Boxee Remote for iPhone Now Available

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Boxee has announced the availability of boxee remote [App Store, Free], an application for the iPhone and iPod touch that connects via Wi-Fi to act as a remote for the Boxee media center software.

The application provides two different modes for navigation, a traditional "Buttons Mode" and a "Gesture Mode" in which the user touches the Boxee logo and drags it around the screen in order to navigate.

The remote also takes advantage of the iPhone's keyboard for inputting text.

While Boxee acknowledges that this is only a basic application for now, they do have plans to expand the functionality of it based on user feedback.

Article Link: Boxee Remote for iPhone Now Available

2. Guest

Sky Blue

Good stuff! Was hoping they would come out with one. I use Boxee a lot on my Apple TV.

3. macrumors regular

Awesome. Boxee is the shizzle!

4. macrumors 6502a

Me too, Boxee on appleTV is great. The latest version even brought back Hulu (called Hulu feeds?) but it still needs to have the bugs worked out. Load times are slow and sometime unresponsive. But hey, I was able to watch BSG, so not all bad. Such is life on the bleeding edge of internet-based, near-HD content delivery.

I guess the next big Boxee release is March 24. The remote is a nice feature.

5. macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Boy was this ever a long time coming!

6. macrumors member

Does this app work with boxee on apple tv, or is it just for boxee on your mac?

7. macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

It should work with all verisions.

8. macrumors 6502

Super interface

This interface is super because it's versatile. The truth is that there are many who love using buttons, and there are many who love gestures. To give people the choice is, to me, a no brainer (as long as you have the resources to program for both). I really wish apple would pay attention to this and give users a little choice in how to interact with the native iPhone/iPod touch apps. For example, in the Music/iTunes app, it'd be great to be able to swipe left/right to switch songs and double-tap to play/pause and so on, while retaining the present buttons. I know there are apps that can assist in this (at least there were in the Installer when I jailbroke before 2.0), but that's not what I'm looking for, for several seemingly obvoius reasons.

9. macrumors member

need video! can some1 post a video of this app working and showing off its functions

10. macrumors 6502

There is a video of it being used on the page that is linked to in the news item.

11. macrumors member

oops, thanx

12. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

I used this today on my :apple:TV. This remote makes Boxee that more useful.

13. macrumors newbie

I am SHOCKED!!!!! Who would have thought Apple would approve this? This is good but Tweetie 1.3 was not?

Go figure... :rolleyes:

14. macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

excuse me but what is boxee? :eek::confused:

Nevermind I googled it. I got it. So boxee works good?

15. macrumors 6502

boxee rox your box.