Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utah_boy2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Middle of Utah
Ok I bought a new XP machine last year, 13 months ago. And now I realize I want an iBook.

I would suggest that apple offer a discount to anyone who bought an iPod and wants to switch, I mean isnt that the point, to get people to enjoy apple products again?

If they had a $50-$100 off coupon (depending on model of mac) I would think more people would switch. I would be much more keen to switch.

Kinda a customer appreciation deal. Like the burrito place by me, buy five next time get one for free. Buy an iPod get a Mac for a better deal.

Jordan

This makes sense right? Or am I just being my usually cheap person again?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
utah_boy2 said:
Ok I bought a new XP machine last year, 13 months ago. And now I realize I want an iBook.

I would suggest that apple offer a discount to anyone who bought an iPod and wants to switch, I mean isnt that the point, to get people to enjoy apple products again?

If they had a $50-$100 off coupon (depending on model of mac) I would think more people would switch. I would be much more keen to switch.

Kinda a customer appreciation deal. Like the burrito place by me, buy five next time get one for free. Buy an iPod get a Mac for a better deal.

Jordan

It makes a lot of sense. And they could afford the discount. So what if people who were going to buy a Mac anyway buy an iPod first for the deal? It won't hurt Apple.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
jsw said:
So what if people who were going to buy a Mac anyway buy an iPod first for the deal? It won't hurt Apple.

$50 is $50. If they're going to buy a mac anyway, why provide a special discount? Apple's competing on style/substance, not price.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
utah_boy2 said:

No, the point is if people are willing to buy your product for $100, those same people will buy it for $150, so why give them a discount when you know you can make a bigger profit instead? Apple's trying to make a profit here, not give you a discount. If they price their products any cheaper, Mac fanatics will feel they're buying an inferior product.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
utah_boy2 said:

Yep, I'd say it's the cheap thing. Otherwise, why not simply offer everyone who buys an iPod $50 off their next Mac purchase? Your scenario doesn't much help anyone who's not switching, and as a cheap person myself, I can't help but think that's a tad unfair to loyal Mac users.

On the other hand, I'd be much more likely to drop $250 on a miniPod if I could get money off the PowerBook I'm planning to buy when they go G5. Apple....? :p

utah_boy2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Middle of Utah
So are mac fans buying them knowing they are, as some would say, overprices. Becuase they are BUYING a great product?

I'm the person who'd buy poweraid, not gatoraid. I bagged ceral, not Capt'n crunch. I buy my BigMac' on mondays only, when they're $.99. ;)

--
But I paid for a 10GB 2nd Gen iPod, $399. That was alot to me. Now I want an iBook. For $999, Little more then twice what I paid for an iPod. That is, lets face it, really just a hard drive. :(

I paid too much for an iPod or am paying too little for a iBook.

Jordan

I know technology changes and a 10Gb was only 299, untill the mini arrived.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2004
I bought my wife her first iPod in December. A week later I bought another one (for myself). A month later I bought a G5. Then I bought two iBooks off of ebay, sold them again and just received my G4 iBook.

It's crazy. I love Apple.

Xacttech

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2004
I'm also in Utah... Anyway...

I'd recommend buying a Refurbished ibook... Most of them are new anyway (Outdated revision) If you check out the special deals and refurbished ibooks, you'll be able to get one for your $999 price no problem...

Just a thought.

BTW I think your philosophy is fine, a $50 discount would not break the bank on apple's part, afterall a Student can get $100 off.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
it would make sense the other way.

buy an iBook and get a discount on iPod.

it would be far, far easier to try to sell a $300 device to someone who's already spending $1000.

it will take a lot more than just a little discount to try to convince an iPod buyer to spend $1000 on a laptop and switch OS.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
utah_boy2 said:
So are mac fans buying them knowing they are, as some would say, overprices. Becuase they are BUYING a great product?

more expensive does not mean overpriced.

if you see the value in it, then it's not overpriced.

i see the value of owning a Mac and i do not think i overpaid.

in fact, after switching, i'd consider most PC laptops running windows overpriced. i don't care if it's cheaper in price - i don't think i'm getting value for the money.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
jxyama said:
it would make sense the other way.

buy an iBook and get a discount on iPod.

it would be far, far easier to try to sell a $300 device to someone who's already spending $1000.

it will take a lot more than just a little discount to try to convince an iPod buyer to spend $1000 on a laptop and switch OS.

Apple did this last year, in maybe September or October. I think if you bought a Mac you could get the smallest capacity iPod for $69 or $99. Something like that.

I do agree that it would be easier to convince someone who's spending a lot of money to spend a little more than to convince someone who's spending on an iPod to buy a new computer.

utah_boy2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Middle of Utah
I under stand the point you guys are trying to make. I think that someone willing to switch $50 isnt so much.

But if I am willing to give them $1000 for a laptop, When I have a, if I may be so bold as to saying, working XP machine. I think I should get something. I think the iPod for $99 with new mac purchase is a better idea.

Jordan

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
RHutch said:
Apple did this last year, in maybe September or October. I think if you bought a Mac you could get the smallest capacity iPod for $69 or $99. Something like that.

It ended in December, and it was $100 off any iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.