Bought a La Cie 250 GB Harddrive - Partition question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by igmolinav, Nov 20, 2006.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2005

I bought a La Cie 250 GB Hard Drive. I have formatted the Hard Drive without any partitions and the available space is 233 GB. I wonder, if I format the hard drive again and I divide the hard drive in three parts, will the sum of the three parts of the hard drive be less than 233 GB. I have heard that the more one partitions a hard drive, the less one gets of total-free-space.

Is that right, if I partition the Hard Drive will I have a total quantity of less than 233 GB ???

Thank you,

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2006
    Kirkland, WA
    I have a 250 Gb LaCie Hard Drive that is partitioned in 2. It has a total of 232.5 instead of 232.9 so I lost half a Gig, on a hard drive that size I can afford it so you would probably lose 1 Gig if you had 3 partitions, IMHO you already lost 17 Gigs on the 1000bytes = 1024 bytes marketing, whats 1 more.
  3. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2005
    Thank you very much !!!!

Thank you very much for your response !!!

I just have an additional question:

I am transferring my iTunes library to this external new hard drive. Just to make a simple "sample test", I took a few songs from the library and transferred (copied) them to the new hard drive. Now I have these few songs in the hard drive plus the same songs in the iTunes library. My question is, can I erase the files from the iTunes library, the ones that I have already copied to the external hard drive - I just don´t want to have things duplicated in both the computer and in the external hard drive ???

Thank you very much again,