Bowling for Columbine

Discussion in 'Community' started by kevin49093, Nov 11, 2002.

1. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Wow...
    I just saw the new Michael Moore film, Bowling for Columbine, last night. I can't say enought how great it was. If you have the chance, please go and see this movie!

"Are we a nation of gun nuts or are we just nuts?"

Has anyone else seen this yet?
    What do you think??

2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I've seen it and I have to agree. This was the best doccumentary I've seen in a long time. The interview with Marilyn Manson was one of my favorite sections of the film.

3. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Haven't seen it yet, but hope to soon. What message did you get out of it? I've heard that the film is very open ended, and really lets the viewer draw his/her own conclusions.

4. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

yeah.. i really liked the film a lot too..

it was in fact really open ended.. very well done..

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I still need to see BFC, I am looking forward to it. I am sure it is completely slanted, but so what, it is probably also funny as hell.

Speaking of Hell, i just saw a movie that would make an excellent double feature companion of BFC, "Hell House" a documentary about a church in Texas that has a haunted house that for the past 10 years has depicted people who "are going to hell" If you are a conservative Christian and see it, tell me what you think of it. My friends and I were trying to decide if it was a "fair documentary" or biased.

Some of my favorite parts:
    In the occult section, they want to paint a giant pentagram, but end up painting a star of david (doh!) Penta means five folks.

The nutty police officer that provides real guns with blanks for murder and suicide scenes. (along with gun safety training.)

Any scene that involves speaking in tongues (they are pentacostal)

The hostpital scene with the aids patient that is going to hell and the girl who takes ru486 and dies from it (yeah right)

and best of all, some kids expaining why they were offended by the whole thing.

It is pretty damn funny.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bowling is a great film, but please don't mistake it for a documentary -- it's an editorial from start to finish, and a powerful editorial at that. And it's not really about gun control -- Moore has a much larger agenda and a broader point to make about American culture. Watch BFC with this in mind and you'll get more out of it, I believe.

Also, don't expect to laugh all the way through it. No question, parts of the film are hilarious, but once Moore has you laughing, he proceeds to punch you in the stomach with his points, relentlessly. Overall BFC is probably the most disturbing movie I've seen in many years. You may literally lose sleep over it. I did.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

dang. now i can't wait to see it.... perhaps tonight. will check back in with my thoughts once i have... word

8. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

I found it very odd that Marilyn Manson had one of the most educated lines in the whole movie! When asked what he would have said to the Columbine kids, he responded "Nothing at all. I would listen because that is what no one else did."

I'm glad others here find it as moving (actually disturbingly moving) as I did. I checked out michael moore's website and forums and found alot of people who are very aginst the movie.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's a very polarizing movie -- you'll probably think it's either completely brilliant or a total piece of trash. Not much in-between, apparently. Check out the polling on this movie on the IMDB -- the vast majority of people rated it a 9 or 10 out of 10, but about 5% rated it a 1. Almost nobody scored it in the middle.

If you ask me, the small percentage of people who hated it are probably the same ones who run around in khaki fatigues on weekends drilling in their own little private armies, and sleep with loaded 45s under their pillows. They are the major stockholders in America's fear industry.

They probably also did not approve of Charleton Heston being given the opportunity to run himself through with his own sword. I realize he's elderly, and not in particularly good health, but he is well enough to stand up at NRA rallies, hold a rifle over his head and shout, "out of my cold, dead hands!" I won't spoil one of the movie's biggest payoffs for people who haven't seen it yet, but Mike Moore must have walked out of Heston's house astonished by what he said on camera. In the audience when I watched it, some people actually gasped audibly.

10. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I wonder if the IMDB people voting it a 1, had actually seen it. The only bad reviews I've heard so far have been from people who haven't and won't see it.
    I have to agree with the earlier post that the film editorializes a bit, but for the most part Michael Moore just sets them up and lets them talk. I'm glad this movie got made, and I'm recomending it to everyone, especially the conservatives. I don't think it will make them into liberals, but it's an interesting point of view to be sure.

Ironic side note, walking down the block to his car after watching the movie my friend got hit in the head by a soda cup thrown from a passing pickup. I couldn't hear exactly what was yelled, but I think it was "******" since the theater was in somewhat of a gay neighborhood. My friend's wife was pretty pissed off, especially since he just got out of the hospital from brain surgery the week before.

This was also the night Jam Master Jay was shot dead in Queens.

11. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

At least it was just a cup...

12. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

No kidding, If it was a bottle he'd probably be dead, not just sticky and insulted.
    It's just ironic that not five minutes after leaving the film, we see it in action. Charlton Heston may as well have shown up right after holding up a cup and screaming "from my cold dead hands!"

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Almost certainly not. I expect there's been a lot of rabble-rousing against the film by people in the gun organizations -- which is a bit odd, since the film isn't really about guns.

14. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

Of course he would have not heard anything about the cup throwing, and it would have been a scheduled rally stop anyways...

15. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

One of my coworkers saw the film last week and I was talking to him about it today, maybe all these political threads lately have prompted this, but I asked him if his views on guns had changed after seeing the movie, and surprisingly he admitted that they had. He used to side with the NRA and grew up with guns, and fealt that everyone else should too. Today he said he would be more inclined to vote against the NRA's initiatives and back gun controls.

16. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds cool.
    I could easily see this film making a big impact for those who would already side with Moore's opinions. It's nice that it might actually convince others (NRA supporters) as well!

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

in another note... i saw the movie "bloody sunday" tonight... it was quite disturbing

probably the most disturbing "war" type movies. it was documentary style (though heavily slanted from the irish perspective of things)... anyways, i'm wondering how it will compare to bowling for columbine in terms of disturbingness.. i hope to see the latter this weekend.

i'd recommend this movie to all though. assuming you live close enough to a major city to find it anywhere...

18. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

There was a really good German film out about a month or so ago, Das Experiment. It was a film loosely based on what would happen if the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment hadn't been shut down in five days, but was allowed to go for another day or two.
    Very interesting look into the human condition. I know it's out on DVD in Europe, so it should be making it's way here in a month or so. Good film, can't recommend it enough.

19. encephalon macrumors member

I saw 'Bowling' on Saturday night and it is a very well done film.

I do have to agree that the focus and message is not on gun control, but fear in our society. If you remember, he uses Canada as an example for how a country with a high gun-to-household ratio can exist with a very low homicide rate. What the film trys to discover is what makes the US 'special'. Why do we have over 11,000 homicide's per year, and other countries have much less than 100 per year?

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot and I encourage everyone to see it and talk about it.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Quite right. I suppose I could be a bit cynical about this and suggest that Moore knew that a film about gun control would be easily dismissed, so he took on the U.S. fear industry instead. Either way, his instinct was right -- guns are more a symptom then they are the disease.

Again, I might be tipping too much to those who haven't seen this movie yet, but it was especially revealing when Moore asked Heston about whether he kept loaded guns in his house, and whether he'd ever had cause to use one in self-defense. At some point we Americans have to admit that we're building ourselves into prisons of fear, both in our homes and in our heads. Heston was certainly too stubborn to acknowledge this obvious fact.

Our politicians won't admit it, either. In fact they return to office more readily by fanning the flames of fear then they do by suggesting ways out of this dilemma. If it took an angry polemic by Michael Moore to drag this issue out into the daylight, then so be it. More power to him, and to people like him. At least somebody has the courage to actually care.

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ok so i saw it... a few thoughts:

great stuff. very interesting and powerful. the footage from the columbine cameras in the school was very disturbing indeed.

i agree that marilyn manson's interview was one of the high points... he was one of the most thoughtful and well spoken of the folks interviewed...

another great part was with the nichols' brother... talking about whether people should be allowed to have nuclear weapons for defense and he said "no, gotta have some restrictions, some folks are whackos" or something... haha. and the whole time this guy's just totally nuts himself... ahh

so the real question i have is... how do people feel who don't agree with michael moore's politics in general? i am closer to a green than anything else, and that's who moore supported (nader) and such. but how about joe conservative or even moderate? would they even see the movie?

is this movie playing (or did it play) in lesser cities? i'm in nyc so everything that will play anywhere, will play here basically. but did this movie show in utah? or nebraska? or even pennsylvania? if not, then it's not reaching the people it "needs" to reach most... ie, the non urban liberals...

just some thoughts... definitely a great look at things...

22. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Check out www.bowlingforcolumbine.com

There are some serious pro gun people on there flaming away. I'm sure some of them have actually seen it.
    I think the movie will get wider viewing when it hits HBO, DVD, and VHS rental. It's a lot easier for a conservative or a moderate, or anyone to stumble upon it while flipping channels or to see it when there is less effort or commitment necessary.