Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
So its really my wife's new car - but I still get to drive it on the weekends :D

Nothing like a practical car, eh? Its a Saab Arc Convertible - nice 210 HP Turbo engine and decent handling. I've only taken it out once so far (we got it Tuesday) but I'll be using it a lot tomorrow. Might get a better pic, too - it was dark tonight when I got this one.

D

Attachments

• saabarc.jpg
    saabarc.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 294

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Its quite cool - and I don't think I'd have been as excited with a sedan. The convertible is really nice, even with the top up.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how well it handles on some of the country roads around here :D

D

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Very nice! It will stay nice too, if the kid doesn't continue to drive :D

(I tease 'cause I care ;))

I've always really liked those, good choice!

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
mad jew said:
Drive carefully. :p

Just out of interest, does it have a central ignition like ye olde Saabs?

I don't think they have them anymore. My mom had a SAAB 9000 Turbo in the early '90s and it didn't have it. I don't know what it is about centeral ignitions but I think they are the coolest thing. (2003+ Range Rovers have it though :))

I like Saabs, except for the 9-7x, its a trailblazer that says SAAB instead of Chevy. I know a two people that have them and they love them. One has a 9-5 Sedan and the other has the 9-3 convertable. Saab is one of the few companies that has Turbos with I absolutly love the sound of when acceleration/passing.

Good luck with it. I hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: It looks like the 9-3s and 9-5s have the central ignition

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
A very nice looking car. I like the color. You and Mrs. A will be the talk of the community. ;)

My wife has a new Volvo XC 70, Lava color. Looks to be a light brown at time and at others has a purple tint. The AWD will help her with the NE winters. The back of the station wagon has a larger area that holds of all her medical supplies and a privacy cover.

I would of like the car to had a similar color to yours. She said that it would have got on her nerves, sorry. :eek:

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
My neighbor drives a Saab 900 from the late 80's. She must have 300,000 miles on it and it sill runs. I think your Saab will last you a long time.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Platform said:
Yup........but owned by GM :mad: :mad:

Congratulations on the car........real nice :D :D

I know. Its too bad. At least a saab isn't the same thing as a chevy malibu.

Edit: I take it back. Saab 9-7x = Chevy Trailblazer = Buick Rainier = Oldsmobile Bravada = GMC Envoy
5 Cars, all of which are pretty much the same thing except rebadged.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
mad jew said:
Drive carefully. :p

Just out of interest, does it have a central ignition like ye olde Saabs?

Yep and not only that - its a electronic key, no mechanical piece of metal. I still have to go through and figure a bunch of things out about the dash/stereo and such. Its a little confusing. To get the XM Radio hooked in (they have an audio jack in the center console) I had to go into the settings for the CD player and select AUX - not exactly obvious. My Honda Element has a button to select the AUX input. I think they could work in a few things like that instead of making it so complicated.

D

jwp1964

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Enterprise, KS
Me to.....

I just purchased my first non-Toyota in years...a new 2005 Dodge Dakota...I know nota a "new car" but this seemed like an appropriate place to post.

6 spd manual transmission, 3.7L 6 cyl (210 hp), AM/FM/CD, AC, Tilt, Cruise.

Bought it during "employee discount" program...great sales gimmick for our American manufacturers. :p

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jwp1964 said:
I just purchased my first non-Toyota in years...a new 2005 Dodge Dakota...I know nota a "new car" but this seemed like an appropriate place to post.

6 spd manual transmission, 3.7L 6 cyl (210 hp), AM/FM/CD, AC, Tilt, Cruise.

Bought it during "employee discount" program...great sales gimmick for our American manufacturers. :p

Congrats to you too!

Problem is that like rebates, and interest free financing - the manufacturers have now created a class of consumer that will hold out for similar sales in the future.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
RJP31484 said:
There is just a jack there? like 1/8" "headphone" jack? that is GREAT! So you can just plug an ipod in there with a simple 1/8" jack cable?

yep - or in my case my XM Radio. We have the same thing in our Honda Element. And I know there are a few other cars out there that have the audio jack. I wouldn't be surprised if you see it more often than not in the next few years.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.