Boy Stabs Father's Killer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, May 2, 2006.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That sound you just heard was all of the world's human rights efforts being flushed down the toilet.

Link.

I think this deserves a :mad: .

2. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

I know it sounds brutal, but it really doesn't bother me too much. The man was convicted of murder. The method does seem harsh but effective.

Also I think this thread might be better off in the political forum. It seems like discussions of the death penalty fit better there.

3. Bunnyman4 Guest

You just don’t understand, it’s just going to carry on….and on...

4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Actually, this may be better off in the political forum...

I wasn't commenting on the death penalty per se; traditional Islamic law (among others) is pretty much totally at varaince with international human rights efforts.

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Eh I've never really agreed with the death penalty at all, but at least this makes a bit more sence than the state doing it. If the victims feel strong enough about it to actually go through with killing another human then I say all power to em.

6. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

I completely understand your sentiment, but the reality is that an foreign culture can't be made to think & act as "we" do.

As an American who has lived on 2 continents and visited...i dunno, maybe 50 countries I think that the most certain course to disaster is trying to make whole cultures and/or nations live by "our" standards. People must choose justice over vengence for themselves. If it is forced upon them they will resist. *looks toward Iraq.

7. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree with you; I'm an anthropologist by training so I have a background in cultural relativism...the problem is that differences in cultural values cause conflict, and theocratic nations are not historically known for tolerance. Intolerance is a bigger problem in the nuclear/internet age than it was before, since isolation is nearly impossible, and conflict has bigger consequences.

I personally recognize the right of a group to operate under, say, traditional Islamic law. However, those groups must also recognize that they cannot deal with everyone the same way they deal with each other...cultural relativism or not, this can spell trouble.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

all i know is this just seems a little disturbing

You're happy you killed someone? You have got to be fracking kidding me.

Anyone that would be happy to kill someone needs some lithium in their diet.

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

And we're all right behind you, America!

10. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

I for one can see the motivation behind the boy killing the murderer. If someone were to murder my father I would want to kill him. I am not sure I would, but I would sure feel the desire for his/her death.

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Yup, I'd feel the same way as well. I'm positive I'd be able to go through with it if allowed though. Rage can be a very strong motivator.

12. toontra macrumors 6502

What's to say this 16 year old won't be as traumatised in tears to come about having killed someone as about losing his farther.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This reminds me of a tribal law case in Afghanistan. Two teenagers decided to elope and were caught. Their acts brought great shame and instability to the village. The solution? The father of the girl killed the boy, and the father of the boy killed the girl. Problem solved.

While certainly ethically questionable by western standards, I have to admire it's simplicity and obvious utility. Any society needs the rule of law to remain stable, regardless of it's relative abhorrence.

I can't comment on whether locals quietly sigh at the pain and waste that such a policy creates, or whether the boy in the quoted article will feel guilt or remorse about what he has done. I can speculate, however, that the desire to keep order and legitimacy in their society probably trumps such concerns.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It makes far less sense. The reason for state executions - flawed though it is - is that crime is a problem for the harmonious functioning of society as a whole, rather than just the individual victim(s), so its prosecution should be also. Otherwise, we return to the model which produced the Sicilian and Corsican mafias, and probably every other mafia, whereby one must align oneself to a powerful clan in order to survive the endless round of vendetta.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i must admit, i see little difference between the acts in this story and capitol punishment in the US. i mean, just look at some of the "i have no problem with that" comments in this thread.

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Villager: "An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.
    Tevye: Very good. That way the whole world will be blind and toothless." One of my favorites from Fiddler.

17. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The difference for me is that I could bring myself to allow the state to execute a person who killed a loved one, but I could not stick a knife into somebody's neck and watch their heart pump their veins dry. Even if I did it in hot blood, I know it would bother me later, no matter how
    "just" I would think it was.

Of course, let us not forget that life is a lot cheaper in Somalia than it is in the developed world. I doubt that the event caused anything near the reaction it does "here".

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Would it really be less bothersome to delegate the revenge - that is what it sounds like, otherwise why differentiate between a "loved one" and anyone else? - than to wreak it yourself?

Life is priceless everywhere. But I suppose you were being ironic.

19. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I was relating how I feel - people are full of contradictions. In both cases I was referring to a scenario involving a personal motive for revenge (or justice, closure, whatever you might call it). I could bring myself to allow a person to be executed for a crime, but I couldn't kill him myself. It is hypocritical of me, but that is how I feel.

As to life being cheap, I'm certainly not making a judgement of worth - "we" (in developed nations with stable governments) aren't any more compassionate or cruel than they are, but we aren't faced with many of the choices they have to make either.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

See I could very easily murder someone who had done the same to a family member, given the chance. And not feel bad about it at all. Bare handed if that's all I had.

That's why the state should step in and apply a dispassionate hand. Justice and revenge are largely incompatible.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Which is why, in a civilized society, you wouldn't be able to. At least not without repercussions. I know I'd want to as well, but society is supposed to be based on justice (even when not perfect), not vengeance. Forgiveness is even harder.