Bought the Apple mouse.....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DeSnousa, May 19, 2005.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    At first i really hated the apple mouse. 1 button come on. But that look was to hard to resist, a perfect complement to my iBook. So i bought one today. Its a bit weird at first, but i took a liking to it, its sexy and surprisingly comfortable to use. Plus i know some keyboard shortcuts and am willing to learn more, so in the end it works at great.

Sorry about posting another thread about the mouse, but i recommend that people try it for a day and see if they like it, instead of bagging it like i used to do.
  2. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I just bought one too - the Bluetooth one because basically its the best one out there (when you consider battery life and quality). I still miss the clickable-scroll wheel for using in Firefox (scroll wheel for scrolling through long docs and using the clickable scroll wheel for opening links in new tabs and closing tabs - extremely efficient). But when it comes to having a wireless setup I don't think u can beat it. Batteries are still going strong at full power. It is weird to use though - feels heavy and makes my arm sorta tired (feel like i might get RSI) - probably because im so used to using a scroll wheel (and thus not moving the mouse much) but now I have to move the mouse a lot. Plus my desk is really cluttered at the moment so its difficult to freely move the mouse around. Just something I have to get used to.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah, I'm a long time Mac mouse user.

Style over substance - that's me. :D
  4. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I was against the Apple mouse right up until I started using one.
    I use the Bluetooth version and I find it really nicely weighted, comfortable in the hand, with accurate tracking.
    I don't have any problem with selecing Ctrl-Click for right-clicking and in fact now find myself accidentally right-clicking when using a standard two-button mouse.
    Finally and with regard to your scrolling comment, as I have the latest PowerBook, when I want to scroll I just use the trackpad!
  5. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I find that there is a way out of using the right click. like im getting use to dragging pics from safari to the desktop or the apple button plus save.
  6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
  7. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    I too am an Apple Mouse user.

"Hello, my name is Ken and I use the Apple Mouse."

I find that I am much more relaxed using the left hand on the keyboard, right on the mouse with just a single mouse.

I even use the mouse with FPS... :eek:
  8. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I knew there was a reason we got along so well. :D
  9. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2003
    to each their own and everything, but i don't know which i hate more: the 1-button (albeit pretty) mouse or steve's bull-headed attitude of "you'll use it & you'll like it". :mad:

HOW hard would it be for Apple to produce a really nice, BT 2+ button mouse w/ a slick scrollwheel and offer it as an BTO OPTION?? i drop $2k+ on a "professional" machine & get a toy for a mouse. for cripe sake, i can tweak everything else about my order, but when it comes to the mouse, i'm stuck. i end up throwing away the apple mouse (evidently worth $30, according to apple) & plunking down another $60-70 for a useful one. drives me nuts.

i was in an employee meeting years ago when steve called it a "failure of design" to need a second button. so by that logic, a keyboard is a failure of design to need all these keys for my fingers to press just to get text on the screen? meh.

glad you guys enjoy the mouse, but i have 5 fingers on each hand & if it speeds up the redundancy of my job to click away w/ my right hand, i should have that option... [/rant]
  10. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island

Me too!

Gotta love the double click button, right click, back, quite, close window, and well.... I didn't program the rest. (I have at certain points though, mostly when I'm using iMovie a lot, and not on my own system (using iMovie is actually work related, I do all my personal editing in Final Cut Pro)
  11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

I was looking back over my post and I don't think I was joking...

Yeah, it's scary, isn't it. :D
  12. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    At work. I am an apple mouse user, then I go home to my Three button mouse with the scrolling wheel "nipple". I just can't bring myself you use the apple at home. I think the scrolling wheel makes all the difference.

