Bought at worst time possible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by josepho, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. josepho macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #1
    Hi guys,

    I'm despairing. I received my 800Mhz iBook on Thursday there, and was really happy with it. Now like 4 days later they update the whole line... I'd've got a better computer, and for less.

    I don't know if it's a good idea, but I'm thinking of taking advantage of the 10-day return policy. I could return this one and order a new one...

    What if I called up Apple? Would they try and discourage me from doing this? Is it even a good idea?

    Thanks, I'm just pretty mixed up right about now.
     
  2. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2004
    #2
    YES

    if you can take advantage of the 10 day policy then YES do it
     
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #3
    I'd return it if you can - its a no brainer. THe faster machine will have greater longevity.

    Good luck :D

    D
     
  4. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

    0s and 1s

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2004
    Location:
    OK, USA
    #5
    Hmm....you purchase an outdated laptop days before an updated model is released at a LOWER price, and you're asking yourself if you should return it????

    Um...are you mental?
    - Wayne Campbell
     
  5. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #6
    I guess it's just the thought of having to go through all the hassle, and then being without it for ages... waiting for the new one.

    Do you think there'll be a long delay waiting for them?

    Thanks
     
  6. mcrain macrumors 68000

    mcrain

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2002
    Location:
    Illinois
    #7
    It doesn't matter. You'll thank yourself later for putting up with no computer for a short period of time now.
     
  7. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #8
    I'll have to phone Apple tomorrow (the UK dept. is closed already), because on the US site it says that you can't return custom-built goods, but it doesn't say anything about that on the UK site...

    I guess it'll be worth the hassle in the long run. Means I'll be able to ADD the 512MB RAM I've got, rather than just adding 384MB. In a way it's a good thing I haven't got round to installing it.

    Cheers!
     
  8. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2004
    #9
    Josepho

    I know how you feel. I got my Powerbook last Tuesday. And now... now I feel like crying!

    I knew it would be soon after I bought, but 6 days... man.

    andy
     
  9. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #10
    Well, if I'm gonna do the returns thingy then I'm sure you could to. The site says within 10 working days of receiving the goods you can return them. There is a £40 for returning but it'll be worth it, especially considering the prices have dropped by more than that anyway.

    I'll let you know what they say tomorrow.

    Cheers!
     
  10. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2004
    #11
    Josepho,

    On the back of my receipt, it says that I can get the difference in cash or credit if they drop the price within 10 days of any apple branded item i've bought - I at first thought it said I could upgrade the machine, but I realised it doesn't.

    What does yours say, specifically?

    I realised, though, that to be honest, this thing suits me absolutely perfectly, and the upgrade might well cost be more than its value - since I bought in America.

    andy
     
  11. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #12
    Hmmm... the only problem with that being that they haven't changed the price on the item you bought... they've changed the product all together. Mine got delivered, so I don't have a receipt like I mighta done if I'd bought it in a shop. Anyway, it seems the US and UK policies are different. I'll phone them tomorrow and see what they say... :(
     
  12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

    johnnyjibbs

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #13
    Don't just talk about it, give it a try - there is nothing to lose. If you bought within 10 days, you're entitled to the upgraded version. Even if you don't think you can get away with it, call them anyway - you have a better chance than not, and they can only say no.

    Good luck.
     
  13. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2004
    #14
    Johnnyjibbs,

    Not sure if that was also directed to me - but I'll take your advice. I may as well at least TRY I guess; though I think buying in America might shaft my chances. That said, the products are of the same value, so that might help.

    andy
     
  14. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #15
    Dammit johnnyjibbs you're right.

    I've nothing to lose, so I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow, and see where I should get. Now, what approach should I take? The "can you please tell me how I'd return this iBook I just bought?" which would no doubt solicit some sort of questioning as to my reasons, and would show that I was serious. Or should I say "I bought this iBook recently, received it just 5 days ago (3 working days) and you've updated - how will you go about giving me the updated version?". Perhaps you have some better ideas?

    Cheers!
     
  15. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

    0s and 1s

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2004
    Location:
    OK, USA
    #16
    You should be firm. In essence, you're getting screwed out of a deal. I read in another forum that someone purchased a 12" PB last night before the store closed, and now he has to pay the 10% restocking fee because the Apple genius installed an AE card for him!!! Granted, your situation is not as bad, but it's still unfair. Give 'em hell.
     
  16. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #17
    Does anyone have any experience of anything like this with Apple? I mean, should I be asking them to swap it for the new one AND give me the difference? Or would that be asking too much? The UK doesn't appear to have a restocking percentage exactly, but a £20 return fee for products up to £200 and £40 for products above that. The difference between models is about £50 so if they'd just give me the newer model then I guess that would work out. Or should I just go all out??
     
  17. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

    Hls811

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #18
    I am (was) in a similar situation - last Tuesday (4/13) I received my refurbished 12" PowerBook (Rev A - 867Mhz) & AirPort Extremem Card.

    I was a bit dissapointed today when I saw the upgrades simply because I figured I could get a refurbished 1Ghtz for probably the same price in a few days.

    Well - it occurred to me that my wife is an elementary school teacher! Doh! I logged into the Education Section and saw the price on the new 12" PB (1.33)!!! Aside from the $200 price break the AirPort Extreme Card is now included in the price - so thats a $300 savings - and 2 generations newer than what I just got..

    I will get stuck paying the 10% restocking fee - they already told me that (~$120) - so thats just about a wash on the cost of the AirPort Card - but I'm getting a processor thats 65% faster..? an extra 30GB of HD Space, double the video memory and double the onboard memory - and it'll cost me about $200 out of pocket.

    When I called for the RMA on the Refurb the gentleman on the phone did offer me a $50 discount to use at the Apple Store if I decided not to return the powerbook but that was the best he could do... He couldnt adjust the price.
     
  18. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

    markjones05

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
  19. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #20
    On the phone to them now... She's setting up the refund. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

    Damn, I'm gonna miss this little fella, but it'll be worth it in the end, right?
     
  20. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #21
    Well, that's it set up. Now, here's the kicker: the price of the PB has dropped considerably, and with AE built-in now it's a really really good buy. I spent £900 on this one, having 60GB HD, BT and AE added. However, I could get the stock PB for £988 with the same things as standard. Plus a 1.33GHz processor...

    Now, what're the wait times gonna be, 'cause surely there'll be a lot of people ordering now? Ah.

    I feel much better now that it's set up... Now for the replacement decision.

    Cheers guys!
     
  21. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #22
    Nah, think I'll just get the BTO iBook. Even with the £40 return fee I'll end up better off.
     
  22. imac_japan macrumors member

    imac_japan

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2004
    Location:
    Japan
    #23
    Man, just get the new update ! there should be no debate...no should I or shouldn't I...

    If it were me, I would be running to the store
     
  23. Ozi macrumors regular

    Ozi

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia.
    #24
    GET THE NEW ONE!!! THE NEEEEEEEWWW ONE! :D

    [​IMG]
    OBEY MY DOG!

    lmao i love zoolander... :)
     
  24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #25
    GET ON THE PHONE NOW! There is no other answer to this question!
     

Share This Page