Boy Scout National Jamboree

Discussion in 'Community' started by MongoTheGeek, Jul 19, 2005.

1. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I am going to be off for 3 weeks. Its a vacation of sorts. I'll be at the BSA National Jamboree. Its a vacation of sorts because I will be teaching the Electronics Merit Badge. That and staffing the booth, helping setup etc.

The boys (including my son) arrive on Sunday. I arrive tomorrow. This is likely my last post until mid August.

Ladies and Gentleman,
    Take my advice.
    Pull down you pants
    And slide on the ice.

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I might make it up there for a few days, but I won't be staying for the entire event.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oooo gonna teach 'em how to build a librarian annoyer?

4. MongoTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

The project flashes not beeps. I am doing Binary Logic, Base 10, Binary, Hex.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So what would that be then, a plane'arium annoyer? ;)

Shoot, I made a couple little things like that when I was a kid. Fun stuff. Burned myself with a soldering iron a few times too. Still got the scars on my fingers.

6. MongoTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Yeah I have my share of solder burns as well. I am not supervising the construction. I am just teaching theory. From the look of it the theory isn't that rough either.

Someone else is going to be supervising the soldering. Hopefully we are next to the first aid station. ;)

7. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Eagle Scouts represent! I always wished I went to the national jamboree. Big scouting events always have a cultish feel to them. Kinda creepy, but still a great time.

8. mbdamdg macrumors member

another Eagle scout here -
    I've got some friends going to the jamboree - but not me, unfortunately, although i haven't really done much in scouts after we did Philmont last year.
    That was an amazing trip up in the mountains, and I would love to go back.

Have fun!

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I worked for the Scouts in my area for a few years as a District Executive. Cultish is right...downright scary! All they wanted to do is tell me how they could do Scouting better. When I did summer camp it was great because the kids didn't get involved in the program-bashing (I guess they learn it as they get older) and were a lot of fun. I looked at the local council web site the other day. Same adults on staff that have been doing it for years...they really need to get a life.

Don't mean to diss on your parade, I'm just not a big fan of groups that exclude people for one reason or another. :confused: :( :confused:

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Cool! I wish I was going. My council (Mohegan) is sending two troops (123 and 124), lots of my friends are going.

I was just at summer camp this past week. Made Life. I just need to start working on my Eagle project. And 4 more merit badges (eagle required). I think I can be Eagle by April 2006 (that's my goal).

Also, I'm planing on going for my Brotherhood this fall with the O/A (now the O/A is cultish!), which is when I should be done with SPL of my troop. After I get Eagle, I'm thinking maybe run for vice Lodge chief?? Mind you, I'll only be 16, so I do have time to spare.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Another Eagle Scout here!

A national jamboree is something I hope to check put someday... I did make it to Philmont though back in '98 - good times.

To iSaint: I had some bad experiences volunteering with the BSA as an adult too, and mostly it is because the Boy Scouts rely heavily on volunteers. The people who are willing to make large time commitments and essentially "work for free" are the ones that often get positions of responsibility - sometimes they aren't the best person for the job but people don't get paid to do it. Generally these problems don't effect the kids but they can make running the organization a pain because district offices become cliques.

I still think that the BSA has a lot to offer kids and I'll continue volunteering my time when I can.

And Mongo, good luck with the merit badge couseling!

12. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Eagle Scout (w/ 2 Palms w00t!), Philmont, Vigil Honor, Lodge Chief ... I've been busy in Scouting.

Jambo is just too damn big for me, though. Greater Alabama Council is hosting an encampment @ Talladega in November, where I'll be on video production staff for the weekend, and they're expecting 30,000 people to show up.

I'll have a blast, I'm sure, but man. 30k is just too many people. I'd much rather go to NOAC w/ ~7,000 OA members for a week than ~50,000 Scouts and Scouters for any length of time.

13. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Me, too! Crew 626-H from Huntsville, AL.

14. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Heard about the accident, hope you guys are okay.

(yes, i realize they wont see this til they get back)

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

terribly sad... hopefully they'll be able to counsel the kids and learn from the accident...

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I heard this on the radio this morning - my thoughts are with you and the rest of the group, Mongo :(

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, that's terrible. Only thing I heard at first was 'electrical accident' and I was worried about Mr. Geek right away. Hope everthing's ok for everyone else... Sorry to hear about the guys from Alaska. :(

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

More problems... Mongo, I hope you're okay out there!

Link

:(

19. everybodylikepi macrumors member

everybodylikepi

Another Eagle Scout here! Bronze palms, OA, Philmont '02, SeaBase '02, etc..
    It's great to see a few other Eagles here.

20. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I'm an Eagle Scout. 1984. I hate to see all this trouble and I hope the kids are having a good time in spite of it.

21. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Now that I have a son, I'm starting to remember my Scouting years in a new light. I'm considering getting involved again in a few years when he comes of age, however your comments make me question whether this is a good idea. Is this negative adult experience predominant throughout the US or more of an isolated case?

22. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Eagle Scout as of September 10, 2002...Exactly one month after my 18th!

I feel for all the people who were involved in all the mishaps that have happened at the Jamboree. I always like seeing Scouts in the news, but not like this.

I myself have returned from summer camp last down in Cincinnati, Ohio (Dan Beard Council).

I think I will work for a summer camp next year.

23. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I can't help but think that people who work for Apple or Google are any different.

As for negative adult experiences with Scouting, the best way to avoid those are as follows:

1) Remember why you are there. You are not there for your own personal gain or advancement (in Scouting that is). You are there so that other boys can have an experience that you had as a Scout.

2) Do not live through your son's Scouting experience. This is really a rule of parenting though (or so I am told by my parents), it is never good to live through your children. Basically though, give your son space to grow and explore without Dad constantly looking over his shoulder.

(side story) There was a family in my troop that had this problem. The parents were so involved that it was great for the troop, terrible for the boys. They could never equal mom and dad. Heck, at the oldest son's Eagle ceremony the thing that everyone remembers is his dad getting all chocked up. One of the most significant days of his life and the lime light was stolen by dad (unintentionally). He was 15 and he basically quit scouting after that because he had no breathing room.

Now my Dad didn't hadly do anything with the troop. So I was guided by other adults in my scouting career. Something that I found out my dad wanted me to have, the ability to find my own mentors. My Eagle project was my own. I found my own help for it. Though I wish he had done some things with the troop.

I say this not to discourage you, but to warn you of what to look out for. I would say be as active as can be in the first 2 to 3 years. Be the Scoutmaster if you have the time. Help out as much as possible while your son is still more of a child than a young adult or a teenager. By the time 8th grade grade comes along, back off a little. Be an assistant scoutmasters, or a committee member. Go on a few campouts but not single one. Be encouraging at this point for your Son to stay in scouts (as this is the time when most quit) while he is doing other activities. Believe it or not Scouting promotes sports and physical fitness.

You don't want to kill his interest by your stepping down, but at the same time you want to give him time to himself at HIS organization. Let him gain mentors that aren't dad's friends.

Above all else, have fun. Scouting is great as an adult leader, and we have a blast doing things with the youth. We have to remember though, that while we may have fun doing it, the reason we are there is so that the Scouts can be there.

24. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I hear where you're coming from Brother Michael. I can remember my parents involvement in activities when I was growing up. In the early years it was fine, but as I grew older, I wanted my own space. My father was seldom involved, he was there, just not involfed. That's something I wish to correct with my son. I just need to learn when to back off....