Bounty Hunter (real life)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Jul 19, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have watched Dog the bounty hunter a few times, i do not get it how someone who is not a cop can arrest me, can they physically restrain me and take me in? Where i live if someone laid a hand on me i can defend myself and i guess one of as is going to get a beating :).

I understand that these people have a debt but should this no be something the police business?

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

3. macrumors 601

mscriv

LINK

It is extremely dangerous in that most people who are willing to skip court don't want to be brought in. But, as they have signed their rights away in this matter, any action they take that violates the law (assault, etc.) would be a new charge as the bounty hunter is operating within the confines of the law.

4. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

Licensed bounty hunters have been given the legal authority by law enforcement and the judicial system to do what they do, within their bounds.

Technically they're not cops, but they've been authorized by the cops to bring you in. Deputized, in a kinda-sorta way.

5. macrumors 65816

I would have assumed that's not even possible? Can a person actually legally denounce the Consitution as not applying to them? Does not the Constitution override any other legal document, signed or unsigned?

The logical next step would be can they then also legally waive any other parts of the Constitution just by signing it away? Can a State therefore not waive the 2nd Amendment rights within their borders by simply signing a bail bond contract which says so, and hence ban guns?