Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
If you call Apple and are still buying within a few days of the upgrade, in the US at least, sometimes they will take back the old machine with no fee. So to the gentleman that bought that Powerbook call them up and ask, I would. The extra Video RAM alone should make it worth it as all the new software seems to be video memory hungry.

Mike

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
you guys are making me think. Today is the tenth day I have had my powerbook, should I return it? I got a refurbed for an excellent price, and it is working great for me. Then I see the new model 1.5 Ghz, hmmm but that will cost about 500 more than what I paid. Nope, I'm not. sorry for the rant.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I say, if you have the opportunity to send your laptop back and get the new one, you might as well. What is there to loose, other than a few days without it?

I bought myself a Powerbook G4 12'' about 3 weeks ago, so there's no returning it for me. While the update is nice, it doesn't do anything that is really groundbreaking. The speed is ok, but for what I'm using my PB for (notetaking, paper writing, web surfing), it would be barely noticable. I don't play games on it (I have a killer PC for that purpose), so the extra video RAM is of little importance. The only thing I'm a bit miffed about is the built in Airport Extreme which I had to pay $89+tax to get. That's life I suppose, there's always something new.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Be firm on the phone but never rude or sarcastic. Remember, they will be doing you a favour, not the other way round. If they say you can't, then you can get a little firmer, mentioning the 10 day thing, etc.

In future, as a general rule, Apple updates each product line around every 6 months or so. There are no interim small updates, apart from the odd price drop mid-term. So the general rule of thumb is to look at a site such as this one to find out when they were last updated (Buyers' guide) and check for any rumours. The last update was September (PowerBooks) and October (iBooks), some 7 and 6 months ago. Therefore, it was a given that updates would occur around this sort of time frame. Obvioulsy, I understand that many people have to buy their computer at or by a specific time but that's just the way it is.

Good luck to everyone who ordered an old one in the past couple of weeks.

josepho

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
johnnyjibbs said:
Be firm on the phone but never rude or sarcastic. Remember, they will be doing you a favour, not the other way round. If they say you can't, then you can get a little firmer, mentioning the 10 day thing, etc.

In future, as a general rule, Apple updates each product line around every 6 months or so. There are no interim small updates, apart from the odd price drop mid-term. So the general rule of thumb is to look at a site such as this one to find out when they were last updated (Buyers' guide) and check for any rumours. The last update was September (PowerBooks) and October (iBooks), some 7 and 6 months ago. Therefore, it was a given that updates would occur around this sort of time frame. Obvioulsy, I understand that many people have to buy their computer at or by a specific time but that's just the way it is.

Good luck to everyone who ordered an old one in the past couple of weeks.

I phoned Apple this morning, and the woman I spoke to had absolutely no problem with setting up the return for me, she didn't even try and convince me otherwise. I have my return number, now I've just got to wait for TNT to call me to arrange pickup. Once that's arranged I'll get back on the site and order the new iBook, hopefully I won't be without one for more than 2 weeks.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Cheers!

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Guys,

I bought in America, though I'm now back in the UK. What do you reckon I'd do? I mean - there's no chance they're just gonna say 'ok, no problem, we'll send you a new one!" That said, I'm happy with this machine, very very happy! But if there was a cheap or free option, I'd take it.

Incidentally, edesignuk - I opened up my mac in front of my cousin the other day. She recognised my background (your avatar). Turns out a guy she knew from her old school, and my current school, is going out with her. Weird coincidence :)

Edit: Phoned Apple, just to see. As I should have realised, it's not Apple per se that handles the situation, it's the retail store I bought off. In America. 5000 miles away. So no dice - but hey! As I've mentioned, I saved 450 UK pounds, so I'm not complaining I guess. If I paid full price - THEN I would have been really annoyed.

andy

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
I've felt the pain....

josepho said:
Hi guys,

I'm despairing. I received my 800Mhz iBook on Thursday there, and was really happy with it. Now like 4 days later they update the whole line... I'd've got a better computer, and for less.

I don't know if it's a good idea, but I'm thinking of taking advantage of the 10-day return policy. I could return this one and order a new one...

What if I called up Apple? Would they try and discourage me from doing this? Is it even a good idea?

Thanks, I'm just pretty mixed up right about now.

Hey, I bought a CRT iMac 11 days before the LCD iMacs came out... I wasn't too happy.

But I've learned from my mistake. This morning I ordered my new 17 inch powerbook!
:D

josepho

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
Well, TNT just called. Someone'll be within 2-3 hours to collect the iBook. I must say I'm pretty sad to see this little baby go, but it'll be worth it when I get it's more powerful successor, eh?

Now, better transfer all my stuff off this. Thank god for networking.

cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.