Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill6410

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
OK - after 10 years away from Macs I am jumping back in. (My wife does not understand why I won't throw away my Mac Classic). I had great success on the Mac Refurb site with an ipod and decided to buy my Mac there.

Earlier this week I bought a macbook - I am now concerned that I pulled the trigger too soon as the model I purchased appears to be an older (late 2006) Macbook.

I purchased the FA700 - $850
Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
1GB memory
80GB hard drive
6x SuperDrive

Was this a good purchase? Any comments on this Macbook?

Thanks

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I was just talking with some industry gurus and they said that soon, the MINIMUM memory for computers will be 2 Gigs. 4 Gigs will be mainstream, 8 Gigs if you want to really get things done.

They were speaking "generally", so I assume it didn't really matter what OS you had, just make sure your hardware is up to the tasks and is expandable.

So, depending on what you want to do the next few years with your computer - you be the judge...

I upgraded mine to 4 so I can be ready for Vista on the Windows side, and 10.6 on the OS X side.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
IMHO as long as you buy a macbook with at least a dvdwriter built in then you will be fine for a few years, you can upgrade the ram and HDD anyway.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
The computer you purchased is nowhere near top of the line, but depending on your needs and use of the computer; you should be fine. Also, after 10 years removed from the Mac world, I really don't think you will notice that the computer is in anyway "old". :)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
It seems like a good deal to me. My 1.33GHz PB G4 with 1GB RAM and a 120GB hdd is perfectly fine for daily computing needs such as email, web, iTunes, and the like. Unless you're doing heavy lifting [in which case you'd have looked at the MBP, right?], you'll be fine. Upgrade the RAM if you feel things are sluggish.

Most of all, enjoy your new Mac.:)

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
That was a great deal. Just upgrade that puppy to 4GB and you will have a perfectly functioning laptop for years to come.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Earlier this week I bought a macbook - I am now concerned that I pulled the trigger too soon as the model I purchased appears to be an older (late 2006) Macbook....

Although you're right that it's a late-06 model, the same machine with a CD-writer (instead of the Superdrive) became the base model until mid-2007 - it's a very decent machine and sounds a pretty good deal to me.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
No, you're good. I paid $850 for the same machine but it was a first gen 2.0 Core Duo. So yours is 30% faster. I'd hit up OWC (macsales.com) and max your memory. If I'm not mistaken, your machine is maxed at 3G?

AMessy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
I think you got a really good deal. My parents have had the same machine for well over a year, in fact i'm using it right now. It's a really nice machine and for what they use it for, internet surfing, Office, and iPhoto I really don't notice any difference between their machine and my roommate's 2.2 SR Blackbook.

The only bad thing about the macbooks is that since I've been using them so much lately i'm starting to notice how much better the display is compared to my lil powerbook. :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
That was a great deal. Just upgrade that puppy to 4GB and you will have a perfectly functioning laptop for years to come.

I think this model will only go up to 2Gig, but you can put in 3 total...

OP - get at least the 2Gig chip for it - dirt cheap nowadays.. You'll get 2.5Gigs.. If you have a little extra, get a 1Gig chip for the other slot for 3 total.

bill6410

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Thanks

Wow - what great responses. Thank you. (it's good to be back with mac people)

One question - it is 2mb. I assume there are two slots. So, one slot can hold 2mb and the other 1mb?? Can they both hold 2mb? Sorry for the questions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.