Bought an eMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vladha, Jul 6, 2004.

1. vladha macrumors newbie

Originally, it was supposed to be one of the new G5's(dual 2.0), but budget constraints worked their magic... we have 3 kids in daycare, can anyone say "kaching"?

We decided to buy an iMac, but the local store only had the combo drive left and only 1ghz and no price reduction. At that point, I noticed my oldest son playing with one of the eMacs. No one had told him how to use it, and his little brother and sister(twins) were also enthralled.

So, despite the coolness factor of the iMac, we decided to go with the eMac. Got some extra software(office mac,.mac, procare and some writing software), got a faster system, and still managed to save $400 over the purchase of an iMac.

It's been over 20 years since I owned a mac(Apple IIe), so this works as a great re-entry into the mac world. Right now, everything is kind of confusing, especially having spent so long in the Windows platform arena... but we'll get there.

Just wish the brainiacs at the store were a little bit more helpful. I'll be going to see them tomorrow about a couple of "issues"... no paperwork on upgrades, no pw on what got transferred, and something that's really bugging the piss out of me... no access/links to old email accounts. This was supposed to have been taken care of.

At any rate, this is a fun little machine and should do us nicely for at least the next year. There's no way we could have spent this little on a pc and gotten this much. It's funny, a Bestbuy sales manager(we've bought plenty of other things from him) recommended either the eMac or iMac for our needs. Now that's good service. They are now an Apple supporter and he could have ordered us what we wanted, but sent us to the local Apple store instead since they have the models in stock.

We paid for what we could afford and got what we paid for.

Peace,
    Mark

2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Congratulations

Congratulations on your purchase. The portinig of emails etc is easy, just use mail, located in Applications. I use that program hourly. You will find the Mac Os very easy compared to XP or 2000(Whichever your were using), and will very quickly become cumfortable with the OS. I had the same problems, as i pnly came from OS9 9 months ago, to Panther. It was a big learning curve.

The beauty of the eMac, is that it has no ecternal parts, that little fingers could break. My iMac, which has the same form factor has had 3 replacment CD Trays, as my children have gotten in there and broken it. The iMac however had the external tray, that your cd/dvd goes, thich can be broken.

This computer will be around for many years (my LC 575 is still running, and will do the net very easily, although is VERY slow. :rolleyes: )

Enjoy the computer,
    Enjoy the Platform,
    Enjoy the Lack of crashes.

Paxton

3. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

:D Did you get the 160 GB hard disk? Can you run disk utility and tell me the model of the drive? Pleasseeeeee?

4. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

very cool story :). It's interesting to see Best Buy recommending Apple, I've always sort of avoided Apple departments at places other than the retail stores. Except for Fry's Electronics, but that place really bugs me for some reason (especially the one in Phoenix :eek: ) Anyway, enjoy your eMac :)

5. vladha thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, didn't get the larger drive... no need for it at this point.Everyone has always said to upgrade to the bigger, whether for the iMac or Powermacs. But, you have to understand... we've used a PIII PC with only a 13 gigabyte hard drive for 5 years, there are still 5.5 gigs left on the drive :p

Got everything up and running fine, don't have any problem with a learning curve other than coming from the Windows world. Still can't get the eMac to recognize our printer, driving me nuts. The brainiacs installed everything, plus our extra software, and neglected to write down what the administrator password they set up. Used the "help" button to see how to bypass or recreate the password... didn't work. Followed directions exactly, using the eMac disc 1, but when I went to "installer" to change the password, it said I wasn't authorized to change it.

I'm going to call the Apple store and read them the riot act... I need my printer to be usable. I have no problems with the eMac at all, tired of the Apple support attitude... already.

Peace,
    Mark

6. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info…

or in Terminal type

"system_profiler > profiler_output.txt"

without quotes, it'll out put to a text file in your home directory.

8. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

9. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

Congrats on the purchase!! eMacs are a great value no doubt!

About your printer, what make and model?

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this is what you're looking for , but here it is:
    model # st3160023a

When I did this for someone before they confirmed it was a Seagate w/ an 8MB Cache... Does that sound right?... Whatever that means...

11. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Yup.

Barracuda 7200.7 Plus, Model Number:ST3160023A Capacity:160 GB Speed:7200 rpm Seek time:8.5 ms avg Interface:Ultra ATA/100

12. vladha thread starter macrumors newbie

Epson Stylus PhotoRX500. Finally solved my administrator password program... on the 5th try of rebooting the eMac 1 disc. The "help" directions are slightly off... you must hold the "c" button down as soon as the eMac powers off, don't wait for the tone.

At any rate, went to reload the printer disc... the eMac still doesn't recognize the printer. Followed the directions from Epson for Mac users, still no go. Loading it on the old PC was a lot easier. I'll try again later... gotta let the frustration die down.

I am determined not to bother the genius bar at the Apple store anymore... they have been absolutely no help so far. I guess once you've paid your money... service drops off the planet. Makes me wonder why we bothered with the ProCare membership :(

Usually, after much flailing around, I end up solving problems... this one is just taking longer than usual.

I still think this has been one of the best "bang for the buck" buys out there. Plus, when/if we upgrade to a PowerMac(year or two), this will still be a great tool for the kids. Raise them the Apple Way... but interpreted through me :p.

Peace,
    Mark

13. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

your probably over thinking it. Just go to utilities->printer setup utility. Click add, and under USB select Epson Photo Stylus R500. You should be done, apple usually includes all drivers for epson, they're buddies.

14. vladha thread starter macrumors newbie

Whelp, I'd already done most of the advice given, then the ones I hadn't tried, I tried. Guess what... the eMac doesn't recognize my printer. Drivers have been loaded from day one.

Followed directions from Apple support, and from the genius bar at the Apple store.... still no go.

But guess what? As per usual, I figured it out myself, just took longer than usual. I went to Epsons support site and downloaded the drivers for the Mac... problem is, they're the previous drivers and not the new ones that come with the software, Apple doesn't recognize the new one. Updated a couple of other things while I was there. Epson didn't have much to say about why Apple doesn't recognize the newest, but at least everything is working.

So, now my eMac experience is a total one and it's all good.

I've sent an email to the genius bar just to let them know... stop with the condescending attitude, I really wasn't an idiot and must have obviously been doing "something" wrong, butt munchers. Glad to know that my purchase of the procare has "enlightened" me to its worth.

Love the machine, can't stand the support.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and help.

Peace,
    Mark

15. slowtreme macrumors 6502

For what it's worth I always felt that the second someone steps behind that counter at the genius bar, it's like a switch to turn on the attitude. Everyone is real nice and chatty on the sales floor, but behind that counter they arent trying to sell you a computer anymore and you are wasting thier time. I don't post a lot in here, but I read a lot. I haven't had a need to ask for thier help anymore. I think I'm better off :)