Bout to buy a 20"...RAM anyone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sdashiki, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I see, as usual, the iMacs come with strange RAM configs for upgrading, 2x512.

I need 2GB, preferably 2.5GB, but thats an impossibility within cost constraints, as 2GB chips are quite a pretty penny. So 2GB is a good place to stay.

Meaning, Id need 2x1GB.

But, with the stock being 2x512, is it better to pay $175 for the Apple RAM upgrade to 2x1GB

or

Keep the 2x512, buy 2x1GB for about $225 and sell the 2x512 for at least $50!?

Anyone want to buy this 2x512?

2. Maynerd macrumors regular

You can get 2X1GB ram for about 170-180.

Personally I would probably just order it from Apple. You don't have to install it. You don't have to sell the other ram. You'll end up paying a little more maybe $50 going that route but it saves you some hassle.

3. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

4. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

And if anything ever goes wrong with the computer and it *might* be the RAM, you can just take the whole thing to the Apple store. It's all covered by the same warranty if you buy it through Apple.

5. BobP63 macrumors newbie

When I bought my MacBook I opted to buy it with minimum ram and upgrade it myself, later when I tried to sell the old ram on eBay I found you had to practically give it away. Based on that experience I ordered my iMac with 2GB from Apple, in the long run $175 was cheaper.

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Not sure if the iMac uses the same RAM as the Macbook/Pro but Newegg has G.Skill RAM 2x1GB for under $174 shipped. I've owned four and have had no issues (knock on wood). It also got great reviews by Mac owners too.

7. brandon6684 Guest

Luckily Apple's RAM upgrade prices have comedown in recent years and aren't quite the ripoff they were at one point in time, so it ends up being a convience vs. slightly lower price issue. I upgraded the RAM in my iMac myself since I used the RAM from it to upgrade my MacBook, so it actually came out much cheaper for me, but if I were to buy just the iMac, I'd probably just go with the Apple upgrade.

8. redmeister macrumors 6502

buy the ram third party and install it yourself

much cheaper usually and result is the same. gets my vote at least (is what i did with my macbook and no complaints whatsoever, and saved $$$)