BOught a new 160gb Macbook HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by farqueue, Nov 21, 2006.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

I need help transferring my entire OS X (macbook) to the new hardisk, how can i do it?

I have a 250gb with 150gb free space, and would like to know how do i do it:eek:

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Connect the macbook to a netwrok. Connect up your other machine to that network and transfer the data. Easy.

Then pop in the new drive and install macosx on it and transfer your backed up data back onto the macbook.

I'd be tempted to buy an external usb/firewire drive though as they are very cheap these days (http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...r_8/104-8283507-2434362?ie=UTF8&s=electronics). It'll make backups very easy and help you in this task.

3. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Or, alternatively (now I've woken up :) ).

Get an external case for your old drive. Put in new drive and then plug the newly recased old system drive back and transfer the data over.

You then have a bus-powered external drive too (make sure that external case is 2.5" SATA liek the macbook drive)

4. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

i dont have another machine... i want the exact same copy with all settings and apps etc :eek: so that i wont hav to redownload updates etc

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

You list two other machines in your signature.

Regardless, I think you could probably use some kind of cloning software. I do it how I list above though so I have no experience of that. Maybe someone who has will chip in now.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

You do know that you could do what I say above and retain your apps and settings (not OS updates but that's like 10 minutes of DL time) by copying back your Library (in home directory) and your Applications directory to the freash OS install?

7. Deputy-Dawg macrumors member

If you have a firewire enclosure that you can temporarily install the new drive in you could use "Carbon Copy Cloner". it works well, and is free. To get CCC simply search the web, I use Google, for "Carbon Copy Cloner".