Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
Reading this I realised that somewhere deep inside of me I had always kind of hoped that M*****F****R was just a phrase and that things like this didn't happen. I second the motion for a barf emoticon.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I really must stop reading the Current Events forum when I'm eating lunch. :(

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2004
I hate the south

it happened in Alabama, in a trailer, when his mom was passed out drunk on the couch.....God I hate the south....

danidoll521

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
You're not understanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that what the kid did was right. IT'S NOT RIGHT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. But the family is messed up enough already since the mother is a drunk. Don't think that I'm saying that the kid should be accquited of what he did - he shouldn't. He committed a terrible crime. But the family was already ****ed up enough before this happened.

I agree...what the kid did was terrible and inexcusable. He should not be accquited, however, he should not be exectued as many here seem to advocate. As a society we reserve the punishment of death for the most severe crimes. As horrible as raping anyone is, let alone your own mother, it is not as serious as murder and therefore does not warrant the punishment of death or torture. The kid is clearly mentally unstable and obviously needs a lot of help...as a society we need to make sure that he gets that help.

danidoll521

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
it happened in Alabama, in a trailer, when his mom was passed out drunk on the couch.....God I hate the south....

I just want to say that not all of the south is like this area of Alabama...there are even some very nice places in Alabama. Don't hate on the south just because of some sick kid. This could have happened anywhere.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I agree...what the kid did was terrible and inexcusable. He should not be accquited, however, he should not be exectued as many here seem to advocate. As a society we reserve the punishment of death for the most severe crimes. As horrible as raping anyone is, let alone your own mother, it is not as serious as murder and therefore does not warrant the punishment of death or torture. The kid is clearly mentally unstable and obviously needs a lot of help...as a society we need to make sure that he gets that help.
As much as you might want to blame society for this rape, he's 19 FFS. Don't you think he's a little past 'help'?

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I just want to say that not all of the south is like this area of Alabama...there are even some very nice places in Alabama. Don't hate on the south just because of some sick kid. This could have happened anywhere.

i second that motion. The south is not full of perverts. They are all over.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
it's not right to harm other people, however, i don't think people who say it's disgusting and that he should be murdered are right either. i think the enlightened way to see it as the result of some very complicated circumstances. usually what we see as the final act that makes it to the headlines is the most sensational symptom. and it's easy to get mad at a symptom. i hope all three of them find what they need.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Your username suggests one possibility.

I never thought of my user name that way. But I now see very easily how it would be read to mean someone who thrashes another with a birch. I guess that's what you saw in it? On message boards I usually use the name swingerofbirches, an allusion to Robert Frost's "Birches."

I don't remember why I truncated the name here, maybe there was a character limit?

But let me say that I unequivocally oppose nonconsensual hitting of any form.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I never thought of my user name that way. But I now see very easily how it would be read to mean someone who thrashes another with a birch. I guess that's what you saw in it? On message boards I usually use the name swingerofbirches, an allusion to Robert Frost's "Birches."

I don't remember why I truncated the name here, maybe there was a character limit?

But let me say that I unequivocally oppose nonconsensual hitting of any form.
And that sure is a good thing, but when you read about things like the episode in question the idea of physical justice doesn't seem so unpalatable (though I personally am not advocating the death penalty by any means). Whether physical punishment against a physical crime is acceptable is up to the individual conscience. Perhaps we should ask ourselves the question, 'What if it was our daughter?' to find out where we really stand. I know where I stand on that.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I don't - my feeling is that if someone can be productive (murderer, rapist or whatever) then why kill them?

Many murders have gone on to lead good lives after prison (if they were properly rehabilitated).
As I said above, I'm not advocating the death penalty either. I'm just saying the softly-softly help-them-against-society's-wrongs approach is probably like trying to talk a fire into extinguishing itself. IMO.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I didn't say that that the boy is right or that the rape was fine - because it's not - but if the family is so ****ed up that the mother passes out on the couch from drinking, then the family is terrible as it is.

How do you know that the family is ***ed up? Perhaps only the son is the only demented S.O.B. and needs to die buried alive next to an anthill with only his head sticking out covered with honey.

The mother could have been out with her friends drinking and clubbing after a long day at her lucrative career then passed out on the couch watching TV after a fun night, just because she was passed out does not mean they are trailer trash. That the mother passed out after pounding a handle of Jim Bean while watching a Jerry Springer marathon.

Since the article does not indicate the families socio-economic standing there is no justifiable bases for labeling the family as terrible. Perhaps the other son is captain of his schools football team and class valedictorian. While the mother runs her own law firm. Only one family member committed an act that deserves ridicule, disgust and severe punishment without a chance for absolution nor leniency.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Since the article does not indicate the families socio-economic standing there is no justifiable bases for labeling the family as terrible.
Such an unstinting belief in human nature in accepting the possibility that this is in fact a middle-class cucumber-sandwiches-with-the-vicar-after-service family does you credit. However, the facts are likely to reveal another story, I'm sorry to say. No doubt more like America's mullet class.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Such an unstinting belief in human nature in accepting the possibility that this is in fact a middle-class cucumber-sandwiches-with-the-vicar-after-service family does you credit. However, the facts are likely to reveal another story, I'm sorry to say. No doubt more like America's mullet class.

Yes, you more than likely correct, that these individuals may indeed be members of the mullet class.

I was simply taken aback by judging an entire families lifestyle based on superfluous evidence. Since some people are just mentally unstable or sociopaths regardless of upbringing.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I was simply taken aback by judging an entire families lifestyle based on superfluous evidence. Since some people are just mentally unstable or sociopaths regardless of upbringing.
I agree that in the real world this would be extremely bigoted. But on a forum like this we aren't face to face with the people concerned so all we have to base our opinions on is what we read. The facts as presented (mother drunk on the couch) suggest this isn't the best of families. The alternative is for no-one to say anything here until we know all the facts - but then it would be a pretty quiet forum. :D That's all. I shouldn't form the impression that MR is full of loaded guns. Some here seem ready to kill, just not all. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.