iPad Bought iPad in USA, returning to Uk store due to yellow tint

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gusping, Jan 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi,
    i bought an iPad in America a couple of days ago. I live in the Uk and am back home now but have noticed my iPad 4th gen has a yellow tint. Am i able to swap it out for another in a Uk store despite it having the American charger?

Thanks

2. macrumors 68040

You could try but surely they'll ask for a receipt and it'll show it was purchased in the US so UK support might be declined.

3. macrumors 68000

w00t951

As long as you purchased from Apple directly and have proof of purchase, I don't see why not.

4. macrumors 68040

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

my sister bought a macbook pro from america and swapped it for a uk one so if that works, surely an iPad would. I bought it directly from apple and have proof of purchase. I am also within the 14days return and the warranty is global so..... should work

6. macrumors 6502a

The warranty is international and 14 day policy only states it needs to be from an apple store. Should be fine

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you ever so much. Clear and simple answer!:D

8. macrumors 68030

You will only be able to get a service part (i.e. refurbished one). The american iPad will not physically go through the till in the UK since it's a different part (the last part of the US model is LL/A, the UK ones are B/A), with or without a receipt.

The returns policy states http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

Returned and swapped out for another is different

10. macrumors 68030

Nope - they can do a repair, so you can get a brown box version, but the till won't physically let them refund/replace them (they can't do straight swaps on iPads anyway, they have to refund them to gift card then re-buy).

The UK till system isn't even aware of the US parts - thus they can't be returned or replaced, other than through a genius bar swap.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

My sister got her whole laptop swapped from a US one to a UK one though....

12. macrumors 68030

That wouldn't have been done on the spot in store - and they'd usually only do that if she'd had multiple problems. They may have ordered one in, but they wont do that for an iPad - and it'd take about 2-3 weeks for a Mac since they'd have to bring it over from China.

If you don't believe me that's fine - I'm just saying what their systems do/don't allow in-store - just don't get your hopes up that you'll walk out with a new sealed UK one - it's physically impossible. You will however, get a refurb which works perfectly :)

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

i think i'd rather have a yellow tint iPad than a refurbed one as thats 2nd hand...

14. macrumors 68030

I wouldn't worry about it - all Apple replacements are refurbs, but they'll have a new outer casing, new outer glass and a new battery. You wont be able to tell the difference and it will have gone through better QC than a new one :)

15. thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point.... How do you know so much about all this then? :)

16. macrumors 68030

Lots of experience :D Good luck though and enjoy your iPad! :)

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

I will, i've owned every single iPad ;) and do you reckon i could change the colour from white to black... or is that asking too much?

18. macrumors 6502a

They will only swap like for like, they are usually quite set on that.

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, thanks

20. macrumors 603

cambookpro

Just my input, my friend had a USA MacBook
    Pro with a graphics card issue, they said they'd replace it but had to order one from the States. Came in a few days and they swapped it no problem.

21. macrumors member

My ipad bought in US developed a backlight problem, took it straight to apple and they swapped it o questions asked.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you tell them it was from the US? did they swap the whole box or just the iPad?