Bought iBook from Techrestore, B Careful!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by smharmon, Jan 27, 2005.

1. smharmon macrumors member

Yeah, I ordered the 800mhz ibook g3 cdrom for my wife from Techrestore.com for $499.99. I thought that was a pretty good deal, until I got the ibook. They said it would have "light scuffing," but was badly scratched, and a corner of the ibook was actually cracked. The powerbutton also acted funny, and wouldn't turn on everytime. Then the software just doesn't work right... you click on iPhoto, the icon bounces, but nothing ever happens, you just get the bar at the top of the screen that says iPhoto, and you can't do anything with it. They don't include the software, so you can't restore it, and you get a third part power adapter (that kind of scares me). The unit was badly scratched, and when my friend saw it, his exact comment was "what did they do, drag it behind a car?"
    They have been very nice about it, and offered to "fix it" but I told them to give me a refund instead. now I have to ship it back and will be out $30 for shipping it both ways. They said it shouldn't have gotten through their "quality control standsards" like that.
    The real touch of class was that they guard between the screen and they keyboard (I don't know why it was there) was a kitchen paper towel. Anyway, not the best experience. Please post if yours was different, as I don't want to give them a bad wrap, as they seem like a really good company!

2. cubist macrumors 68020

A paper towel is not a bad idea, I use a piece of plain paper. That's probably only important during shipping.

iPhoto, maybe you needed to click a menu option to open a window... Mac programs can be running without a window open. At any rate, when you connect to the Internet you can use Software Update to get the latest versions. (iPhoto is a special case, I know.)

iBooks are pretty rugged, and they do sometimes get scratched. For an 800MHz model, $499 is an OK price. (Isn't that the Sahara CPU? You can software-upclock it to 900MHz.) Maybe ask them if they've got one with less scratching.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

iPhoto is an exception to this rule. It will close because it is a "self contained" application-- all in one window. No point in staying around if it is all closed.

Sorry... that sucks big-time. But a paper tower actually sounds like a good idea-- just not for a big company to be sending out. Doesn't look professional.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Since they admit blame, I would see if you could get them to issue a call tag for free pick-up and shipping back.

5. smharmon thread starter macrumors member

i am pretty well versed with OSX apps, and iPhoto just wouldn't work, it was weird. I didn't try many others. I know the paper towel was also a good idea, but like the other member said, it just isn't professional. You are right about getting it shipped back, I will contact them about it, and ask them to handle it.
    Oh, they also wouldn't say they could send a better one, and currently their web site says they are "sold out" of that model...

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

isn't that a little high given that you get a brand new ibook G4 for $999?

7. davidwes macrumors regular

used mac prices

all used mac prices are out of control. I've seen some used powermac G4's going for the same price as a brand new g5!

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Macs hold their value amazingly well. Eat that, PeeeCeees! :)

Good luck with that!

9. sigamy macrumors 65816

Anyone else have any experience with TechRestore.com? They are listed on dealmac.com and they have good prices on iBooks.

Are these guys legit?

10. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I do not have any direct experience with them, except for them answering questions through email. customer service is top-notch. I was going to order a 700 mhz g3 combo drive iBook through them, but they sold out the night before I ordered. So, i took my business to expercom.com and ordered through them. iBook got here super fast, and in about 97% condition. My girlfriend thought it was new. Still smells new and fresh, nothing on the inside looks remotely used, and the white polycarbonate casing on the outside is pretty good looking. How well does your battery hold its charge? expercom said it would at least hold and hour, but i must've lucked out, because mine holds 3 hours, 2o minutes. Also, I DID get backup CD's of the OS. It came with OS 10.2.2 ...I had to update to 10.2.8 (no way im paying for 10.3 or 10.4) but thats about it.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Next time try expercom.com ...flawless all the way 'round. If my iBook dies of a logic board failure, im ordering a PB from them.

Good luck!

11. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I tossed this idea around too. I can use my education discount to get the 1.2 G4 iBook 12" for $899. add tax, and that's $967 out the door. I paid $549 for mine, plus $10 shipping. So $559 vs. $967, a difference of $408 ...which I could not warrant for me just using iTunes, Safari and Office X.

And an 800 mhz ibook for $499....I would have been leary from the get-go...that's how much the 500-600 mhz models ususally go for, basemodel, no combo drive. 800 mhz combo drive iBooks still sell for $750-800..no idea, really.

12. smharmon thread starter macrumors member

There site is legit, I just should have read more on the web site. I was basically expecting a "refurbished" unit. If you look deep into their policies they tell you not to order from them in you are expecting such. They sell used products that they have restored the software on. The ibook I got shouldn't have been cracked, but they have good prices. And on something like an eMac or Cube (they sell both) I doubt you would find the same issues.