Bought iMac need advice (memory?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bellis1, Oct 24, 2004.

1. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Just bought an iMac G5 and need advice on some memory and accesories. I would like to put in 1gb of memory but would like to leave one slot open instead of using two 512. On apple's site it cost $600. I've found memory somewhere else:

http://www.hardcorecooling.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=784

It is only $194.00, is pre-tested, and lifetime warranty. Does anyone know anything about this memory and if it should work? Additionally, what is a heat spreader for the memory?

Lastly, I did not buy a specific wireless iMac so I assume I would need to buy a wirless keyboard and mouse. Is there anyway to return the other keyboard? I couldn't wait for the shipping from the apple store for a custom configuration.

Thanks.

2. bellis1 thread starter macrumors 6502

follow-up

The iMac I ordered does not include bluetooth. It states bluetooth ready, module not included. I'd rather not have a usb bluetooth module and would like it built in. Do you think that Apple can add th bluetooth in at a later date? Or do you have to have it put in when you ordered it?

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

it runs faster if you use 2 512 chips in dual channel (of sorts) than it does with 1gb chip/

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Re: RAM. Pretty sure this must go in as matched pairs...

Double-check in your manual and here.
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_shipping/index.html

Also, I think the Bluetooth must go in when ordered, like a BTO option.

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It doesn't have to be installed in pairs (it only ships with one DIMM), but you'll get a slight performance benefit if it is. To be honest, I doubt it would make enough difference in an iMac to worry about it (I'm guessing a lot less than 5% overall performance gain, prolly <2%), though I haven't seen any actual benchmarks on it yet.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you're not gonna want to expand beyond 1GB RAM (which unless you're doing some really heavy stuff you won't), then you are far better getting 2x512MB, there are two advantages to this - It's cheaper, and when you have two identical DIMMS you get the memory BUS boosted to 128Bit (it's 64Bit otherwise), benchmarks on systems with the same amount of memory, but on different memory BUS (64 vs 128) show that the 128Bit BUS makes a big difference.

DON'T get memory with heat spreaders, it won't fit in the confines of the iMac chassis from what I have read.
    Internal BT has to be installed when you buy the imac, the only way to use it afterwards is to get an external USB BT dongle.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Whoops... my screw-up.
    Thinking of the powermacs -- haven't had my first coffee of the day.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There is a Starbucks 20 feet to your left, and another one 35 feet on your right.
    :eek:

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You're right. I was a bit sceptical to what you're saying, but I found the tech note from Apple that confirms it. Strange, but also good, and very important for people who need the best performance they can get. link to tech note

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Newegg had a great deal on 1 GB chips, but it looks like they're out right now. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-030&depa=0 According to the reviews, it worked fine in the G5 iMacs. You can e-mail them, see if they are getting any more in stock. Buy one now, then when you can afford it, buy another one and sell the stick that came with it on eBay. You could also buy a couple of 512 sticks for about the same price as one 1 GB stick. Oupost.com had some too. You don't need to run it in dual channel, but it makes it faster.

The BT module has to be installed when you buy it. The only thing you can do aftermarket is add a USB dongle. Sorry. I'd keep the keyboard, just in case. Buy yourself a nice BT kb and dongle, but I'd get a third party mouse. I don't know about you, but I have a heck of a time if I can't scroll. Logitech has some good ones, as does Kensington. Even :shudder: Microsoft. Buy it cheap from Newegg, or CompUSA or Best Buy if they have a sale.

11. bellis1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Follow-up

Alright, that has helped to clear up somethings. I'll skip the 1x1gb memory since for my uses I probably wouldn't need more in the future and will save some money and improve performance with 2x512. I guess I'll have to deal with the bluetooth toggle unless Apple might be able to install it after purchase. It is not a big deal, I'm waiting on someone to make a better bluetooth mouse and keyboard anyways. I wish or hope MacAlly will make the icekey keyboard wireless at somepoint. Thanks for the advice, spot on like usual.

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

FYI: from barefeats.com Quick Takes:

So hopefully he'll do the benchmarks soon, but his early conclusion supports what I've seen previously about matching RAM in pairs: significant increase in memory bandwidth in certain specialized test, but very little gain in real-world performance. Maybe if you had your computer cranking out 3D animation 24 hours a day, it'd be worth it, but if you were doing that, you'd be buying a PowerMac anyway, not an iMac.

13. ScottN macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy an iMac in the next couple of weeks and was intending on replacing the 256MB chip with 2 x 1GB off of Crucial in the UK (about £170 per stick).

Is this really going to benefit me a great deal?

