Boxing Legend Max Schmeling Passes Away

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Punani, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Reading his story seems to almost invoke a sort of absurd David verses Goliath story, where the Goliath does not like he position he's been put in. Seriously though, this is just further proof of the hypocrisy of Nazi policies, championing a man who hated...desired to have nothing to do with them. I wonder if Joe Louis would have not been so vicious during their rematch had he known of Schmeling's personal opinion on Nazi Germany...

Story Link
  2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    I heard about this, too, on the obit that ABC News gave him. What a classy guy.

Rest in peace, Max.
  3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    He was (and is) a terribly misunderstood person; history has not at all given him a fair shake. God forbid I'm ever faced with the tough choices he had to make during his life. I think as time passes his true story will eventually become appreciated.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    My prayers go out to his family and friends. May Max rest in peace. From reading his biography, he sounded like a very decent man. :(
  5. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Joe and Max movie

The cable channel STARZ! made a movie about his life (and Joe's). Its pretty interesting (although definately not an oscar winning movie). According to the movie, they became pretty good friends. Max was pretty much strong armed into being a Nazi propaganda machine. If you want to check it out, I think you can rent it now, instead of seeing it on cable. Its called "Joe and Max".