Bought Mac on eBay + shipping snafu = bad!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suneohair, Feb 14, 2007.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Ok, So I bought a Macbook Core 2 on eBay last week. Paid for it within a few days. She mailed it. Sweet everything is good.

It was scheduled to arrive today. I check the tracking and it had... I thought hmmm I didn't hear a knock on the door. I live in an apartment building though, and I have had UPS leave stuff in a different part of the building, the actual "front door", so I go out there. Nothing. I check in front of everyones door. Nothing. I asked around. Nothing. What the heck!

I call up UPS and they are going to call back when they get ahold of the driver to see if he can offer some insight.

I contacted the seller to let her know what was happening. She says she is not responsible after it is delivered (which it wasn't, at least to me) she also only insured it up to $1000, I paid over $1300 (it had 2GB of RAM).

So what are my options here? If UPS comes back with nothing, and the seller is saying it is now my responsibility what can I do? Thanks everybody.

2. Finnxeon macrumors regular

Finnxeon

that sucks....this happened to me with fedex last week, although with not nearly as expensive of an object. I ordered a photobook from iphoto and i checked tracking and it said it had been delivered....but it had not. so i called and i guess the truck driver sighned for it(i have no idea why) but it was at my house the next day so i am not sure what to tell you. I really hope it all works out for you. GOOD LUCK!

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Mate that sounds like bad luck. Do you know what the terms for delivery were? Did it have to be signed for or have you signed any sort of waiver form that says they can leave your deliveries at "X" point?

If so, usually that waives their responsibilities with regard to it being stolen

If UPS comes up with nothing in terms of where it was left but it might be their fault, then then I'd guess it's time to report it stolen and start an insurance claim.

However, I'd say because the seller underinsured it, she is liable to pay the extra $300 on top of the $1,000 you should get back. She went cheapo on the insurance and should pay up for that IMO. Have you left eBay feedback yet. If she's got a solid, well-looked after account, it can a powerful card in this situation.

Hope you can sort it though.

4. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Never signed a waiver. This package obviously didn't require signature or I am guessing he wouldn't have juts left it.

I havent left feedback, she is only at 95%. Isn't it the shippers respsonsiblity to file the claim?

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

There is a good chance the seller will just say "tough luck sue me." and then you will find that lawyers cost more then notebooks and you don't really want to wait 4 years for a trial and the lawyer would keep most of any recovered settlement anyway Check eBay's terms of sale. You may find the terms are "as is, where is" which means you own it before it is shipped and in whatever condition it happens to be in, working or not. ebay really is a great place to sell. Terms are totally in the seller's favor

6. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Well I filed a paypal dispute. Paypal is pretty good about it. As far as I can see since I didn't sign, the seller isn't covered under the seller protection.

I was reading and it seems that it is the sellers responsibility to file a claim when the packge is lost or stolen. The buyer files when the package is damaged.

I think I am covered here. If the seller decides not to cooperate, I will escalate to a claim in which case I should win.

I doubt eBay has a policy that says anything about when you own it. eBay doesn't really handle claims anyhow. That is for the payment service to handle. Which is why I use paypal. The seller can say tough luck, but I definetly have a way to get my money back.

I don't think I will have much of a problem getting my money back. The seller will then have to file insurance. I just wish the seller would havent added signature. Would have saved everybody trouble.

7. Superhob macrumors regular

The burden should be on UPS to prove that you received it. When something is insured for that much money UPS usually requires a signature and will leave a note on your door until they see you face to face so you can sign for it. You need to initiate an investigation with UPS and make it clear that you did not sign for the item.

Also, as far as the seller goes if you paid by paypal they should have protection, sometimes up to 2,000.00, on their paypal account. You can also file a report with ebay that the item was never received. Worse comes to worse you can sue the seller in small claims court. It's not very expensive to file the lawsuit. If the seller only insured it for 1,000 and you paid 300 then you can sue for the 300 difference if the seller refuses to pay.

Good luck.

8. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

UPS knows I didn't sign. They simply left it at the "front door."

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I dunno if it has to be within the same state or whatnot, but there are always small claims court. :)

10. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I don't think it will go that far. Hey devilot did the sleeve come yet?

11. AaronICT macrumors member

1. File a police report.
    2. File an insurance claim. (if you can, like you said it could be seller's responsibility)
    3. Blame UPS and take it up with them.

It's really not the seller's fault and I think you are walking on thin ice to try and get the money back from her. The burden is on UPS at this point.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Wel, it is an option to go to small claims, and you wouldn't need a lawyer although it could be helpful.

And no, not yet arrived.

13. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Yes it is on UPSs shoulders, however the seller agrees to produce an item for me. That has not happened. If the package had been damaged it would be a different story. I would have to file the claim.

