bout to buy my 1st mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thahater, Jan 30, 2006.

1. thahater macrumors member

thahater

hey guys,
    im a newbe here on your site.i've been checking things out and i like what i see.i have a few questions to ask being that i'm about to buy my first and and make the jump from pc to macs.i'm gonna get the mac mini.now is this a good buy.or should i wait till thre shipped with the intel chip i'm ready to buy now but i dont wanna buy the macbook or the iMac just yet i wanna ease my way into it. ?2 is the macmini good for lite video editing.i plan on doing some but not much just a few home videos i wanna get off my dv cam.?does it come with front row and if not how can i get it on the mini? well thats all for now oh i'm gonna get the 699.99 mac mini maybe with a gig of ram.ok can someone get back at me thanks.

2. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Hi, welcome to MacRumors.

The Mac mini is an excellent starting machine for new switchers, such as yourself. I think you've made a good decision starting there. If I were you, I would hold off the purchase for the time being, seeing as there are some quite strong rumors floating around about Intel Mac mini's. They would be somewhat faster, more compatible in the future, and likely have a legal version of Front Row installed, with the Apple Remote.

If you need the Mac now, then buy it, its a great little machine. There are hacks for getting Front Row to work, but of questionable legality, and with no real remote (phones can be programmed to do it) - whats the point?

Good luck :)