Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
have had an iphone since september of 07 in one of the many incarnations and switched to the s3 because i wanted a bigger screen

phone so far is great but android is very clunky and disorganized compared to ios

i can tolerate it for now but its clear android isnt on ios's level

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
have had an iphone since september of 07 in one of the many incarnations and switched to the s3 because i wanted a bigger screen

phone so far is great but android is very clunky and disorganized compared to ios

i can tolerate it for now but its clear android isnt on ios's level
It's like going from a Mac to a PC. A PC has many ways to do the same thing. Some people find this frustrating, but what it does is let you find you're own path and become happier in the end.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
It's like going from a Mac to a PC. A PC has many ways to do the same thing. Some people find this frustrating, but what it does is let you find you're own path and become happier in the end.

thats a great comparison

wish i thought of it :(

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Sedrick has it right:

iOS is a car with auto transmission, Android is a car with manual.
iOS is toy that works out of the box, Android is a Lego kit.
iOS is a coloring book, Android is a sketchpad.

You have to get your hands dirty and make the phone your own. No more hand holding from Apple.

I really hate when people say they "don't have the time to mess with Android" yet they seem to have time to post on a Mac forum nearly every day. Don't be one of those people.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
My galaxy S3 gives me great battery life out of the box, is smooth enough to not care about "lag", no app has force closed on me in the three weeks of ownership, and the UI is actually decent and refined.

I also have no plans to root and mod it because *gasp* it doesn't need a custom ROM imo. The first android phone that i have used stock for three weeks now, usually i would have a custom ROM within 2 days on any other.

I always missed my iPhone for some reason before when i had an android. Now, i am not interested in shopping for another phone anymore. The only possible replacement would be a lumia with WP8 but that depends if it really is that good.

But android has a different philosophy compared to iOS. It gives you the control. Some people like it, some people like the iOS approach. You are used to iOS, you will be fine after a few days, or will go back.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My galaxy S3 gives me great battery life out of the box, is smooth enough to not care about "lag", no app has force closed on me in the three weeks of ownership, and the UI is actually decent and refined.

I also have no plans to root and mod it because *gasp* it doesn't need a custom ROM imo. The first android phone that i have used stock for three weeks now, usually i would have a custom ROM within 2 days on any other.

I always missed my iPhone for some reason before when i had an android. Now, i am not interested in shopping for another phone anymore. The only possible replacement would be a lumia with WP8 but that depends if it really is that good.

But android has a different philosophy compared to iOS. It gives you the control. Some people like it, some people like the iOS approach. You are used to iOS, you will be fine after a few days, or will go back.

Not to mention that it was announced once again today that the GS3 is going to get Jelly Bean late 3rd quarter or very early 4th. Looks like the GS2 will get it also late in the 4th quarter.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Not to mention that it was announced once again today that the GS3 is going to get Jelly Bean late 3rd quarter or very early 4th. Looks like the GS2 will get it also late in the 4th quarter.

Everything Android is getting better and better. JB still needs a patch to fix some odd glitches with the keyboard though! :cool:

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I been looking to switch as well. I'm not sure if I should wait for the next Nexus device or just pull the trigger on the GS3. The reason I want to switch is because I'm looking for my own phone. I feel like my iPhone is like everyone else's. I'm just looking to make my phone my own.

Plus I want a bigger screen.

dialed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
Utah
I switched back to iPhone like always... Mad skills mx lags, home buttons lags - even after s voice "fix"

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
The next iphone is going to be awsome

For Some reason when I read your post, I thought of Stuart Smally. :D

stuart-smalley.jpg

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
There are so many things about the GSIII that I still didn't know about until recently, like NFC Tac-Tiles. Why aren't people talking more about this? It's brilliant and could be wildly useful. Imagine putting a Tac Tile at work to make your device switch to silent/vibrate mode, or a Tac Tile in the car to make it go into car mode or turn on the GPS. That's innovation, folks.

And things like Buddy Camera, where if you're with a friend who has a GSIII and you both turn on this feature, the photos taken from the phones will save onto both phones over WiFi. Useful for taking photos at concerts, or during an unexpected event and you want all the different takes and angles.