If the seller would have required signature, we wouldnt be here right now. You don't send a $1300 (insured for $1000...) and not have a signature. That is asking for trouble, and indeed from what I have read Paypal only protects you if you require signature for items over $250.

I most assuredly don't want to make this a hassle, but it is not my responsiblity to file a claim and I most assuredely can't wait around for the claim to go through before I get my money back.

14. AaronICT macrumors member

I see your point. Good luck, man. I always assumed packages valued a certain amount or more automatically required signatures. I think FedEx does this. And what's up with the seller not insuring high enough? Duh.

Keep us updated, I'm curious how this turns out. (Out of curiosity, would you be willing to share the eBay item number or seller name so I can avoid them in the future?)

A

15. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I can do that. I will wait for a resolution however. If anyone wants it, I will offer the information in private. I won't post it in this thread.

Thanks. I will need some luck I think.

16. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I think you over-reacting filing a PayPal dispute already. Give UPS a day or 2 to sort it out, I have a feeling it is lost somewhere and they will get it to you.

17. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I agree. I really think you jumped the gun by filing the dispute. In situations like these, it helps if you show a little restraint.

18. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

A dispute and a claim are different. A dispute is simply a means for me to discuss with the seller and have it documented. When I escalate it to a claim, that is when it gets serious. When I told the seller what was up, she basically said I am not responsible. She didn't offer to help, or call UPS. Just nope you are screwed, and by the way it is underinsured by $300.

What if the buyer doesn't respond to me at all? Which she hasn't since the first email I sent. I only have 45 days. And 20 days after I file the dispute for a claim.

And I don't think I am jumping the gun here. UPS said, we left it at the door. Pretty cut and dry. They didn't say, well maybe we lost it. They said they delivered it, it was scanned as delivered. Yet it is nowhere in my building.

I don't really see what they could sort out. They didn't offer up a suggestion or anything. As far as they are concerned it has been delivered to me, which it hasn't been.

And again, the dispute is simply to have a documented means of handling this. I have no notebook, and it is not my duty to fill the claim. That is all I am saying.

I don't mean to sound like I am flying off the handle. I really am not, I just need a computer. Neither UPS or the seller offered me anything to help, which means I need to excercise my options.

19. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I've been on eBay for almost 10 years. While filing a dispute may have been a little premature, you do have a time limit. The bad thing is that you only get 1 chance with paypal. If they decide that the terms of the delivery were met, you can not appeal.

The seller is irresponsible to just drop it in your lap. I've had lost / misdirected packages and bent over backwards to help my customers when there have been delivery problems. The mark of a good seller is how they handle problems if/when they arise.

That said, if she did insure it for $1000, then the driver should not have left it without a signature.

I'd suggest going to the eBay community forums and see what the consenus is there. Visit the Sellers Central discussion.

20. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

UPS are the ones that screwed it up. Take it up with them. It doesn't matter who you think should be helping you. Sure the seller under insured the item, but at least they didn't really go on the cheap and not insure it at all. Consider yourself lucky. UPS is still on the hook for a grand. Give them hell. If the seller won't pick up the slack, it's your job to take care of it. Believe me, I know it sucks, I've been there, but the only one who will look out for you is you.

I stand by what I said. Whether you think so or not, filing a dispute through PayPal would be viewed as a hostile act by the seller, especially when this all happened within hours of when the package was supposedly dropped off. You may have burned any bridge that you had with the seller by filing that dispute.

That being said, I truly hope that this gets fixed for you. I've been ripped off big before. It's a pretty terrible feeling, on a lot of levels. Good luck.

21. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I don't really think they will consider the terms met, since paypal requires you to have a signature when you ship items valued at over $250.

I am going to try and handle it with the seller. But she will have options inside paypal to make it right. Like a refund or what have you.

I will get on the eBay discussions and see what they think. I may have been quick, but noone has given me any options. The dispute is simply to kick the seller into gear and not try to pin the whole thing in my lap as you said. Thanks everyboby.

22. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I don't even know if it was really insured, nor do I have the reciept proving it was shipped and insurance was bought.

When you insure something for $1000, shouldnt a signature be required?

The folks on the eBay forum said I should file a claim right away. The seller keeps insisting it is on me. Here is the thing, I read the UPS site portion on insurance claims. Even if I file the claim, everything goes to the seller, including the claim check. So she could keep both monies, so i'd be doubly screwed.

I think a claim is the way to go. The seller is now saying she will be gone for a week, and nothing can happen until then. That isn't the way to sell.

23. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

24. MyLittleRiley macrumors newbie

25. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

sureeeeee she is. :rolleyes: