSLR with lens everywhere they go, this fake bokeh is not an alternate solution. most of the time, people leave their DSLR at home and can't capture a best moment. having a picture is better than no picture at all. you might ask why not photoshop to create this bokeh but many people don't have time for photoshop. they want pictures that are good enough out of the box.

Taptic engine is not just for home button. it is used for haptic system that is used for all UI interaction across ios 10, that is not available to iphone 6s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ds6778

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
wow, so much misinformed comments. let's me break in down:

- 3.5 mm jack is history. you will never see it again on iphone. so you should plan to stay with iphone 6/6s for many years to come.
- reliable reception: so far there are no reception gate reported yet. Yes, there are some people reporting this issue, especially Verizon. but don't make it sound like all iphone 7 have this issue.
- non-laggy iOS 9.3.5: my iphone 6 plus on ios 9 was laggy but after upgrading it to ios 10. the performance is smooth. also ios 9 is history. if you like it, plan to stay with it forever.
- home button and swipe to unlock: again if you like to live with the past and refuse to move on. you should plan to stay with your iphone 6/6s for a long time. the home button is now history, and it won't come back.
- Not much difference between A9 and A10: seriously? 40% improvement over A9 is not much difference? 2 high performance cores for gaming and 2 high efficiency cores for long battery life.
- No difference between 2GB and 3GB DRAM: might be true now since 3GB hardware is new. give it time and app will use this resource, especially video games. when it comes to gaming, no RAM amount is enough.
- Stereo speaker - guess what? next year iphone 7s/8 will have these speakers that you are not so fond of.

its called justification lol

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Who cares what the OP bought. If he chose to buy a 6s plus that's great. If he chose the 7 that's great. In the end it has no bearing on my life. There's no point in arguing. Like most things in life beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you may or may not like or believe is not way everyone else does. If the OP believes he 7 is a waste great. I don't. But I'm. It going to argue with him. That's up to him.

I think everyone needs to relax. This thread has run its course now and is pointless. There's about a dozen of these same threads on why someone kept one device over the other and it doesn't matter anymore. Let's just agree to disagree and move along. Let's all just enjoy our devices and discuss the future of things.

Reactions: blaine07

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky

rebadged my ass. this is the first time ive used a display and felt as though there is no glass between the actual display and the user. the wider color gamut is definitely noticeable and imo ive noticed more depth in the icons, the keyboard, images itself.

one improvement i haven't noticed is the battery life. i cannot tell the difference.

Mr_Killjoy

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
wow, so much misinformed comments. let's me break it down:

- Stereo speaker and vibrating home button - guess what? next year iphone 7s/8 will have these speakers and Taptic engine that you are not so fond of.
-Fake bokeh: for those who don't like to carry DSLR with lens everywhere they go, this fake bokeh is not an alternate solution. most of the time, people leave their DSLR at home and can't capture a best moment. having a picture is better than no picture at all. you might ask why not photoshop to create this bokeh but many people don't have time for photoshop. they want pictures that are good enough out of the box.

Taptic engine is not just for home button. it is used for haptic system that is used for all UI interaction across ios 10, that is not available to iphone 6s.

So was the Kool Aid fruit punch, or cherry?

You zealots are a riot. You just keep buying up whatever Daddy Tim tells you to, as long as the advertising is slick enough.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
They don't care about anything but "it looks the same". THAT is the big complaint. Just the A10 Fusion is a big enough difference for me. This is fastest mobile device I've ever experienced. We have 6S's, S7's and LG phones in the family. Everyone now wants the iPhone 7.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
They don't care about anything but "it looks the same". THAT is the big complaint. Just the A10 Fusion is a big enough difference. My 7Plus blew my daughters 6S away. She is getting the 7 now that she played around with my 7Plus. This thing is a speed demon. The geekbench scores are as good as my 2013 MBA i7. It''s like having a laptop in your pocket.

Part of me thinks people would be happier with a new design and no internal upgrades lol they hate that no one can tell they have the new one or something!

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
They don't care about anything but "it looks the same". THAT is the big complaint. Just the A10 Fusion is a big enough difference for me. This is fastest mobile device I've ever experienced. We have 6S's, S7's and LG phones in the family. Everyone now wants the iPhone 7.

Kinda feel like you are exaggerating. The speed difference is not noticeable in practice.

Reactions: jamesrick80

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
So was the Kool Aid fruit punch, or cherry?

You zealots are a riot. You just keep buying up whatever Daddy Tim tells you to, as long as the advertising is slick enough.

then what are you doing here, Samsung boy? recruiting customer for S7 Note? are there any lines waiting for Galaxy release, yet?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Part of me thinks people would be happier with a new design and no internal upgrades lol they hate that no one can tell they have the new one or something!
Sadly, many would.
[doublepost=1474861542][/doublepost]
Kinda feel like you are exaggerating. The speed difference is not noticeable in practice.
It clearly was to my daughter (she is 31 years old and works in the tech field in Silicon Valley, not a teenager). I keep hearing that it's no different than the 6S, but the 6S was a huge leap over the 6. LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.