*bought it* Finally going to get a New Notebook - but dont know what to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zimmy, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. Zimmy macrumors member

    Jul 19, 2005
    Hey guy just bought my new C2D "blackbook" this weekend just got the standard specs, planning to upgrade to 2gb ram soon..

    compared to my old 887mhz g4 this is amazingly fast!!!!

    thanks to all those that helped :D


    Hey everyone need a lil help, long time reader but dont post much..

    well i got a 12" powerbook G4, 887Mhz, 640Mb RAM, (Rev A) and well i have had it years and it has been a good work horse for me love it to bits. but recently its not keeping up with me.

    so have decided instead of selling it, give the laptop to my dad, he rarely users his Desktop PC, but think he will use the powerbook more once he see's how easier it is.

    so in about 3weeks i will be mac'less so to speak and now comes the dilema, i am a HE student and i know i can get a good deal form the HE store, been looking at the refurb(UK) store too.

    i got a budget about £1000 and i am looking for something that will last me a while and be good buy basically.

    i have a few thoughts on the refurb store:

    Refurb MacBook Pro 15.4" Core Duo 2.16GHz /1GB /100GB /SD /AP /BT -
    Your price: £999.00


    go for the Refurb MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo/1GB /120GB /SD /AP /BT
    Your price: £1,149.00

    from the above two how will much more performance will i get with the C2D? is the extra 150 worth it? i would like to upgrade to 2gb, getting the C2D upgrading to 2Gb will be at least another 100 pounds so is it better to get the
    CD and have 2GB for the sane price as the C2D?

    or go for a the Refurb MacBook black/ 2GHz Intel Core Duo/ 512MB/ 80GB/ SD/ BT/ AE
    Your price: £749.00

    or the HE store C2D version for around £850 i think, and upgrade to 2GB ram?

    i am really sorry for all the questions just a bit lost on what to get, just need some advice.

  2. crdean1 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 14, 2005
    Rule of thumb (for me anyway)...since I keep my computers for a good while, I like to get the most I can afford at the time and keep it for as long is as reasonable for my needs.

    That said, you will surely enjoy the screen real estate of the MBP if you can afford it. As to the C2D, do some research on Apple's site to see the speed difference. It won't be a huge difference, and both will be much faster than your old 12" pb.
  3. Zimmy thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 19, 2005
    Thanks mate, yeha i am kinda like u buy once and run it as long as possible.. lol..

    yeah i am doing a huge jump in specs from 887Mhz G4 to either a 2.0 or 2.16 C2D/CD! i soooo cant wait!!

    well this would be my main computer, so i guess i should get something better, even if its 1gb ram, i can always buy add on for it later on the year..

    will be checking the refurb store during the next 3 weeks, and on the 4th..well we shall wait and see

  4. scootermafia macrumors member

    Jan 10, 2005
    Get the C2D. Although it isn't advertised as such, it has 802.11n which you'll need for the future (they put it in quietly). The Core Duo MBP's do not have this.
  5. Zimmy thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 19, 2005
    yeah was thinking about this esp with aTV, which i plan to get too, but the rest of the house is 11g, but i will be the only one using, does it connect in adhoc mode, or infrastucture? like uses the home network to connect to my mac.

    also with the 40GB HDD on it, most my files will be on it anyway. so woulnt really stream it..

    oh decisions..

  6. Craigy Boy macrumors member

    Dec 27, 2006
    I'm in the exact same position deciding between macbook and mabook pro. I'm a H.E student too and the moment leaning towards the macbook pro as the screen size is a lot more useful to me, and it is actually only 200g heavier than the macbook.

    A new 15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 1gb ram, 120gb hard drive is £1146.80 on the H.E site, plus you get the 3 year applecare included free now as you are a student (big bonus over refurb in my opinion)

    I'm personally going to up mine to 160gb hard drive and 2gb ram, this will be £1307 in total (as opposed to the £1539 normal price)

    A black macbook with 2gb ram and 160gb harddrive is £1023.43 with H.E discount (£1006 for white)

    So yes it is £300 more to get a similar spec macbook pro, but to me that is worth it. I could link the macbook up to a bigger screen (and still will do), but want to always have that extra resolution where ever i go. The deciding factor for me was when I went round my mates, one has a macbook, one has a pro, i just clicked with the pro more (bigger screen, better resolution, the body, the keyboard etc) but the macbook is still great. Each to their own I say.

    Hope I've been of some help.

  7. siurpeeman macrumors 603


    Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i completely agree with this. the n-wireless with the marginally improved speed and faster super drive would all push me to get a c2d macbook pro.
  8. Zimmy thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 19, 2005
    i slowly learning to the C2D side.. just need to make the figures work for me..

    had another thought this evening on the tube home, getting a mid range macbook filling the gap/need for a new machine....then getting a major update later this year, when the blu-ray disks and possible redesign of the notebook

  9. student_trap macrumors 68000


    Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    get the c2d, its faster, has better wireless and doesn't suffer the issues that plagued the cd models, such as it becomming VERY hot, whining etc etc
  10. Zimmy thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 19, 2005
    Yeah, think the C2D is the better option in all cases, Rev B, upgraded proc & .11n


Share This Page