Bought my PBook -- false start! (Dead Pixel Question)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ryvius, May 29, 2004.

1. Ryvius macrumors member

Alright, took the plunge and got my PBook, a 12" wonder.

I love it so far but it's clear there's a dead pixel at the top center.

Now the Applestore is currently closed, but I'm wondering if many people have reported dead pixels in the LCD and if so what Apple's policy is on dealing with it.

Will they replace it? Will they tell me to take a hike?

-- Ryvius

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think up to 5 dead pixels are considered acceptable, so they won't exchange it.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if its just one dead pixel it cant be replaced, some ppl recomend massaging it out, but i jst leave mine.

theres a diff between a stuck and a dead one is urs dead

4. iGav macrumors G3

Dead = black/grey = you can't massage it out.
    Stuck= Red/Green/Blue = if you're lucky, then you might be able to massage it out.

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Was it there when you turned it on or did it appear when it was running for a while?

6. gundamguy macrumors newbie

thats why i never buy anything with an lcd online

I bought my ibook in a store just for the fact that dead pixels drive me insane, I had one noticible black dot in the middle of my thinkpad for years and it pissed me off, buying in a store lets you make sure your not getting any bad ones right off.

7. legion macrumors 6502a

Why didn't you exchange it? IBM online gives you a 30days no questions asked policy in the US.

8. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I have a dead pixel in the center of the screen, about a third of the way in from the left. I noticed it every day for a couple weeks, but now I actually have to look for it. As long as it's not a black one in the dead center or something, it won't be a problem.

9. wide macrumors 6502a

Apple should replace it. If not, just return the computer and order a new one :D. I've massaged a black pixel on my Pismo and in a few seconds it popped back in and started working. If I were you, though, I wouldn't tolerate it. You paid good money for that computer, so Apple had better fix it! On the other hand, none of my Dell computers have ever had a dead pixel :D

10. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I don't see how buying a laptop in person will let you see if there are dead pixels on it or not on the screen of a laptop that's completely sealed in a box which was shipped to the store no different than if you ordered it online. You still just get a sealed box and have to take it home and cross your fingers that it all works out fine.

Unless you bought the floor display model that's been mishandled and abused by every onlooker or curious consumer who happened to pass through the store...

11. dbirider macrumors member

how hard do you massage when you massage a dead pixel. ive tried doing it to my bright blue one a bunch of times, and so far it wont go away.

12. Ryvius thread starter macrumors member

I tried massaging it out and it appears to have worked...so far.

It's gone, but having had dead pixels in PDAs and other labtops, this was a pleasant surprise.

Here's hoping it stays that way...

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

13. nikeballa09 macrumors member

has anyone had a dead pixel on a new ibook G4?

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

dead pixels are possible on any product with an LCD, and usually its not ap er comapny thing, dell lcds get them too.

15. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

its because you are now dealing with people rather than a computerised system.

Certainly here in the UK I have had personal experience of asking a salesperson if they could please allow me to open the box and check the machine (in my instance a Thinkpad) before leaving the store and agree to allowing me to select another box if we collectively found a dead pixel situation. I have also quietly asked the same thing with reference to a Powerbook in an Apple certified store and got a quiet affirmative.

The one problem is that you have to purchase stock configurations, rather than BTO's so that means standard graphic memory, 4200rpm HD etc.

I have to say that despite understanding the counter argument (we must accept this as otherwise PB's would be excessively expensive, etc. etc.) if I was to spend circa £2K+ on a laptop I would DEMAND perfection and would find it extremely difficult to be as realxed on my tainted investment as some claim to be.

Vanilla

16. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

Apparently the official Apple pixel counts are as follows:

It is ACCEPTABLE for an LCD to have:

Up to 3 STUCK pixels,
    Up to 5 DEAD pixels,
    or up to 7 of a COMBINATION of erroneous pixels.

Apple will replace youre display if you have

4 or more STUCK pixels,
    6 or more DEAD pixels,
    or 8 or more of a COMBINATION of erroneous pixels.

Yes, it is bull****, i know, as both my 17" imac and 15" powerbook screens have ONE stuck pixel each, but hey, what can you do.

17. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I really really don't think the Apple Store (at least here in the U.S.) or any other store for that matter would break the seal on a product to start it up just to see if there are any dead pixels on the screen for you, as this would diminish the value big time since they couldn't sell it as Brand New anymore.

18. wide macrumors 6502a

In case you're responding to me: I know, I've been really lucky with my LCD displays :).

Just a question: if your brand-new machine has a dead pixel, and Apple will not replace it, could you return your machine and just buy a new one? What is Apple's return policy?

