Boy, 11, Banned from Driving...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hob, Sep 28, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

BBC News

This made me chuckle, especially:

2. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

How do you even reach the pedals and see where you're going when you are eleven?

"Officers noticed the driver was "very short" and when they signalled for the car to stop it crossed over into the other lane just missing a lamppost."

Ahh..maybe you don't. :eek:

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So he can drive a year from now? When he is 12? And I thought 15 was a young age to drive.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Maybe it means he can't drive for 1 year starting when he reachers the legal age?

5. iGav macrumors G3

Knowing English Law... it's probably exactly as it sounds. :rolleyes:

No wonder this country's f***ed... I honestly believe there needs to be some sort of IQ test before people are allowed to have kids.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

C'mon folks. The kid could very well have not known any better. Without knowing that specific disability they're referring to, it's hard to tell.

7. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

When something as potentially dangerous as a car is involved, the child, even if having learning difficulties should be punished.

This is as bad as someone waving a gun at people.

He could well have killed people.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

He was very smart to plead guilty. Just hope that he can stay out of trouble. Also hope that he can get some help with his leaning disabilities. Although he did very well acquiring the BMW.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

10. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Pu$$y. If kids are this defective they should be euthanized.

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

A bit harsh ... the punishment should fit the crime. Make him a 24/7 mini cab driver in central London. No toilet breaks or food stops. Then when he breaks, ban him from driving until he's thirty.

12. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

You can do it. Growing up on a farm I started driving very early (first time at age 8, I think) and by 11-12 I was regularly (not everyday, but often enough) driving my dad's pickup. Not sure how young I was at the time but I do remember having to drive while standing so that I could reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel. Ah, memories. Those were good times.

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

He's been charged with driving dangerously and without due care and attention... I'd say he'd make perfect cabbie material. :p

14. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

In the UK it's so difficult to drive. Firstly, most cars here are geared and most people in the UK learn on a geared car.

Each driving lesson costs about £17 or $30-32 dollars. The average number of lessons needed is around 30-40. So your talking like $1200.

In America is driving not included with high school?, and you learn on an automatic car? Do you also just go out a few times then sit your test? You are sooo lucky!

Anyways, how could this boy, 11, work a geared car? It would be too easy to stall, and how could he put the clutch down to change gear, and how does he know to bring the clutch up slowly or the car will stall lol?

Maybe 11 year olds are just better than driving than me, (after around 30 lessons - and I still can't do a reverse park :p).

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I think it's true that a lot of U.S. teenagers are taught how to drive by their parents, so it's "free".

Yes, some public high schools offer driver education classes. Usually it's an elective and not a required course, though.

I actually learned to drive a stick shift (i.e. manual transmission) first, since both parents' cars were manual transmission.

In most states you can get what's called a "learners permit" around age fifteen. I think that you have to take a written test before you can get this (although my memory's a little fuzzy on that point). With a learners permit, you're allowed to drive as long as there's another licensed driver (e.g. a parent) in the car with you. Then, at age sixteen, you typically take both a written test and a driving test (administered by employees of the Department of Transportation). If you pass both tests, you get your driver license, then go pick up your friends and cruise the mall to celebrate.

Sometimes, the person administering your driving test (in the U.S.) will require you to parallel park (which is what I think you're referring to). I don't remember having to do this for my driving test, and that's probably a good thing. ;)

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Wow.

Here in Ontario, when you turn 16 you become eligible for the written test. Once you get that, you get your "G1" license which is a learner's permit - you can drive with a licensed driver beside you. No freeway driving allowed, though. Then you have to wait a minimum of one year (8 months, if you take a government-approved driving course either through high school or a specialized driving school) before you can do your first road test. You'll most likely be required to parallel park. When you pass your first road test, you get your "G2" license which basically gives you full driving privileges except you must have ZERO blood alcohol at all times. A year after your G2, you can take your second road test which gives you your full, permanent, "G" license. You have 5 years to complete the process or you have to start over.

It's called graduated licensing.

17. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

In the UK, at age 16 you can apply for your provisional license which enables you to drive a moped with "L" plates on. Three months before your 17th birthday you can start learning to drive. When you turn 17 you can sit the theory test which you need to go out on the practical test with the examiner.

Usually you have to do 2 or 3 maneuvers and the standard emergency stop but which maneuvers you get is up to the examiner so you learn them all. I think now you also have a "show and tell" type thing were you have to show the examiner how to check for tyre wear and tear, where you put the engine oil and how to check the hand brake for weakness etc.

It's really expensive learning to drive. It's mostly people around that 17- 18 age getting the tuition. How the pay for it, I dunno.

Then actually getting insured at that age is a joke! :rolleyes:

18. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i'd just like to take this opportunity to say y'all have the coolest names for crimes :p he'd prolly get "reckless driving" over here...well, that and "driving without a license"

19. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Eh.... since he dont have a license how can he have penality point....??
    And why driving without a license "cost" less?!? kind of crazy... damn English ;)

20. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

How I pay for it: Bank of Scotland offers me an interest free overdraft for 4-5 years because I'm a student :).

21. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

In case anyone is wondering, the manovers you have to learn in the UK which could come up in your test are:

Reverse left around a corner
    Turn in the road (3 point turn, although name was changed because you don't have to do it in 3 swift moves).
    Reverse Park (parallel park)
    and emergency stop (brake down, followed by clutch, apply hand break, go into first gear, bring car to the bite, and check blind spots before moving off again).

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

So it's worse that he had no insurance, than no license? :eek:

As for licensing in the U.S., many states now have provisional licenses when you first get one. Generally it restricts time of day (except for work or emergency), and passengers (no one under 18, unless someone over 18 is in the passenger seat etc.).

23. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

There have been several cases like this recently in the UK where a minor has faced a court for underaged driving. The court gives them a 1 or 2 year driving ban :confused:

THEY AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

What good is a driving ban? The ban applies there and then. Why does it not apply from when they ARE 17 ( legal driving age in the UK ).

This is just astonishing and really, retarded.

24. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

LOL. I learned to drive in the UK, after the theory tests came in.

I now live in Canada. The UK driving test system is really quite tame compared to Canada. It also costs quite a lot of money too..
    You have to wait several years until you get a full driving license. There are several stages of driving license, each with restrictions. To get your full driving license you have to have highway ( motorway ) driving experience ( for a period of time ), something the UK sadly lacks. You can't driving on the highway until you get your G2 license ( IIRC ).

I would hate to go through the Canadian system. Fortunately, I have a Canadian full driving license - I handed in my UK license and they gave me a Canadian driving licence! :->

25. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Sounds similar to ours, except for the "reverse left around a corner". I suppose that one's different since you people insist on driving on the wrong side of the road. ;)

We don't do an emergency stop (or at least I didn't on my test). I think I had to park on a hill and demonstrate that I knew which direction the tires should point; and then pull out and start back up the hill (i.e. without rolling backwards in the process).