Bought an iBook + Tip!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SpaceMagic, Aug 22, 2005.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales

I have a tip I want to share: Always buy the best you can afford.

After two years of using my faultless PowerMac G5, I now need a laptop to take with me to University in September. Looking around, not one of Apple's laptops surpasses my 1.8 G5. So, I think I'm safe in saying, when looking for a new primary computer, go for the best you can afford at the time and don't worry about updates because your machine can still beat others two years down the line (which is decades in computer technology).

Another example: The January 2003 17" PowerBook (2.5 years old!) still beats the new 1.33Ghz iBooks.

So contrary to my advice, I bought an iBook 1.33 last night with Edu discount. Currently the cheapest Apple laptop. Why? Because even 2 year old PowerBooks on eBay go for more than £656 and are without Warranty.

For UKers: I bought it from CWOnline, the very same people I bought my first Mac from 5 years ago (the iBook 366). They phoned me 9:30am this morning (I ordered it on impulse at 1:30am), to say they're still awaiting stock - it appears everyone is out! Free delivery. I also bought an Apple wireless keyboard... odd or what?! hehe - it's for my G5.
  2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I also agree in buying the best with what you can afford, however i also believe in buying the power you need ;) IMO
  3. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree as well. I updated everything when I bought my new PB - see my signature.
  4. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo

You will be happy with your new machine....I have the same one.

I too typically max out on purchases. I felt good about going for iBook, as I'm just getting into macs, PB were not much more impressive, and I will likely get a maxed out PM in a few months (hopefully dual/dual)
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  6. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    yeah, the £3k i laid down on my 4.5 year old cube and with a couple of upgrades it trashes every mac bar the G5 that apple sells.