Boy swaps MikeRoweSoft for Xbox

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jan 26, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. Pseudonym macrumors regular

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

darn you beat me! Was just reading that on the beebs site :p

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

cheeky wasn't it.... :p although not as cheeky as his $10k request.... heheheheh

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I thought $10k was fine, I mean seriously, Microsoft wouldn't even notice it had gone.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    nice deal. i wish my name was mike rowe hehe but i would have asked for the xbox 2 instead when it comes out hahah

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i don't know what the content was, but i don't believe he was guilty of trademark infringement in any way based on the name of the site. i would have fought MS, just for principal. i guess the idea wasn't too important to him tho, to be so willing to swap. When MS shakes it's fist, some people get scared, some get pissed off (like me). Some get greedy :)

paul

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that Mike Rowe got a good deal. The help that Microsoft has offered should be very valuable to him in the future.

The problem with taking Microsoft to court is there power and money. They would tie up his litigation in the courts for years. In the end he could have ended up in debt and nothing to show for his trouble.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Exactly... Sadly, people need to be willing to challenge their lawyers, because obviously the government does not believe laws truly apply to Microsoft. Their power grows each time someone lets them walk all over them, like this kid did.

Like i said, principal of the thing. i can't blame him too much for taking the deal ;) tho after the initial threat by MS, which was plain rude, i don't think i would have asked for MS products and services--

paul

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think that was done as a trap, to entice him to ask for more. AFAIK, once he asks for money for the domain, he's a lot more likely to be seen as a cybersquatter and less likely to win a case.

(by the by, I love the last line of that article!)

11. d-fi macrumors member

Microsoft

Microsoft probibly spent more money paying their lawyers then they did settling with Mike Rowe:D

12. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

He got a great deal. Free goodies, and they are going to help him become MS certified, which will be worth more than 10K in the future.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Microsoft

hehe, probably, but again, this cost would be completely insignificant.