Bought an eMac, but should I keep the powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by smharmon, Jun 15, 2005.

1. smharmon macrumors member

I just purchased an eMac. I know have a 1.42ghz eMac with DL DVD Superdirve. I have 1 gig ram in it, and it runs Tiger. I also have the powerbook in my signature. I have come to the realization (with the loving help of my wife) that I must sell one. I guess they would both fetch the same on ebay... which one would you guys keep? I don't care too much about the portability, I only take it to school and surf the web at college, never taking notes on it... I guess I just need some opinions thanks.

Oh, the powerbook is running Tiger and iLife 05, I have upgraded it.

2. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

I'd keep the Powerbook because it's a sexy beast and I crave portability. If I didn't want portability, I'd keep the eMac.

3. Willy S macrumors 6502

4. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I'm a big fan of the powerbook over the eMac just becuase I don't much care for the CRT monitor used in eMacs. But if you want higher performance and don't care about portability then keep the eMac. The largest crippling factor about your powerbook is the fact it uses a 4200RPM HD.

5. smharmon thread starter macrumors member

The eMac is faster, and the display is WAAAYYY nicer and easier on the eyes. I don't like the fan noise though. The powerbook is almost silent. I got the bluetooth module installed, and use the apple wireless keyboard and mouse with it. It is a really great system, and renders in iMovie, and iDvd are faster. I really don't want to give up the DL DVD drive in the eMac, but I too think the powerbook is so sexy. It is a great item to have. I "upgrade" about every year, and just didn't want to spend the extra $400 for the iMac when I doubt I would notice any difference in the eMac. From playing with the iMacs at the store, I have noticed zero difference.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm in the same boat with a new iMac and an iBook. I've ended up keeping both and they both get used quite a lot. I'm keeping them until I really need some money or one of them collapses - probably won't replace it.

It's great having a desktop and a portable. :D

7. Willy S macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I thought Apple had worked on the fan noise in the latest eMacs. :(

I like quiet computers too and that is one of the things what I like most about my iMac.

8. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I'd say definately get rid of the Powerbook and only keep the eMac. I'll send you the address to send the PowerBook... ;)

9. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Sell the wife, and keep the Macs :D .

Or just make her pick just one pair of her shoes, and ditch the rest... let's see how does she like it.

If none of the above are possible, then I'd keep the PowerBook; is practically equally powerful, but much sexier, has an LCD screen, and will have a better resale value in a couple of years.

10. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

If you can swing it, keep 'em both. It's good to have a desktop AND a laptop, I think. I plan to eventually get an older iBook or PowerBook and keep my eMac.

11. smharmon thread starter macrumors member

Well, I agree, but I also have a windows XP machine that has a fast processor, fast graphics card, and is a great gaming machine. I am choosing between the two only as my own personal machines.