It just feels like there's so much to uncover about the GSIII. I'm not convinced I'm getting one, but you have to give Samsung props where it's due. Along with Smart Stay, Direct Dial via proximity sensor, Pop out play, tilt to scroll, they're really putting Apple to shame in the "innovation" department.

Kudos to them.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
There are so many things about the GSIII that I still didn't know about until recently, like NFC Tac-Tiles. Why aren't people talking more about this? It's brilliant and could be wildly useful. Imagine putting a Tac Tile at work to make your device switch to silent/vibrate mode, or a Tac Tile in the car to make it go into car mode or turn on the GPS. That's innovation, folks.

And things like Buddy Camera, where if you're with a friend who has a GSIII and you both turn on this feature, the photos taken from the phones will save onto both phones over WiFi. Useful for taking photos at concerts, or during an unexpected event and you want all the different takes and angles.

It just feels like there's so much to uncover about the GSIII. I'm not convinced I'm getting one, but you have to give Samsung props where it's due. Along with Smart Stay, Direct Dial via proximity sensor, Pop out play, tilt to scroll, they're really putting Apple to shame in the "innovation" department.

Kudos to them.

I use that. Id use Google Wallet too but it isnt supported yet for the GS3 for some reason.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
almost returned the phone last night but played around with today alot and it really is a great phone

its just the problem with android is that out of the box its crap but once you customize it and add everything u want its a great phone

the problem im finding mostly is that i have to check every app because of the prevelance of malware in the android app store which is a huge turn off from how secure i feel in the apple app store

battery is also pretty crappy but so was the 4s so im used to it, hoping that deleting the mlb at bat widget will help matters

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
almost returned the phone last night but played around with today alot and it really is a great phone

its just the problem with android is that out of the box its crap but once you customize it and add everything u want its a great phone

the problem im finding mostly is that i have to check every app because of the prevelance of malware in the android app store which is a huge turn off from how secure i feel in the apple app store

There's really not that much malware for android. The only apps that have it are mostly apps only used in china and are in Chinese. I have downloaded hundreds of apps and have never gotten malware. Apple has had malware make into the app store as well.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
There's really not that much malware for android. The only apps that have it are mostly apps only used in china and are in Chinese. I have downloaded hundreds of apps and have never gotten malware. Apple has had malware make into the app store as well.

im naturally paranoid

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

battery is also pretty crappy but so was the 4s so im used to it, hoping that deleting the mlb at bat widget will help matters

Ive never had a malware problem in over two years using Android. But there is a free anti virus/security app called Lookout you can try. I dont use it. Dont feel i need to.

As for Battery, go in your settings and app management and disable some apps you wont use....like some of the bloatware like ChatOn, S Suggest, carrier BS, etc. That will help.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Kudos to them.

I've already got some of these, but not tectiles as they're just expensive Samsung branded NFC tags. I bought some unbranded ones for a much cheaper price.

They're very useful but I've kinda stopped using them since I got Tasker. I've now changed my car tasks so that they run when I connect to the Bluetooth in my car rather than my tapping an NFC tag.

The only one I really use is near the door of my house to toggle wifi when I'm coming in/going out.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Ive never had a malware problem in over two years using Android. But there is a free anti virus/security app called Lookout you can try. I dont use it. Dont feel i need to.

As for Battery, go in your settings and app management and disable some apps you wont use....like some of the bloatware like ChatOn, S Suggest, carrier BS, etc. That will help.

Lookout also enables you to locate your phone on a map, play a sound, remote lock/unlock etc...although I prefer Samsung Dive for that, and it's free! :D

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Can someone explain NFC ?

NFC is a Near Field Communication. A very low power radio that will interrogate nearby (within touching distance) devices.

There are number of uses. You can beam whatever to another phone. For example, if you have YouTube video playing, put another NFC equipped phone right next to yours and tap your screen. Same video will start playing on another phone. You can do it with web pages, contacts, etc.

You can also buy NFC tags and encode them with instructions. For example, glue one to your car dock. It will enable bluetooth, disable ringtone, wifi, run an app of your choice (or activity, which is essentially a function in an app. Think "Run Pandora, and tune to my favorite mix right away" kind of thing).

Possibilities are limitless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.