I agree completely--those people in Apple Stores, especially at the Genius bar are complete ***holes. I had static on my iPod mini, and the Genius Bar person completely blew me off until I argued with one of them for ten minutes and got myself a place in line ahead of everyone else. My mini was a new product, and I sure as hell was not going to wait two hours in line for a mistake on their part. They really need to get a hold of support. It might be the deciding factor in me getting a new Mac this December or not (actually i think not :D but it was very annoying).

19. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Well I am sure you do not mean to accuse me of lying, so I'll just repeat and elaborate on my comment.

I have indeed purchased a Thinkpad in a shop down Tottenham Court Road, London and got them to open the box first and fire up the laptop to check the screen prior to purchase. I have also asked at an Apple centre here in London that IF I was to purchase a PB off them would they be prepared to do the same and they answered in the affirmative. I must add this was a quiet conversation to one side of the main floor, one-to-one and the guy had to confer with a colleague before agreeing, but I gained some comfort in knowing that they were prepared to do this.

I do find this whole issue frankly disgusting. I have bought numerous (well 4 actually) Thinkpads with no issue, bar one, which had one stuck pixel discovered in the store prior to purchase and immediately replaced and yet with Apple we are asked to essentially pay £2K+ for an Apple lottery ticket, the prize being a screen without fault. I imagine also that this "policy" remains true for the Apple Displays, which compounds the issue. I currently use a G5 attached to a CRT screen (thankyou edesignuk) and have a Thinkpad as my portable option for this reason.

The counter argument explains that to put in place a QA process that rejected ALL faulty screens would put prices up unacceptably. IMO we are already asked to pay premium rates for the product and I feel that a marketing campaign that stated every screen was GUARANTEED to be perfect (or replacement if a faulty one slipped through and was purchased) would be extremely successful, the increased sales of which over time would go some way to countering the increased costs in the first place.

You expect your shiny new car to be perfect, you expect your shiny new HiFi system to be perfect, you expect your shiny new TV to be perfect and I expect my shiny new PB to be perfect.

Vanilla

20. daveyc macrumors newbie

If I was waiting in a queue and you tantrumed your way in front of me in the queue, I think I'd feel you were the A**hole buddy.... :rolleyes:

:eek: Any good PC store in the UK would do this for you. Even PC World have done this for me with laptop and tft sales. If a store won't do this to take your money, I suggest you turn around from the sales advisor and walk away. If Sales service sucks for somethign so simple when they should be begging for your money, chances are the aftersales will be twice as annyoingly strict and impersonal.

21. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

There seem to be a lot more compaints about the PowerBook in this respect, are there any Ibook users out there who've had this problem?

I'm currently saving for a new G4 Ibook, and i'm telling you, if the screen isn't up to scracth i'm sending it back and getting a new once since this just isn't the kind of thing you expect from an Apple - with a PC it's kinda expected - but Mac's are the posh cars of computer hardware (and resently, software too - OS X Yaaaaaa!)

But there don't seem to be many complaits from PC users about this, or i've never heard of one surprisingly :rolleyes:

Mark.

22. daveyc macrumors newbie

Naaa, Screens are screens. Apple buy in the screens just as dell, hp, et al buy in TFT's.

I've had two High class Vaio Laptops before my Powerbook, both with stuck pixels. It's just the tech of the screen....you can get bad ones.

23. Macdantheman07 macrumors member

I had two stuck pixels on my imac's screen and i took a palm pilot stylus and massaged them out. It is key that you use a palm stylus; its the only thing that works. Do not press too hard, and do not use your finger.

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

ibooks are not immune to this problem as this is common to all lcd displays. however, it all comes down to numbers, which in this case are the production volumes: the ibooks use the traditional 4:3 screens which are widely used among other manufacturers too, but the powerbooks' widescreen displays are (likely) produced in far smaller quantities, and therefore it is possible that the factory might not be able to keep the quality control as good as in the higher volume productions.

25. wide macrumors 6502a

When it comes to a glitch in their product, and they make me wait in line for nearly two hours, I have a right to be an *******. It's their fault that I'm waiting in line, and it's their job to not argue and be polite to me, even if they hate my guts. You can't just stand in line--that won't get you anywhere. If you really want attention, you have to persist. And even when I did get ahead in line, my genius was still rude, saying "I put off fifteen other people to help you." I don't care. If those people aren't bold enough to make themselves heard, then it's their problem if they have to wait in line. If I'm not mistaken, they aren't supposed to say that, ever. I would gladly have accepted a full refund for my iPod mini than receive that awful service. If that is the way Apple treats their customers, then I will take my business elsewhere.

By the way, I didn't cut anyone in line. They have an electric queue in the NYC SoHo Apple Store, and you sign up there. I did not have a tantrum. I requested service immediately, and when they responded "No", I asked them why I couldn't get helped immediately. However *******-ish I might have seemed, I didn't ever act impolite.