I intend on using Photoshop and Final Cut Express mainly.

Would I be better off buying just one 1GB stick (and having 1.25GB RAM) or will the extra 768MB really be noticeable?

14. ScottN macrumors newbie

Any advice? Anyone...? :confused:

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, for doing a lot of PS & FCE I'd say you can never have too much memory, 1GB would probably be enough, but if you can stretch to 2GB then all the better.

16. Benj macrumors regular

"matching" pairs

Can someone clarify for me:

Does matching pairs mean two sticks that are the same size (e.g. both 1GB)

OR

Does it mean that you need two identical sticks - same manufacturer, same batch etc.?

Obviously the reason I want to know is; could I stick a 1GB stick in with a 256 MB (in an iMac) and then swap out the 256 MB out for a random 1 GB down the road and have a "matched" pair?

17. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Put your keyboard and mouse on ebay, they seem to be going really well at the moment.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, has to be the same. I guess 2 similar sticks could work, but someone here tried it, and it didn't work. Has to be exactly the same specs.

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'd like to say that from the barefeat benchmarks linked above, the matched pair theory appears to be pretty weak... If it were me, and I was interested in saving money and also in having a gig of ram (about as much as a 'prosumer' type is likely to need) I would get a 512mb DIMM now, for a total of 768mb, which is under $80, and then if I decided later I need more speed I could get a matching 512mb stick to replace the 256mb of standard ram and have a full gig, in matched pairs.

Seems like the most ecomonical way to go, and still leaves you with some room to grow in both total memory and in memory speed.

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

>2 x 1GB off of Crucial in the UK (about £170 per stick).

There are reputable, Mac-friendly sellers with lower prices than Crucial.
    If you are doing digital audio, video or professional graphics go for the 2 Gb.

>Obviously the reason I want to know is; could I stick a 1GB stick in with a 256 MB (in an iMac) and then swap out the 256 MB out for a random 1 GB down the road and have a "matched" pair?

In theory, except you have to match the chip configuration on the module exactly, not just the PC3200 1 Gb spec. So "random" is probably out. Another one from the same supplier may work. However, Crucial and all other manufacturers change their builds over time and there is no guarantee that a module with the same model number will actually be the same design in six months. Discount sellers like NewEgg and Frys buy their RAM on the spot market and it could be a completely different make and design from one week to the next.

If a DIMM works in a PowerMAc G5 it isn't a guarantee of compatibility with an iMac G5. It seems like the iMac is much more finicky. Buy from someone who guarantees iMac compatibility.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

21. Benj macrumors regular

Thanks CanadaRAM

All very helpful.

I am by no means a power user but will want the iMac to be bought immediately after MWSF to last a while. The easiest route is to buy as much RAM as I think I need now and then forget about it.

So..... I do no video work or audio work. I do quite a lot of photo stuff (RAW conversions etc). Am I wasting money if I just load up with 2GB? (Part of me just thinks - just do it and don't worry too much.)

Finally, any ideas on who is cheaper than Crucial in the UK yet reliable (or anyone who ships....)

Thanks

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

For just photo and desktop work I would be willing to say that a gig would be enough for you. If youoften have lots and lots of programs open, like 2 or more instances of PS w/ large photos opened, iTunes, and iMovie working in the background, you'd need more, but you'd also need a faster computer, so I would stick with a gig.

Check www.newegg.com for cheap memory prices. You can get cheap PC3200 ram there for under $70 shippid, not to sure if your iMac will like it tho. You can get Crucual brand from them for $79 shipped, and you can get get 2x512mb Mushkin package (good brand in the PC world, don't know about Mac usabilty - would assume it works) for $140 shipped.

23. Benj macrumors regular

Thanks Mr Green - missed your response in the Christmas rush.

Now have the iMac (bought from Apple Store with BT etc so came with a 512 stick) and am assessing options....

24. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I bought my iMac G5 with a stock 512 stick of RAM in it. I put a 256MB stick in to (at first) but 768MB was not enough. So recently I pulled the 256MB stick and put in a 1GB stick from this website:

http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=9&subcatid=

I have bought RAM from them for 2 iMac G4's, an iMac G5, and an iBook G4 and have had ZERO problems in the 2 1/2 yrs I've been using their RAM. Plus the 1GB stick for the iMac G5 was/is $165.00.

1.5GB is great in the iMac G5.......seems a lot faster than before.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Feel sorry for both you of with Starbucks being that far apart. :D

I agree with the idea of doing two 512 sticks instead of a single 1gb. If you are in the states, OWC has great service and decent prices.