Bought a house!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, May 26, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, my wife and I finally did it. We bought out first house. It is 2,700 square feet. 4 bedrooms, 3 baths. Has a home theatre room. Has a 20 acre private lake, and a boat launch on the river.

We are supposed to move in on Saturday, but the family that is in the house isn't out yet, and they still have not found a place to move to. So, I am very stressed.

The house is 6 months old. The people in it were renting, and we bought it. So, they better pack their **** :)

Pictures and updates will follow soon.

2. boskie macrumors regular

Congratulations!

Would love to see pics of your Home theatre and what bits of kit you have - I'm renovationg my loft at the moment, It's a Grade 2 listed buildng from the 1800's sometime so it's got some great wood features/brick and the like and it's got about a 15ft height and is about 30ft x 30ft = Home theatre area plus a pool table/Guiness Keg area (why waste space on a bar when you can drink from the source ;) )

Good luck with the moving and may it be a place that you will forever call home.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

4. iGav macrumors G3

Sweet Home Alabama... you've got your own 20 ACRE LAKE in your backgarden!!! :eek:

20 ACRE LAKE! :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you've got a lake... you've got to get a mini-sub! ;) :D

5. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

LOL! That is funny. The lake has never had a gas motor in it. Everything is electric. The river, well, that is another story. It is a wonderful subdivision. Our lot is almost an acre. It is about 40 yards to the lake, and 30 yards to the river. I am so excited about it. Ever come through Alabama, you have a place to stay.

Eye, you really need to make a trip up now!

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Congrats man! Buying a house is a big commitment but it sounds like you made a good choice in selecting the right place to buy. I just hope you like mosquitoes, because you'll be having plenty with that lake right next to your house. :eek:

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

6 months old huh? Guess that's too new to need a renovation done on it. ;) And it soulds like it's plenty big too, so no additions needed either... sigh. How about a nice workshop addition? Everyone needs a place to put their tools! :D

8. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well the home theater room is going to be my baby. I am adding stadium seating, an HDTV, I already have the audio system. The seats are going to be recliners, and we are putting in a drink fountain, and a real popcorn machine from a theater here in town.

Nice!

I am going to paint the walls and install sound panels. I am putting the strip lights on the floor. The walls will have pictures of famous movie figures like James Dean, Mrs. Monroe, Robert Michum, John Wayne, etc. It is going to be a lot of fun. I just need the people in it out!

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

this is awesome B2tm... i'm really glad to hear that you guys got all your finances straightened out! Sounds pretty sweet, I can't wait to see the pictures? What are the consequences if the family does move out, do they become your tennants with a ridicously large rent?

Any plans to start your daughter on swimming lessons? (i forget how old she is) because lviign that close to water bodies water safety is so important.

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Congrats, BTTM, sounds like an awesome place! :D

That home theater sounds amazing - a lot like my dream setup.

11. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

She is 5 and can swim like a duck.

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

thats good.

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    congrats b2tm. home ownership is wonderful and your place sounds absolutely fantastic. enjoy that badboy and post some pics when you can.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

congrats on the home! it sounds awesome man

my gf is interested in real estate and sells places for her parents, and is planning on going to appraisal school, so i get to hear about things like this all the time, and i must say it seems like you got yourself a sweet place there i hope you enjoy it and kick those people out! LoL

15. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, ours appraised for $229,000 and we only paid $179,900. How much does that rock?

16. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Congratz!

it's wierd, i just did some work around there.. not physically there... anyways, Congratz! and I hope you're not in a flood zone.

17. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

That was my first concern, but we are about 75 to 80 feet above the river on a hill overlooking the river. So, we are well out of the flood zone.

18. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

Wow! Houses in the city are expensive. I live in a house with the same amt of bed and bath rooms but no lake. :( ( Not sure about the sq ft.) And my house was apraised at about twice what you spent. :eek:

19. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

In greenwhich, ct or other surrounding towns around new york, your cardboard box could be worth 1/2 million LOL- JK

20. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

21. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Do you have wireless service there? (I see in your pofile you work for verizon).. Can you hear me now?

22. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Congratulations :)

My family and I are in our third house, but I just bought land for the fourth. This will be the first one we've had built, and the last time I intend to move...ever. ;)

It took awhile to find the right land. Now I'm interviewing builders/architects. It's so much easier to buy a completed house, but this way, with luck, we'll get exactly what we want.

[​IMG]

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Your new place sounds awesome, a great find. Now we know where you will be spending a lot of time. Your place would be a great place to have a meeting of the contributors on the forum! :D

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Uh HA. Hah hahahahahaha. No, really.... Bwahahahahahaha.... That's freakin awesome. $179K won't buy half a house here. I'm designing homes in the million dollar range that are only twice the size you've got and on 1/10th the land. And that's over in the valley, where homes go for half what they go for here. What you've got is easily worth $650K - $800K in my neighborhood.....

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

??????????

eight years ago, i bought my house in the city for about that much. can't get a house on this block for less than $600k now.

bttm - congrats on your house!