Boxee on 2010 AppleTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pfjellman, Nov 5, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

pfjellman

I looked around and couldn't find anything about this, but maybe I'm blind. Does anyone know anything about Boxee running on the new AppleTV? I have one of the first 40GB AppleTVs and love it, but want to move it into the bedroom and get a new AppleTV for the living room.

I run a media center off of my Mac Pro and 90% or more of my collection is in avi. Boxee handles this beautifully - just want to confirm I'll be able to do the same thing on the new AppleTV.

Thanks!

2. macrumors P6

Intell

The new Apple TV (2010) cannot run Boxee at this time. It may never run Boxee as it would require a lot of porting from Intell to ARM.

3. macrumors regular

pfjellman

that's what i was afraid of. bummer. anyone who has a new appletv, how are you watching your existing (non-iTunes) media collections with it?

4. macrumors 6502

They are not.. You can't watch anything but Apple formatted videos. This is why I waited and purchased two Boxee Boxes next week! Man that thing is SEXY and it upscales all content to 1080p!

5. macrumors 6502a

optophobia

6. macrumors regular

pfjellman

Hm, okay. But does that mean I have to run a "media server" app on my Mac Pro? I'd much rather just have a fileshare setup and play the media on the AppleTV, don't really wanna have to play it on the computer and have it "stream" the video to AppleTV.

7. macrumors regular

You want the boxee box..

I've also considered the ATV, but for 100$ more, the boxee box seems to give so much more value. At least for anyone that wants more than just itunes or netflix.