"Boy 'pregnant' with twin brother"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MrMacMan, May 3, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Don't I repeat don't read if you don't like reading sick stories, that are true.
    If you are offended by a dead (non-aborted) fetus.
    etc, small children, people who are pregnant, and all others, this is a warning, be wise if you think you shouldn't read it.

Here

2. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yeah, I read that a couple days ago. Pretty messed up.

3. Sherman macrumors regular

I'm strangely reminded of conjoined fetus lady from south park...

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

uh, yeah that lady from south park...pretty sick though

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

not to hijack another thread with stephen king talk, but "the dark half".

happens more than you'd like to think-- strangely often in the head/neck area. Generally they find hair and nails, i think it's more rare to find actual bones...

creeped me out at first, but ... okay, it still creeps me out...

pnw

6. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Ah, the miracle of life. I think this should show more than anything that all existence is flawed. I'm not trying to knock our existence, but I do see it as a cosmic accident.

Dan

7. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

I just love a good story about people having babies. One day I will have a baby.

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    damn, that's kind of incredible. i wouldn't call it sick in any way though mate :)

9. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

10. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Man that reminds of a story I saw on "Ripley's Believe it or Not". It was a while ago but a guy in China was born with his siamese twin brother actually fused to the back of his head. There wasn't exactly a head but there was a mouth with some teeth, formations of a nose and some hair on a bulbous growth sticking out of his neck. They showed pre-op pictures of him and it was truly shocking. After surgery they said his outlook was good. It was kind of horrifying to how wrong things can go in the womb.
    Man, let's not even go into the hermaphrodite cases. I've seen pictures... ahg.... forget it. Don't wanna remember.

11. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

i remember in my mamalian genetics class reading that during embryo development in many animals the blastula will begin to "form" as twins but do to lack of chemical signals or one of a dozen other reasons, the cells move back together and basically, before they move much past being a giant ball of cells, one "twin" reabsorbs the other "twin." i suppose this is what happens if the process occurs too late and maybe the absorbed twin keeps trying to develop and stuff....

still sounds damn freaky. :p

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A trully amazing story, I'm happy that the boy is OK. Just goes to show again the real life is stranger than fiction! ;)

13. MontanaMacster macrumors regular

fiji mermaid

anyone remember that X files episode.

14. rog macrumors 6502

Did the fetus use the 970? How about on the go playlists?

15. Anne macrumors member

I wonder if they kept it? That would be the neatest show and tell item *ever*! Okay, the creepiest too.

Perhaps they'll donate it to the Mutter Museum?

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that place is odd... not as gross as i was hoping though. ;)

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

They would have sent it to pathology and then usually they save them for further study, if it's medically significant might go to a medical school!

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I read about that... somewhere. Pretty wierd.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Connecticuit Supreme Court rules that a fetus is a body part, just like teeth or skin. They gave something to both sides of the abortion issue. The court upheld the conviction of a man for giving a drug to get his girfriend, so that she would misscarry!

"In other words, the fetus may both be a part of its mother as well as its own individual being," Sullivan wrote.

Connecticut high court says fetus is body part

Angering both sides of the abortion debate, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that a fetus is a body part, akin to teeth, skin and hair that are eventually shed.

The ruling unanimously upheld the conviction of a man who tried to induce a miscarriage by slipping his girlfriend labor-inducing drugs. Edwin Sandoval argued he could not be charged with attempting to commit aggravated assault because the fetus was the target, not the mother.

Though the court held that the 5-week-old fetus was part of the woman's body, Chief Justice William J. Sullivan issued a separate concurring opinion saying a fetus might have "its own independent existence."

"In other words, the fetus may both be a part of its mother as well as its own individual being," Sullivan wrote.

Anti-abortion groups applauded the court's protection of the fetus, but criticized the identification of a fetus as a body part.

"It could have had a different blood type, and certainly it had different DNA," said Bill O'Brien, vice president of the Connecticut Right to Life Corp.

Sullivan's opinion, which declared that a fetus may be entitled to legal protection, drew criticism from abortion rights groups.

"Any time I hear about giving rights to fetuses, I get concerned," said Elaine Werner, executive director of the Connecticut chapter of the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League. "That's the slippery slope to eroding Roe vs. Wade."

Sandoval was sentenced in 2001 to 12 years in prison for using ulcer medication in an attempt to induce a miscarriage. The woman later gave birth to a healthy son.

Gov. John G. Rowland is expected to sign a bill increasing the penalties for someone convicted of assaulting a pregnant woman and causing her to lose the fetus. The assault would be punishable by 10 to 25 years in prison.

Defense attorney Paula Waite said if the fetus is its own life form, the state's abortion laws are in question. If the fetus is a body part, laws increasing the penalty for assaulting a pregnant woman could be jeopardized.

Another defense attorney promised to appeal.

05/06/2003 23:43

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior

20. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Connecticut sucks a certain male donkey appendage.

21. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

a rather odd story indeed. i wonder how the boy feels? and what they will do with it. they will probably study it, but after that, then what? does the famly keep it?

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

This isn't the first story of this type I've heard about. The last one I saw the guy was much older and his twin was a fully developed fetus of 3 months or something. I don't remember if they removed it or not.

23. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

that's kinda wierd. i don't mean that in a mean way, but you know what i mean.

by the way, i like your new avatar:)