I plan on ordering the MX1000 soon!
  13. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    i just sold my apple BT on ebay.

got 45 for it, and tomorrow i am ordering an mx1000 through amazon for 50 brand new.

cant beat that!
  14. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    My MX1000 is damn stylish too, and it's got 8 buttons! Eat that, Apple Mouse! :)
  15. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    I switched from a Kensington bluetooth mouse with scroll wheel and back to the Apple mouse recently, and I also noticed that my arm became sort of tired. The good news is that the feeling disappeared after I got used to the Apple mouse grip. It takes a couple of days to adjust, maybe even a week.
  16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i love my apple BT mouse, great feel to it. although if there was a BT verion of the MX1000 i would be tempted to use that....

however, the Apple mouse just fits so nicely with my apple BT keyboard and my powerbook, it just looks nice and clean. thats just me, and i dont use the right click as much as i did when i was on Windows.
  17. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    you only have 4 fingers though! :rolleyes:
    It's been proved that multiple-button mice cause more RSI. :p
    I can do stuff fast enough with key combo/single click than with 7 more buttons on my mouse!

Most computers ship with a crappy mouse as standard
    You have 5 fingers? FREAK! :p
  18. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

May 6, 2005
    I will stick with my 5 button mouse! having Dashboard on the scroll click and expose set on the side button of the mouse is too much usefull for me. I should agree that the right click is useless until you use Pro appz where it's a must have. By the Waymy mouse is a Microshaft one lol, but I like it more then Apple mouse wich I transform in a hashtray, it make beautiful hashtray :rolleyes:
  19. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    for most mac desktop users - i can see how the 2-button mouse is desirable. but for all mac notebook users, your stuck with a 1-button trackpad, so you eventually get used to it using only one button.

i've found the apple mouse actually much more ergonomic than any mouse i've ever used. its not too big, or too small. you feel the leverage in your clicks. i don't know. just something to it.

but i mostly prefer my wacom graphire 9x12 tablet instead. and my pen's clicking functions are not mapped at all! :D
  20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
  21. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Why does this have to be such an issue for people?

If Apple made a two button mouse with scroll wheel, the best mice would still be from third-parties (Logitech, MS, etc.) And who knows, the third parties might stop making drivers for those awesome mice, seeing as Apple is "entering the marker for input devices."

I for one, like the simplicity of a one-button mouse. And if I want two/three/more buttons, I can get a third party mouse, or use the mouse from my old PC, or whatever. Making it a BTO option would just confuse the Joe Schmoes whom Apple seems to be targeting, the pros who need more than two buttons and a scroll wheel (like tablets, trackballs, touch screens, pen inputs, etc.) would buy something else anyway, and the development cost for this new mouse would get tacked onto the price of Apple hardware. Is it that hard to use your left hand to hold the CTRL key instead of using the middle finger of your right hand? It's not like you can write a novel with one hand on the keyboard and your other hand on the mouse. And if you don't want to "pay" for the one button Apple Mouse, just sell it and get yourself something you'll be happy with. Laptop users can gripe a bit more, as you can't change the trackpad really, but you can use an external two button + scroll wheel if you're that desperate for right-click.

Sorry if this comes across as the wrong way, but I've heard this stuff before, and I always say the same things in response to it. It's not life and death!
  22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Meh, I've used it regularly and while I do know enough shortcuts to get by, I'll still bag it when I want to. :p

Actually, 3 buttons is too few now.

- Left and right click for the normal stuff.
    - Scroll-wheel click to open new tabs in Safari
    - The strange, tiny, seemingly useless button below those the left and right button on all Logitech MX 300 mice.

I need a 5 button:

- one more for Dashboard.
    - one button for Spotlight. :)
  23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

And one more for Expose? Or maybe that should be three more for Expose?

I know! How about a 109 button mouse, all in white, with 26 buttons for the alphabet? And lets start at Q, then W...

Just playing. ;)
  24. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Holy hell, man! I could never get used to a one button mouse for gaming...

Button1: Fire
    Button2: Alternate Fire
    Button3: Admin Dialogue
    Button4: In-game Talking
    Button5: Team-Speak Talking
    Scroll Wheel: Switch Weapons

Those are 6 buttons that I use refularly for CS:S :eek:
  25. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    No thanks. I will keep my multi buttoned mouse.

Apple and its infinate wisdom to keep a 1 button mouse.... 2 buttons to complicated or what? How many pedals does a car have, just 1? no its got more... so a mouse should too...

If you are too confused how to operate a mouse, you shouldnt own a compueter.