Bought an 40 gig Ipod....bad idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by blue_monkey, Jan 10, 2005.

1. blue_monkey macrumors member

Hi!

I bought an 40 gig G4 ipod 3 days ago. but now i'm asking myself if it was a bad idea to buy one right before MWSF...? i'm totally happy with it though (except for that little scratch on the screen already). So...was it a bad purchase or is it alright?

Please tell me i didn't make anything wrong with buying it.. ;)

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You didn't do anything wrong. :)

No matter what is announced - tomorrow, in six months, or next year - your 40GB 4G iPod will be an excellent companion and will make you happy.

I bought mine when they were announced. I'm still very pleased with it. Had I waited, I might have paid $100 more for the photo version, but I wouldn't have needed it. Mine has been a constant companion - I listen to audiobooks every day in the car, as well as tunes at other times - and I'll like my iPod no matter what comes out later on.

3. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

don't worry...

i felt the same way when i got my emac... i thought they were gonna release a new version right afterwards, and even thought they didnt, even if they did i'd still be happy...

and anyway, i doubt apple will release a new verision of the 20 or 40 considering its not old and tens of thousands of people just bought them over the holidays... the last thing apple wants is pissed off customers...

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

That iPod is just 6months old... iPod generations are tending to have longer lifespans so the auxiliary markets can catch up (making cases and accessories last for longer than a few months)... So don't worry about it. It will be another 6 months before your iPod becomes "old". *Especially* dont' worry about tomorrow.

Happy MWSF Day, everyone!

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    im stillpleased with my 3g 30 gb :) although i think i need to replace the battery soon

6. Benj macrumors regular

Heh heh. I wish this were true. Much bigger updates are often made very soon after an update/release. (I bought a G3 iBook just after a speed bump. This was shortly followed by the first G4 iBook. D'oh.)

7. blue_monkey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answers! I'm totally happy with my iPod, it's the coolest thing ever...i have all my music on it and can listen to them whereever I want. I feel a lot better now! :) So no worries about iPod updates! :)

thanks again!

8. blue_monkey thread starter macrumors member

oh btw. does anyone of you guys know any good stuff for eliminating (sorry for my weird english) scratches on iPod and iBook? i know it's probably off topic but i have a bad scratch on the screen of my iPod and some minor scratches on my iBook and i was just interested if there was a way to get rid of them..

thanks for input

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You should search the forums - I know this topic has come up (note that the obvious search area - the rectangle at the upper right with "Search Site" after it, is not what you want to use; instead, use the "Search v" ('v' is my attempt at a text-based "down arrow") option in the toolbar above these posts (between "New posts" and "Quick Links") and do an Advanced search.

You'll find what you want.

I try to actually answer questions instead of telling people to search, but I don't know what you should use, only that it's been posted here.

And then, if possible, get a skin/cover for your iPod and a sleeve for your iBook. :)

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

buyers remorse is common. Eveything we buy will sooner or later become obsolete. So dont worry, just enjoy the thing while you can.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Honestly, though, I love all my Apple purchases, no matter how old. I even still have a great deal of affection for my IIci (although it is rarely powered on). I like my old work PowerBook, and it's coming up on six years old. My 2.5 year old iMac works fine, my 1.5 year old G5 - what I'm using now - is fantastic. My ~0.33 year old iPod is a joy. And, yes, many of my Apple products are obsolete. But they have amazingly long useful lifetimes, and they have sentimental value. My six year old Dell has zero - zero - sentimental value, nor does my nicely-spec'd Dell work laptop.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

I just bought a 4G 40GB a week ago, and I have no worries. It does what I want and more - plenty of space, nice available options, etc. I just decided that even if they release a 60GB or 100GB or whatever one this week or next month, I probably wouldn't get it anyway.

There will always be improvements - just decide if what's out there has what you need, and if so go ahead and get it and don't worry about what comes next.

13. Skytag macrumors newbie

Why would you ask?

Honestly, I don't understand why someone would ask this. If you're happy with a purchase, why ask other people if you should continue to be happy with it? We can't tell you any more about what will be announced at MW than what's already on this site. The worst thing that would probably happen from your perspective is a price drop, and since iPod Photo came out so recently I doubt we'll see a price drop. But if we do, you already know how you'll feel. ;-)

14. blue_monkey thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your answers! :) of course i am happy with what i bought but i don't want to regret my purchase because there's an 50 bucks price drop or something...but again: i don't regret to have bought an ipod! this machine is awesome! :) thanks again for your responds!

15. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

No, you have a great mp3 player that can hold your entire music collection and then some.