bought iPod now want to switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by utah_boy2, Mar 25, 2004.

1. utah_boy2 macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2003
    Middle of Utah
    Ok I bought a new XP machine last year, 13 months ago. And now I realize I want an iBook.

I would suggest that apple offer a discount to anyone who bought an iPod and wants to switch, I mean isnt that the point, to get people to enjoy apple products again?

If they had a $50-$100 off coupon (depending on model of mac) I would think more people would switch. I would be much more keen to switch.

Kinda a customer appreciation deal. Like the burrito place by me, buy five next time get one for free. Buy an iPod get a Mac for a better deal.

This makes sense right? Or am I just being my usually cheap person again?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    It makes a lot of sense. And they could afford the discount. So what if people who were going to buy a Mac anyway buy an iPod first for the deal? It won't hurt Apple.
  3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
  4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    $50 is $50. If they're going to buy a mac anyway, why provide a special discount? Apple's competing on style/substance, not price.
  5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    No, the point is if people are willing to buy your product for $100, those same people will buy it for $150, so why give them a discount when you know you can make a bigger profit instead? Apple's trying to make a profit here, not give you a discount. If they price their products any cheaper, Mac fanatics will feel they're buying an inferior product.
  6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Yep, I'd say it's the cheap thing. Otherwise, why not simply offer everyone who buys an iPod $50 off their next Mac purchase? Your scenario doesn't much help anyone who's not switching, and as a cheap person myself, I can't help but think that's a tad unfair to loyal Mac users.

On the other hand, I'd be much more likely to drop $250 on a miniPod if I could get money off the PowerBook I'm planning to buy when they go G5. Apple....? :p
  7. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2003
    Middle of Utah
    So are mac fans buying them knowing they are, as some would say, overprices. Becuase they are BUYING a great product?

I'm the person who'd buy poweraid, not gatoraid. I bagged ceral, not Capt'n crunch. I buy my BigMac' on mondays only, when they're $.99. ;)

But I paid for a 10GB 2nd Gen iPod, $399. That was alot to me. Now I want an iBook. For $999, Little more then twice what I paid for an iPod. That is, lets face it, really just a hard drive. :(

I paid too much for an iPod or am paying too little for a iBook.

I know technology changes and a 10Gb was only 299, untill the mini arrived.
  8. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    I bought my wife her first iPod in December. A week later I bought another one (for myself). A month later I bought a G5. Then I bought two iBooks off of ebay, sold them again and just received my G4 iBook.

It's crazy. I love Apple.
  9. Xacttech macrumors member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm also in Utah... Anyway...

I'd recommend buying a Refurbished ibook... Most of them are new anyway (Outdated revision) If you check out the special deals and refurbished ibooks, you'll be able to get one for your $999 price no problem...

Just a thought.

BTW I think your philosophy is fine, a $50 discount would not break the bank on apple's part, afterall a Student can get $100 off.
  10. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    it would make sense the other way.

buy an iBook and get a discount on iPod.

it would be far, far easier to try to sell a $300 device to someone who's already spending $1000.

it will take a lot more than just a little discount to try to convince an iPod buyer to spend $1000 on a laptop and switch OS.
  11. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    more expensive does not mean overpriced.

if you see the value in it, then it's not overpriced.

i see the value of owning a Mac and i do not think i overpaid.

in fact, after switching, i'd consider most PC laptops running windows overpriced. i don't care if it's cheaper in price - i don't think i'm getting value for the money.
  12. RHutch macrumors 6502

May 21, 2003
    Amsterdam, OH
    Apple did this last year, in maybe September or October. I think if you bought a Mac you could get the smallest capacity iPod for $69 or $99. Something like that.

I do agree that it would be easier to convince someone who's spending a lot of money to spend a little more than to convince someone who's spending on an iPod to buy a new computer.
  13. utah_boy2 thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2003
    Middle of Utah
    I under stand the point you guys are trying to make. I think that someone willing to switch $50 isnt so much.

But if I am willing to give them $1000 for a laptop, When I have a, if I may be so bold as to saying, working XP machine. I think I should get something. I think the iPod for $99 with new mac purchase is a better idea.

14. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    It ended in December, and it was $100 off any iPod.
  15. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Yep, it was awesome because I needed a PowerBook for college and so I was able to sell my first Gen iPod and get a new one and make a little change too!