Bought MacBook Retina 13 and in 4 days have 30 cycles!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spree254, Feb 18, 2013.

1. macrumors member

My about Mac says I have 30 cycles on my battery n I only bought it on fri . Called tech and he said impossible unless it was a used Mac . I said if its used then how could they sell it to me as new ? Anyone else have this weird issue ? I see a genius tomorrow .

2. macrumors 68030

Spink10

Very weird - glad you setup and appointment.

3. thread starter macrumors member

I'm new to Macs this was my first one . Kinda disappointed if it turns out my 1500.00 purchase wasn't new but sold as new ! Lol

4. macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Where did you buy it from?

5. thread starter macrumors member

I bought it at my local Apple store . It was posed be new . The box it came in was like an iPad box not sure if that matters or not ? I only drained the battery 2 times and fully charged after each . But not 30 cycles in basically 3 days like it says . If they say its right I'm just gonna ask for a new one out the box if not ill get my refund and buy one at a later date I guess .

6. macrumors 65816

Arnezie

??? I dont understand

7. thread starter macrumors member

Came in this box . Guess this is the box they all come in ?

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Yeah that's the box. Was it sealed?

9. macrumors regular

ZmyDust

please update us on the resolution after you meet with a genius hopefully theyll make it right.

10. thread starter macrumors member

Yes it was sealed and wrapped in plastic clear . I guess I'll have to wait till my appt tomorrow at 4:45 pm est . And see what they say . Just didn't know if anybody had experienced this problem .

11. macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Ask for a gift card for going through this trouble

12. thread starter macrumors member

I doubt I get anything really . I just have a feeling this was a used rMBP13 n they sold it as new . If that's the case ill make a big deal and call Apple and complain more . Worse case I just ask for refund.

13. macrumors 6502a

swerve147

The Apple store would let you exchange it for sure. And maybe you should open the replacement in the store to save you another potential trip.

14. thread starter macrumors member

That be great ! Ill just have them set it up there n check the cycle right away . Ill keep you guys posted tomorrow . Thanks for all the help everyone who posted .

15. macrumors 6502a

Was this still a 2012 model or a new revised 2013? If you bought it on Friday, it should have been the 2013 version.

16. thread starter macrumors member

Just checked here it says its a late 2012 ! You are right , should have been a 2013 model . Mines is the 13 inch base that I bought . You think I can ask them to exchange it for a new 2013 ?

17. macrumors 6502a

I don't know. The base 13 doesn't have the "new" label to it on the Apple website, so I'm not sure if the base 13 will be an early 2013 release like the 15 is...or even the higher end 13.

18. thread starter macrumors member

The site says that there are 2013 early 13 retinas 128 and 256 my serial number says mines is a late 2012 . So it should have been a 2013 . I think they pulled a fast one in me and still doesn't explain why I have 30 cycles of my battery after only 3-4 days if use?

----------

Nismo73 you are correct sir , the site doesn't list the 128 retina as new . So maybe the date is correct mines is late 2012 but the main thing is ..... If it was new in the box how am I at 30 battery cycles ?? Guess ill find out tomorrow , but def gonna ask for a replacement n if not a refund .

19. macrumors 6502

What does the age of your computer say on coconut battery?

20. thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what that is ? Coconut battery ? This is my first Mac , so idk all the tricks yet lol !

21. macrumors 6502a

Coconut battery is a battery stat app. It will report on cycles etc.

It could just be that it went through a lot of stress testing at the factory but 30 cycles seems excessive. If it was in a normal box and sealed normally it will be new, apple won't sell a used machine, even refurbs have new batteries. It could be that someone resealed it before they returned it and apple didn't notice?

22. swerve147, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Coconut Battery is an app (link). It has an indicator for the age of your machine (see attached).

The bottom line is that it is impossible to put 30 charge cycles on a notebook in 4 days of usage. This is a no-questions asked exchange. Set up an appointment at the Apple Store and get it exchanged.

Apple has a 14 day return policy with MacBooks. If you are not satisfied for any reason you can return it for a full refund (if you want). There isn't even a restocking fee, so there should be no reason why you can't get this resolved easily.

The only thing you need to do as an additional step is make sure you are getting the newest model with a new battery.

Attached Files:

23. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ill def look into installing this on my Mac . I'm at work so I can't do anything until my appointment later this evening . You are right thought , no way I did 30 cycles in 4 days . I called Apple support and the guy even said there's no way it has that many cycles . He said unless it was used , but then said but you bought it new so that's not right either . Told me go to genius and ask to get a new one or refund . I'm just curious to see what they say when they see it .

24. macrumors Core

alphaod

It's possible a previous user re-sealed the computer and returned it and therefore you were sold a previously returned computer. How likely that is, is low, but it's better than receiving bricks at least.

That said, you should have no issue getting an exchange done for a new computer. I wouldn't even bother with a Genius appointment. Just and get an exchange at the Apple Store at which you purchased this computer. Tell them about the battery issue and they will take care of it immediately.

25. thread starter macrumors member

I called and told them I wanted to exchange but he asked if they could make an appt and have a genius look at it first , so I agreed . I have the tech support email so I have proof that this was a strange issue . Jus kinda bummed this is my first Mac experience and I'm going through all this crap and not even had it for a week !