Bouncing dock icons?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by keeper, Jul 4, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

For the last month i sometimes just get a bouncing icon in the dock when my MPB has been in sleep mode, its only on the odd occasion, i have the hold the power button and force a re-boot.

Anyone else seeing this issue??

cheers phil

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

it usually means an application needs attention

4. macrumors 65832

benlangdon

holding the power button because an icon is bouncing is not a great counter measure.

i think you can turn that off somewhere in the preferences.
    but ya as stated, bounce means it needs and ounce of your attention:eek:

5. macrumors 65816

Dustman

When a computer goes to sleep, the network card gets turned off so you lose connection to the internet. The bouncing icon after you wake your mac is probably from a program trying to get your attention to alert you that you lost connection at some point.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, its usually Safari & mail that i use first so that fits with the network, although usualy Safari just reports no network.

I'll try a non network app next time and see what happens.

I searched for info on bouncing icons and didn't find any info on actions to take.

I'm a new switcher from a PC and turning it off always worked for a PC :D

What's the best course of actions to take??

Many Thanks Phil

7. macrumors 6502

Well there's your problem!! Bouncing Icons in the PC world isn't good! ;)

Are you wireless? I have seen a post or 2 here or on macosxhints.com's forums talking about losing wireless until reboot because of sleep. I do not know the cause, but clicking on the icons will stop their bouncing, and then checking for connectivity. I would bet your seeing your wireless dropping, and either not coming back up, or just not coming back up soon enough.

8. macrumors 601

Usually a bouncing icon in the dock (apart from when you're launching the app) means the app needs your attention.

Just click on the bouncing icon and you may even see a little dialogue box telling you what the problem is.

No need to reboot your poor Mac everytime. :eek: