Bought a Superdrive! what kind of media?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tonywalker23, Jul 1, 2005.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

i bought a 16x superdrive off of ebay for my dual 450 g4 powermac.
    i have never burned a dvd but mess with cd's a lot,
    what are the differences in dvd r, rw + - etc . . .
    any help or website would be appreciated.
    also, the burner is dual layer which i understand makes 8 gb dvd's but thats all i know about them. do all dvd's hold 8 gb or are they special ones,

thanks
    tony walker
    www.preachertony.com

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Just get DVD-R they are write once and the best form of media to use for burning DVD's...Try and get a good brand of disc like Verbatmin or TDK dont go for the cheap brands as they will have trouble playing and are not as reliable..

SHadoW :D

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Very well put, I had some dvds go bad on me after 4-6 mths. so I learned my leason. Now I only buy Verbatim or TDK myself. If you don't mind buying from on line try www.supermediastore.com if you have problems with the discs (bad quality) they will take them back. Also if you want to get printable dvds/cds they have a good selection as do a few other vendors online.

Difference about "- or +" from what I've read and have been told -R tend to get a "deeper burn" as +R burn on the "sides of the grooves" in a dvd. So if one side fades it may not play or it could freeze. I do not know for sure if this is true since I only burned to the +R format when I got my drive to make sure that it worked. Other than that I use -R only and have only made 2-3 DL (8.5g dvds) for some home videos.
    Anywho enjoy your new burner :p

4. apple_g5 macrumors member

apple_g5

the best media you can get are TDK with a 98% reliability!