Boy chokes on popcorn

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, Aug 17, 2004.

1. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd just read that when I popped over here and saw this thread. Truly tragic. As the father of a three-year-old, it especially hit home.

3. Koree macrumors 6502

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

As another parent, it certainly does hit home. :(

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's just so sad....but my question is what was a 3 year old doing watching Alien vs. Predator? Come on, that's just not right! :(

I'm surprised no one tried a trachiotomy the kid...I remember something about a bic pen and a pen knife......

D

6. Koree macrumors 6502

Just started wondering that too... Maybe the popcorn was in way to deep... The more i think of this the sadder i get... :(

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

choking is a pretty scary thing. i've remembered thorwing up before and it getting stuck in my throat and i couldn't breathe at all, scared me real bad at the time, but easily fixed.

iJon

8. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    not many people are skilled enough to do a tracheotomy, and i doubt many parents could stomach the thought of plunging a pen into their childs throat

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When I read the title of this thread, I came in here thinking about making a cheap George Bush joke, but now I'm feeling quite sad.

Its funny when it happens to the leader of the free world, but not to someone so young. :(

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a very sad situation. We will just have to wait on the results of the autopsy to see what actually happened. It is always easy to second guess what should have been done. I'm confident that the EMT's and ER physician did everything possible to save the child.

My payers go out to the family and friends. It's awful to witness something like that with your own child. He is at peace now.

11. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Somebody has to say it. Who the hell feeds popcorn to a 3 year old anyway?
    Too bad.

12. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Mine eats popcorn all of the time.

So sad. I wonder if they tried mouth to mouth.

13. Sneeper macrumors regular

Sneeper

When I was watching Bourne Supremacy, a father had their 3 year old in the front seat of the theatre with him. I'm positive the kid had no idea what was going on. That movie was nothing but violence. I guess people don't feel they need to hire baby-sitters anymore.

14. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I am saddend by this as well as I have a three year old. I have read where popcorn is one of the biggest choking hazards and only feed it to my child on occasion where I am watching him closely.

I agree that the movie is in no way for a three year old and would have tragically traumatized that child.

If the press wrote it correctly, the father did the wrong thing by reaching in the child's mouth to take out the popcorn. You are never to do this unless you can see the food/item and then you have to be careful to not push it in further which may be what happened. I also know though that in the moment it is very easy to forget this and start digging in the childs mouth for whatever it is. I have done this on accident and luckily I either remember, or the child pulls away and spits out whatever it is the body took care of rejecting by the gag reflex/cough.

The ONLY way I can deal with this type of thing is to know that the child is in a better place. When there is a circumstance where extremelly poor judgement is made by the parents with regard to the child's upbringing (and there is no logical excuse as to why- ie. predator movie) I can only take a bit of comfort knowing the child is being cared for better wher s/he is right now based on what we know. (And before anyone reams me about not knowing the whole story, if the child was at that movie those parents need help with their parenting! Pretty simple on that one. Other situations can be questionable and judgement can play a part obviously.)

That being said, I still feel extremly sad for the parents who have to deal with the loss- I can't even imagine this type of loss so many parents have to deal with in this world. :(

15. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

It's similar to all of those marshmellow incidents, but this is really sad. I have a nephew at four, and I couldn't imagine something like this happening to him. (Hey, there's no sad smilie.)
    –Chase

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just thought I'd add my comments to the mix as well - this is just so tragic and senseless. You wonder why things like have to happen, yet they do on a daily basis. But I agree with Mr. Anderson - not to sound insensitive, but what the hell is a 3-year old doing at a movie like AvP? I realize this incident could have happened at Shrek 2 just as easily as it happened here, but still, I question some parenting tactics these days. Anyway, this is neither here nor there, the main issue is the loss of such a young life - truly tragic. :(