Boy Punished for Talking About Gay Mom

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

This type of thing makes me feel sick, even if it isn't exactly my own city.

Are we this unevolved as a society in the 21st Century?! :rolleyes:

story here

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this woman (teacher) should be ordered never to speak of her own parents again, because it's obscene. wonder how she'd like it.

i hope she gets sued, fired, and sued again. to do this to a child, my god.

pnw

3. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    You are not allowed to love your mommy any more. Maybe if you find a normal mommy later you can talk about her.
    For God's sake, this is ridiculous! This woman is exactly the kind of teacher I thought didn't exist any more. I vaguely remember them from my early elementary years.

4. radhak macrumors regular

so kafkaesque : does not seem real, more like caricatures in a weird comic strip.

the school seems to be full of such, as the mom says, "...assistant principal called and told me my son had said a word so bad that he didn't want to repeat it over the phone".

the damage to the child could be really long-term - his family a 'dirty word'?

hope the school and the teacher(s) can be sued for this life and into the next.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

eh, things like this are actually good. No one's going to get hurt here, but the publicity of all the stupidity will get more people to think. So aside from all the homophobes who might have issues with this, the backlash from the event will only continue to increase peoples acceptation of the situation.

D

6. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It may cause a positive backlash, but it's still a sad state of affairs.

I doubt the child will be damaged by this, as I'm quite certain these situations will occasionally come up for him in his life.

I just think it's poor form for a school to actually punish the child for using the term "gay" when speaking of his parents.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

its just a knee jerk reaction to hearing a 'bad' word. Given the context for the kid, it shouldn't have been a big deal. Over zealous people trying to be PC just making fools of themselves....blah! :rolleyes:

D

8. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yup...

similar to the folks who wanna change the "master/slave" terms for hard drives...

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that one is a joke too....to be personally offended by that you're not living in reality. And human history is littered with slavery, its not something that was just in America.....:rolleyes: morons

Now if a Greek got upset about the master/slave issue and went to Rome to complain, well, that would make my day....:D

*in case of the Roman Empire, pretty much anyone could be a slave, I'm not trying to single out anyone, just making a point - I think slavery is bad - but there's nothing wrong with the word.*

D

10. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

[edit] ignorance is not worth getting upset about [/edit]

11. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Tempting to think that this happened because it's Louisiana but this kinda stupidity is right next door right?
    daniel

12. dcoltonbrown macrumors member

You know what...it goes both ways. Kids shouldn't go running around in school calling people gay NOR should someones gay lifestyle be flaunted and considered normal in a classroom...especially in grade school.

13. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Do you have a family with two heterosexual parents? Have you ever in your life mentioned Mom & Dad? Were you "FLAUNTING" there heterosexual lifestyle? Sorry, but just because some of us may not agree with it doesn't mean theat they should hide it or be ashamed of it. And, NORMAL? My county is 93% white. My insurance agent is Asain. Should he not flaunt his heritage and make being Asian seem normal?

If you fell that homosexuality is wrong, I understand and I completely defend your right to raise YOUR kids how you wish, and teach them what you want in YOUR home. (As long as you aren't teaching them to attack those with whom you disagree.) But, nobody should have to hide anything just because the majority in the area are against it. And, no, I don't mean pedophiles. I am speaking of actions and lifestyles that affect nobody but the person living it.

14. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

What is "normal"?

Do you mean white suburban heterosexual middle class America? Look around you. We live in a DIVERSE world.

The type of mentality that homosexuals are somehow "abnormal" or "heathens" and should be marginalized or swept under the rug is scarily similar to post-slavery segregation in the U.S. and the Aryan movement in Hitler's Germany. Scary, dangerous mentality.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The PC police just happen to be in overdrive. Personally I would like to see that word gay be used according to its dictionary meaning, happy. It was wrong for the teacher to call it a bad word.

A thought on the master/slave relationship. Majority of us are a slave if we are in debt.

16. dcoltonbrown macrumors member

Your not worth the time if you are comparing Asians with homosexuals.

No one is "sweeping" anyone under the rug. I don;t want my childfren to be taught that homosexuality is acceptable. I don't want my children to be exposed to sexual perversion. I don't want my kids to CHOOSE to be gay because it is socially acceptable, neat or fashionable. AND, you are right, we live in a diverse world...that is great...but I don't include people who choose to be different in that equation. That is like saying that we HAVE to accept reconstruction era mentailties and the Aryan movement because who are we to say that something is right or wrong! The type of mentality that anyone that disagrees with you is a racist is a scary, dangerous mentality!

17. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

You're not worth the time if you can't use word forms correctly. Ok, so not really.

but whats wrong with using a minority in one area to compare it to the treatment of a minority in another area? Regardless of peoples backgrounds, ethnic/personal attributes, etc., we are all entitled to live our lives as we see fit as long it doesnt directly harm another. These women have a right to be lesbians (seen Lawrence?) and they have the right to have children, adopted or otherwise. Its not the place for the schools or a teacher to judge this child or his parents for their lifestyle. It just that simple.

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Normal (adjective) a form or state regarded as the norm. Can be described as the perception of the average social state of behavior; which once applied to an individual, group or society, inadequately describes the nuances contained within. :)

I don't think a lawsuit would do anybody any good. How about the teacher, and priciple apologize and learn that the term "gay" can be used for things other than insults.

19. dcoltonbrown macrumors member

It's not that simple. How can you compare the plight of a black to the plight of a homosexual? How can you compare lynchings, murders and slavery because of the way someone was born...that cannot be hidden or attributes that can't be placed in a closet? How can you compare the Japanese internement camps to the sugar coated life a gay person experiences in comparison? No...you can't compare the gay lifestyle to a race or even a religion. And you certainly can't compare a hideable choice to an obvious inborn trait that can never be hidden (unless you are Michael Jackson of course).

20. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

You Americans are sooo ulta conservative. Then again Australia is the complete opposite where no one really cares what, when or to whome you say it to. Watch 'South Park' that takes the piss out of your ultra conservative nature.

21. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

wow, you think homosexuality is a choice? hmm, you must be some english major working at KFC. tried reading scientific research ever? Most of it now supports the genetic basis for homosexuality.

beyond that, even if it is a choice and is "hideable" the fact that you would advocate a person carry out there life in the dark alleys hiding who they are, a fundamental part of their person, from their family, loved ones, and the world just screams of ignorance and the type of callus thought thats whats wrong with our country today.

according to your "theory" (and i use the word very loosely) a black person in the 40s should have bleached their skin or used concealing makeup had they been available because hiding who they were was simpler than the conflict. Good idea.

22. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You're not talking to an intelligent person, nor someone that is affected by logic. unfortunately, the best thing to do is save your breath. people that run around yelling about PERVERSIONS and the CHOICE to be gay and yadda yadda, these people have some problems. Fortunately they're usually amusing, as Jeff Foxworthy proved in the mid 90s.

If you go into a forum running your mouth about how a kid should not be able to talk about his parents in school, you might be a redneck.

pnw

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ok first you believe being gay is a choice. Did you choose to be hetero? If so when did you make up your mind? I bet you knew deep down that you were hetero all the time, could homosexuals not know deep down too?

If you don't include people who choose to be different, then what good is freedom? Do you want everybody to drive the car you drive, drink the same beverage, fall in love with the same woman?

There may be some implied right or wrong here, but I CHOOSE to take the view that people can do anything that doesn't harm me or other people. What goes on between consenting adults is fine as long as no permanent harm is done to either of them. I may think it's not right... but I wouldn't call it wrong.

I try not to stereotype any person. But I find anyone who tries to force an opinion on me, rather than give me reasons and arguments, has a very dangerous mentality. Especially ones who can't justify their own positions.

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Each instance has its own history and reasons for existence. Are there differences? Absolutely. They are all examples of bigotry. If you think the lives of gay people are "sugar coated" then you should learn more of the reality of antigay violence in our society. Read about the death of Matthew Shepard and then tell me his life and death was easy. That is not an isolated incident. Such assaults take place far to frequently. Does it mean it is the same as the horrors of slavery? Of course not, but simple minded prejudice exist towards many people and it has to be fought against all.

It doesn't matter if being gay or straight is genetic or the result of the specific history of an individual's experiences that make someone look to a particular gender for their intimate relationships. Whatever the reason we (gay and straight) love the people we do, we should have the right to do so as adults without the impact of the narrow-minded bigotry of others.

25. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Dcolton, don't get all upset about homosexuals being compared to asians. Heck, they weren't even being compared; it was the situation of them being a minority.

Yeah, gay people have really sugar-coated lives. I think you're late to your shift at Mcdonald's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.